OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

You'd have a better idea than any of us, but what are the odds the FDA relaxes some of the approval processes in order to get things out to the public sooner? I know that's not ideal, and we want to be safe, but we're in desperate times.

Am I misremembering that this is how I Am Legend started?

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I asked my instacart driver to leave my order on my stairs and put my id in a plastic bag.

I may be going extreme but I put a trashbag down so I can put my bags on it versus my rug and plan to use gloves when wiping down my food with wipes.

You're not going extreme . You're doing exactly what needs to be done

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
OK now I am scared

:cry:

U.S. coronavirus plan anticipates 18-month pandemic | Boston.com

WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Donald Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the “additional key federal decisions” listed among the options for Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

“Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure,” the plan warned. “This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations.” PPE refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: “State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly.”

Read that Imperial College of London came up with similar conclusions.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
You're not going extreme . You're doing exactly what needs to be done
Thanks!

I threw the plastic bags away immediately and then sprayed that bag with lysol.

I wipe down my mail as well.

I do have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow to adjust my glasses due to the horrible headache they give me but outside of that and doing laundry at my mom's, I am hunkering down.

Reactions: hrdpuk

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Meanwhile, my company has said it will at the moment continue daily operations / policies 'as normal' regardless of other restrictions because the service we provide is critical to the US commerce.

The facility I am in we run sometimes 4 or 5 shifts a day with anywhere between 100 - 150 people per shift working in close proximity to each other. These people come from all over the county and neighboring counties. Thankfully, there are not yet any reports of people infected in the county.

I manage anywhere from 10 - 30 people directly daily face to face multiple engagements. This is going to be interesting as attendance policy is still being enforced. What I have noticed this week is our workload has increased because other companies have reduced their business. I have also noticed that our staffing numbers have dropped because people haven't come to work for one reason or another. Unfortunately if they miss too many days they won't have a job. Additionally, we are still hiring like crazy. ... this whole thing is a little surreal.

(And no I don't work for JJ)

Last edited:

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I was listening to coast2coastam last night they had a guest on Major Ed Dames who has worked within the US government as something along the lines of preventing bioterrorism ... he said, amongst other troubling comments, that what we've seen so far is nothing ... that this thing won't peak most likely for 9 months, and it won't be good.
Very sobering. And gives a sliver of credence to some other non-mainstream reports 'of the like' that many polititions are trying to play down. Which I guess is to keep people from panicking, but I don't think I've heard them outright say these 'other' reports are untrue.
I really hope this thing blows over quickly and that these other reports are wrong, but if not, I'm also trying to prepare myself mentally for what may come ... if that is possible.

9 months does't make much sense to me. With how fast it's spreading it simply cannot take that long to peak. And even if it did take that long life would have long since returned to normal. At what point do you just have to say, okay millions will die, but the other 310 million people have to live their lives.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
This is infuriating

Those people are

source.gif

Reactions: lopey and Alicat

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
They are the reason we are all going to be social distancing until god knows when.

Florida needs to enact martial law and tell these morons to go home and isolate themselves until further notice.

They also need to enact Italy's threatening of manslaughter charges for people who are found with the virus not quarantining.

Reactions: lopey and Alicat

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
They are the reason we are all going to be social distancing until god knows when.

Florida needs to enact martial law and tell these morons to go home and isolate themselves until further notice.

Think of the first Jaws movie and why they wouldn't close the beaches.

What the 4th of July is to New England beaches, spring break is to Florida. ... just saying.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario

I don't understand how people can go on like this like nothing is happening. When gov'ts act as the worlds gov't are right now, its no joke. Kids gotta "PARTY" IDIOT

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
You are remembering correctly. A drug was fast tracked.

If a drug is already in use for a specific indication. Meaning its been approved and all its side effects and safety issues are known from its clinical....then yes it vcan very well be fast tracked for a different indication.
Lots of drugs can be used for more than one thing.....usually its found out by accident.

The post I made about Kevzara would be in that category. Safety complete, documented and approved.

Now prove statistical efficacy for new indication.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
We should have gone into WWII mode and changed as best we could manufacturing to produce needed goods o fight the virus

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
just a snippet (its pages long ) from a white paper today from France:

Abstract
Background
Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have been found to be efficient on SARS-CoV-2, and reported to be efficient in Chinese COV-19 patients. We evaluate the role of hydroxychloroquine on respiratory viral loads.
Patients and methods
Patients were included in a single arm protocol to receive 600mg of hydroxychloroquine daily and their viral load in nasal swabs was tested daily. Depending on their clinical presentation, azithromycin was added to the treatment. Untreated patients from another center and cases refusing the protocol were included as negative controls. Presence and absence of virus at Day6-post inclusion was considered the end point.
Results
Twenty cases were treated in this study and showed a significant reduction of the viral carriage at D6-post inclusion compared to controls, and much lower average carrying duration than reported of untreated patients in the literature. Azithromycin added to hydroxychloroquine was significantly more efficient for virus elimination.
Conclusion
Hydroxychloroquine is significantly associated with viral load reduction/disappearance in COVID-19 patients and its effect is reinforced by azithromycin.

Key words: 2019-nCoV; SARS-CoV-2; COVID-19; hydroxychloroquine; azithomycin; clinical trial

Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial
Philippe Gautreta,b$, Jean-Christophe Lagiera,c$, Philippe Parolaa,b, Van Thuan Hoanga,b,d, Line Meddeba, Morgane Mailhea, Barbara Doudiera, Johan Courjone,f,g, Valérie Giordanengoh, Vera Esteves Vieiraa, Hervé Tissot Duponta,c, Stéphane Honoréi,j, Philippe Colsona,c, Eric Chabrièrea,c, Bernard La Scolaa,c, Jean-Marc Rolaina,c, Philippe Brouquia,c, Didier Raoulta,c*.
aIHU-Méditerranée Infection, Marseille, France.
bAix Marseille Univ, IRD, AP-HM, SSA, VITROME, Marseille, France.
cAix Marseille Univ, IRD, APHM, MEPHI, Marseille, France.
dThai Binh University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Thai Binh, Viet Nam
eInfectiologie, Hôpital de l’Archet, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nice, Nice, France

For ethical reasons and because our first results are so significant and evident we decide to share our findings with the medical community, given the urgent need for an effective drug against SARS-CoV-2 in the current pandemic context.

We show here that hydroxychloroquine is efficient in clearing viral nasopharyngeal carriage of SARS-CoV-2 in COVID-19 patients in only three to six days, in most patients. A significant difference was observed between hydroxychloroquine-treated patients and controls starting even on day3 post-inclusion. These results are of great importance because a recent paper has shown that the mean duration of viral shedding in patients suffering from COVID-19 in China was 20 days (even 37 days for the longest duration) [19]

Very recently, a Chinese team published results of a study demonstrating that chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine inhibit SARS-CoV-2 in vitro with hydroxychloroquine (EC50=0.72%µM) found to be more potent than chloroquine (EC50=5.47%µM) [14]. These in vitro results corroborate our clinical results. The target values indicated in this paper [14] were reached in our experiments. The safer dose-dependent toxicity profile of hydroxychloroquine in humans, compared to that of chloroquine [13] allows using clinical doses of hydroxychloroquine that will be over its EC50 observed in vitro [14].

Our preliminary results also suggest a synergistic effect of the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. Azithromycin has been shown to be active in vitro against Zika and Ebola viruses [20-22] and to prevent severe respiratory tract infections when administrated to patients suffering viral infection [23]. This finding should be further explored to know whether a combination is more effective especially in severe cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->