Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
OK now I am scared

:cry:

U.S. coronavirus plan anticipates 18-month pandemic | Boston.com

WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Donald Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the “additional key federal decisions” listed among the options for Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

“Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure,” the plan warned. “This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations.” PPE refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: “State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly.”

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
OK now I am scared

:cry:

U.S. coronavirus plan anticipates 18-month pandemic | Boston.com

WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Donald Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the “additional key federal decisions” listed among the options for Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

“Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure,” the plan warned. “This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations.” PPE refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: “State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly.”

Trump needed to activate those powers at least
last Friday. My daughter is a PT at a hospital
and like all hospitals low on PPE. She is deciding
on a patient basis when to use a mask. This is ridiculous
our hospital staff has to make decisions like that.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
This is whyyyyyyyyy

As a human collective super organism, we need to drastically change our values as people

Food, water, energy

You sustain those three things, and you absolutely can via science and technology, everything beyond that is gravy. So when shit like this happens, you can weather the storm for a long time.

So much money and physical resources have been put into war, weapons of war, padding the coffers of the already outrageously wealthy (who then in turn do not reinvest it back into the world) subsidizing coporate farms (just check out how much of your taxes go to corporate subsidies vs welfare programs) who end up just draining and damaging our land while they make unhealthy food (corn, yeah? I mean I love corn and I plan to grow some this summer but it’s a pretty useless and unhealthy vegetable in the grand scheme of things)

Can you imagine if we have been pooling our resources to invent ways to grow food in more areas of the world, more inventive ways that either don’t require soil or allow you to change the nature of the soil where you live? Grow year round? Produce electricity right on your own land? Pump and clean water? Keep the lights on, the heat, stay hydrated and stay fed. Then, beautiful wonderful capitalism is just the icing on top. We can watch the markets go up and down, have fun with luxuries, but when things like this happen we can take a break and just focus on what matters.

When electricity was discovered a long time ago, scientists already started working on ways to use it for a great number of things including transportation. But we allowed powerful interests to force combustion to the top.

This is a pivotal moment to start thinking about what really matters to us as a species and reprioritize

Our grand children may look back one day and see this as the pivotal moment when humans said enough is enough to greed and excess, they started working towards a common goal, science and health became the focus. We saved the planet. We staved off a pandemic. It can be done. If we don’t act soon, there might be nothing left, and I’m not just talking about corona

If you squeezed the entire history of the earth into a 24 hour clock, humans didn’t show up until the last second before midnight, and our history of intellect and technology is even smaller. We’re a blip. A nothing. In a vastly gigantic universe. The earth was here long before us and will be here long after we’re gone. It’s up to us to decide whether or not we want to be a blip or something far greater in the grand scheme of creation.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Time to tell the top 100,000 families in this country
its time to liquidate some of their excessive wealth
for the greater good. Maybe not by taxation straight
to Federal Govt, but by aligning them with hospitals
across the country to pay for PPE, modular hospitals
medical equipment, etc.

They should be the first group made to sacrifice.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Time to tell the top 100,000 families in this country
its time to liquidate some of their excessive wealth
for the greater good. Maybe not by taxation straight
to Federal Govt, but by aligning them with hospitals
across the country to pay for PPE, modular hospitals
medical equipment, etc.

They should be the first group made to sacrifice.
Fat Chance.

My VP went around taking people's temperatures this morning. Mine was the usual 95. something ( I always run low). I had a chat with him about my age and WFH. I think I might be able to .

I brought the work laptop home last night but couldn't get on to the main system we use for Planning . I am working on getting that fixed. Once it is running at home I am going to try and stay home.
:crossfing

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Fat Chance.

My VP went around taking people's temperatures this morning. Mine was the usual 95. something ( I always run low). I had a chat with him about my age and WFH. I think I might be able to .

I brought the work laptop home last night but couldn't get on to the main system we use for Planning . I am working on getting that fixed. Once it is running at home I am going to try and stay home.
:crossfing

This is kind of a risky thing to do and I’d imagine violates some kind of health code or privacy law

Why wouldn’t they just give all of you your own thermometer and let you monitor it and then go home if it spiked?

Also wow 95? That’s really low for an internal temp! Mine used to always hit 98.6 on the dot and now it typically is 97.5 which I thought was low but 95 wow!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This is kind of a risky thing to do and I’d imagine violates some kind of health code or privacy law

Why wouldn’t they just give all of you your own thermometer and let you monitor it and then go home if it spiked?

Also wow 95? That’s really low for an internal temp! Mine used to always hit 98.6 on the dot and now it typically is 97.5 which I thought was low but 95 wow!
It didn't touch my head.

They want everyone to take there own temp. before coming to work.

I guess thermometers are scarce at this time

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
This is whyyyyyyyyy

As a human collective super organism, we need to drastically change our values as people

Food, water, energy

A lot of great points here. Its unfortunate that there are so many "**** you I got mine" kind of people that worry only about their little bubble and don't care about the big picture.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
A lot of great points here. Its unfortunate that there are so many "**** you I got mine" kind of people that worry only about their little bubble and don't care about the big picture.

Certainly. And some can look at what I say as “crazy” but at the end of the day, the great moments in our time were always brushed off until they became everyone’s problem. Listen to science and listen to the concerns from people shared when it’s not about them. Every person in history that’s ever came out and said hey we need to do this big thing because this is what the data says is brushed off until it’s too late. You’d think we’d learn from our past mistakes but people are stuck in a record. There’s no difference between 2020 and 1850 or 1600 if you choose to ignore science, it’s all the same ignorance.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
They are talking about people doing their own nasal swabbing and while I get the thought behind it, it is a very bad idea. No untrained person should be shoving swabs up their nose.

This is an ENT's worst nightmare.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
National shortage of swabs limits coronavirus tests; doctors report long backlogs for results - The Boston Globe

A national shortage of specialized swabs forced Beth Israel Lahey Health to halt outpatient screening for the coronavirus, reserving tests for the most severe cases that require hospitalization.

The long, skinny swabs used to collect material from the upper throat have been in global demand as the coronavirus pandemic spreads.

“Beth Israel Lahey Health sites are temporarily suspending influenza testing and limiting eligibility for COVID-19 testing, due to a national shortage of testing swabs,” said Jennifer Kritz, director of communications. This will allow us to continue COVID-19 testing for the most seriously ill patients and our caregivers until supply chain issues are resolved.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I just had a total meltdown with my boss. He's not exactly the warm and fuzzy type so I don't think he really knew what to do with me.

It's hard being in healthcare right now. We need to run. We need to be beacons of strength. But the reality is not 100% of our staff are front line and I am struggling with the "business as usual, everyone in the office" mentality. My boss has repeatedly told me he doesn't care if I work from Mars, but as the head of my department, I have no intention of working from home 100% if my team can't do the same.

In addition, even some of our front line staff are uneasy, or have second jobs that are telling them they can't work here during this, or have their own health problems or a family member has health problems.

It's such a delicate balance to strike between the show must go on and honoring the human side of it. As HR, I often feel like I'm on an island looking out for the people and it's lonely and stressful and it finally got to me today.

In many ways, I needed to get it out and feel better - I just hate how showing emotion is so often seen as a sign of weakness. I think it's a strength.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I just had a total meltdown with my boss. He's not exactly the warm and fuzzy type so I don't think he really knew what to do with me.

It's hard being in healthcare right now. We need to run. We need to be beacons of strength. But the reality is not 100% of our staff are front line and I am struggling with the "business as usual, everyone in the office" mentality. My boss has repeatedly told me he doesn't care if I work from Mars, but as the head of my department, I have no intention of working from home 100% if my team can't do the same.

In addition, even some of our front line staff are uneasy, or have second jobs that are telling them they can't work here during this, or have their own health problems or a family member has health problems.

It's such a delicate balance to strike between the show must go on and honoring the human side of it. As HR, I often feel like I'm on an island looking out for the people and it's lonely and stressful and it finally got to me today.

In many ways, I needed to get it out and feel better - I just hate how showing emotion is so often seen as a sign of weakness. I think it's a strength.
Sending you a virtual hug. I can't imagine what you and your employees are going through right now. Vent away, we are here for you.

Reactions: sleepyh and sooshii

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CBC suspends local TV newscasts amid COVID-19 outbreak | Fagstein

Local news is vital. It provides an essential service, especially in times of emergency. People rely on local broadcasters to provide the up-to-the-minute information told by local journalists.

So what does the CBC do during an unprecedented public health crisis? It shuts it all down.

The public broadcaster announced Wednesday that effective immediately it is “consolidating” its TV news coverage, and replacing the 6pm and 11pm local newscasts at all of its stations (except CBC North, which provides news in Inuktitut) with CBC News Network.

According to a memo sent to staff this morning, the decision was made because of a lack of staff at CBC’s Toronto Broadcast Centre, which handles master control (why it has a lack of staff is not explained), as well as “much stricter newsgathering protocols.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad