OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

At some point they have to think about shutting down the stock market, right? Or even shorten the hours. We are in panic selling mode, and everything is being driven by fear, not rational thought.

People's retirement accounts are being decimated, and the FED's itchy trigger finger has left them powerless.

No. Not at all.

You wanna see panic? Close the market. You’re cutting off individuals access to their assets, access to capital markets for businesses, income from dividends to individuals, etc.

What will people do then?

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Good time to be wealthy and invest at this point. How the rich get richer....

i dont consider myself rich...just lucky.

I will be pumping max into my 401K and because I have cash I will be looking at deals. Maybe real estate. A summer place maybe.
Maybe a new vehicle at a price I cant refuse.
Who knows?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
again the original and documented ostrich approach will be the essential cause of death that we are about to see.

Hopefully it will never be condoned again.
Apparently they have that under control, the virus will magically disappear, he said.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Spent 10 hours today in meetings to discuss what can we do in our manufacturing and distribution sites when, not if, it hits our workforce.
There are some jobs that cant be WFH.
We had to shut down Lyon, France. If not back up in running in a few weeks an impact will be felt.

Worldwide for my company it will impact availability of insulin, most vaccines for adults and children, chemotherapy drugs, and numerous over the counter drugs.

and thats just us. One company.

I really think that impact will be worse to overall population than the virus.

Thats what really pisses me off with these ‘Boomer Remover” dumb f***s.
Really? How you gonna feel when your your brother, sister, mate. Parent cant get their insulin or chemo or tissue repair dressings or vaccines for children?

dumb f***s.

member 96824

Analysts are saying by the end of this year fortunately.

Analysts are great if you like to record the weather channel and watch it a week later.:laugh:

I don’t think we can predict anything economic until we at least have a grasp on the virus. After that, you can start to model out economic impact and length and the second order effects.

This isn’t a model based market at the moment though, this one is driven by 2 things: News and liquidity.

It’s going to react when cases continue to climb here in the US, it’s going to react when unemployment numbers hit, it’s going to react when congress passes the stimulus bill, etc..but one thing is for sure, it’s not fundamentally driven right now and it’s crushing any technical “support” levels that it touches.

Not meant to be a fear monger..but just be wary of anyone telling you they see the other side of the market. The oldest lie in finance is “I know what’s going to happen” 2000 and 1929 took over 600 trading days to bottom. 87 took around 50. Who knows, that’s why it’s important to stick to a plan.

Dollar cost averaging and diversity are your best friends in both the best and worst of times.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
i dont consider myself rich...just lucky.

I will be pumping max into my 401K and because I have cash I will be looking at deals. Maybe real estate. A summer place maybe.
Maybe a new vehicle at a price I cant refuse.
Who knows?

Might as well! I have plenty of time, I will be patient... whether to go for more stock or 401k I do not know.

Good time to buy a dream vehicle I imagine, might get a dream price as well!

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Spent 10 hours today in meetings to discuss what can we do in our manufacturing and distribution sites when, not if, it hits our workforce.
There are some jobs that cant be WFH.
We had to shut down Lyon, France. If not back up in running in a few weeks an impact will be felt.

Worldwide for my company it will impact availability of insulin, most vaccines for adults and children, chemotherapy drugs, and numerous over the counter drugs.

and thats just us. One company.

I really think that impact will be worse to overall population than the virus.

Thats what really pisses me off with these ‘Boomer Remover” dumb f***s.
Really? How you gonna feel when your your brother, sister, mate. Parent cant get their insulin or chemo or tissue repair dressings or vaccines for children?

dumb f***s.
Thanks Wally. Don’t forget to sleep.

Reactions: lopey

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I put this in the OT thread but it probably belongs here as it is because of the corona situation

so I have a situation. My neighbors are the type that always cry poor. When the husband was on strike friends gave them money so help pay their bills and feed their kids. When he went back to work instead of saying thank you and giving money back to the ones that gave it to them (in some cases thousands) they went out and bought a boat, a motorcycle went over seas on vacation a few months ago, just got back from a florida vacation last week.

Now they are saying to us they don't have any money he can't work OT (he is considered essential so will continue to work through the lockdown). They don't have enough money for food they say.

Do I step up and give them some food knowing they are probably fine and taking advantage and would not do the same in return. Very selfish people and if it was just the two of them i wouldn't even blink but the kids are my kids ages and it is killing me.

in the meantime I have no idea if I will have a job for long or my wife either. again he will keep his as he is union and essential. They know I am kind of a prepper but on a small scale. I am always worried about finances so i keep a good store of items on hand for the family in case of financial hardship which maybe coming very fast.

I hate when people are like that and spend spend spend vacations, cars, toys and cry I have no money and wait a bailout days after something like this happens. Yet I have saved and over time prepared for a situation like this so I don't have to leave the house.

what would you all do? am i selfish wanting to tell them you should have thought about this when you were given money last year during you strike and not gone out and spent the hard earned money people gave you to feed your family?

i am rambling because I am very upset about this right now!!

/end rant

First off YOU ARE NOT SELFISH! YOU ARE NOT SELFISH! YOU. ARE. NOT. SELFISH!!!
You sound as though you're describing my brother. Same bullshit as your neighbors.
I won't go into specifics but the guy has lost hundreds of thousands from people leaving him/them money. Then they make their FREE house into a disgusting mess, almost made it a condemned situation. They had a prime piece of property in the heart of Somerville (again, they got it with no mortgage). It was totally gutted and they got it for ZERO! They (him and my sis in law) ended up selling it for half of what it was worth and moving out to the boonies in a trailer. NOW a year later they're in trouble AGAIN! No elders left to die and leave them $$$$ so he's lashing out at everyone and blaming everyone for the shithole of a life he's made. I only hear from him when he wants something or wants to whine about the crap that life has handed to him. He's a lazy bum. I worked from the time I was nine in my uncles store and throughout high school. He stayed home, watched sports and "relaxed" and was treated like a baby until both our parents passed.... It gets WAAAY worse but I'll tell you this, you can not save some people from themselves. Trust me on this.You should NOT lose one minute of sleep over this. Your neighbor needs to grow the f*** up. If it's me I would feed the kids but not him. I can't tell you more in case he reads here but he's even ruined his kids lives.... Like my brother, he's a user!

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Bruinaura You have been challenged

Needham bakery selling cookies with hand sanitizer, toilet paper frosting

NEEDHAM, MASS. (WHDH) - In an effort to bring a smile to the faces of residents in Needham, Hazel’s Bakery is cooking up sugar cookies with hand sanitizer and toilet paper frosting.

The bakery wanted to serve up a new sweet treat with a side of levity in wake of the evolving coronavirus pandemic that continues to grip the masses.

“People are like, ‘Oh, I’m so glad you have a sense of humor about this,'” bakery co-owner Stacey

Barton told 7NEWS. “We can find some humor in all of this in the dark times that we’re all going through.”

With panicked shoppers picking store shelves clean of sanitizer and toilet paper, the bakery wanted to capitalize on a chance to lighten the mood.

“My husband actually came up with the idea. He’s the baker here,” Barton said. “Honestly, me and all the other girls laughed and said, ‘No those will never sell.'”

Barton was quickly proven wrong. The cookies have since become as in-demand as the items on the frosting.

She says the bakery hopes the delicious distraction is the exact mental break that people need from the difficult times.

The bakery sold through several dozen cookies on Wednesday and will have to cook up more, according to Barton.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
It's our 2nd. I'll just say it here: we are at 13 weeks and we have never made it this far before. I'd be a nervous wreck no matter what. I think it'll be fine, I really do!
Best of Luck. My daughter is having her third in May and is VERY nervous with all that's going on. God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad