Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
CBC suspends local TV newscasts amid COVID-19 outbreak | Fagstein

Local news is vital. It provides an essential service, especially in times of emergency. People rely on local broadcasters to provide the up-to-the-minute information told by local journalists.

So what does the CBC do during an unprecedented public health crisis? It shuts it all down.

The public broadcaster announced Wednesday that effective immediately it is “consolidating” its TV news coverage, and replacing the 6pm and 11pm local newscasts at all of its stations (except CBC North, which provides news in Inuktitut) with CBC News Network.

According to a memo sent to staff this morning, the decision was made because of a lack of staff at CBC’s Toronto Broadcast Centre, which handles master control (why it has a lack of staff is not explained), as well as “much stricter newsgathering protocols.”

Fagstein? How unfortunate . . .

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
OK now I am scared

:cry:

U.S. coronavirus plan anticipates 18-month pandemic | Boston.com

WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Donald Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the “additional key federal decisions” listed among the options for Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

“Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure,” the plan warned. “This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations.” PPE refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: “State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly.”

I believe the plan is based on this Imperial College projection report. Having read it, I can say that it's terrifying. Basically says that if we don't do full suppression, we're looking at millions of deaths. That suppression would also have to last as long as we don't have a vaccine (potentially 18 months), as the transmission would rebound anytime we stop. Most people are going to struggle to financially survive for 2 months, let alone 18. Something's gotta give.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As a person with a strong faith, I tell what happened today knowing what it was, but I will leave it up to you guys.

I never have worked from home in my entire life. Today, I did. I set up downstairs, and since I have no sunlight I opened the blinds on the window. It was nice, and about an hour in, I noticed an elderly woman walking up the hill. This is not all that uncommon, but I noticed she had a light jacket and wheeled walker, which again, not all that uncommon. She kept getting stuck on rocks and seemed frustrated, and something seemed off to me so I went out. I talked to her a bit, and not being a medical professional I don't know exactly what to look for. She said she was afraid and needed to go to the store. The store is about a quarter mile, along a very busy road ( I live 4 houses in from there so she was close) where cars fly. I said I would share with her what I had and she said, no I want to go...I said what do you need, she again said I just need to go to the store.....at this point I ask her to hang tight, get my wife who is an elder care nurse and she comes out and starts talking to her...text my son who is on duty patrolling and he gets there in a minute...seconds later a woman comes running up the street yelling for her....it was the lady;s daughter. She has dementia and escaped from the house without them knowing....Had I not been sitting there, this day, at that moment, she more than likely would have been injured or worse yet killed. The woman, who we know, broke down crying, hugging all of us, thanking us for caring enough to find out what was going on, and how hard it's been. It was an incredibly precious moment for all of us in this very confusing and scary time..

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I keep looking to see if cold (refrigerator) , or heat (hot car) kills this thing, but have not found anything.
I'm sure an oven would kill it.
We are wiping all our food down with wipes.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I keep looking to see if cold (refrigerator) , or heat (hot car) kills this thing, but have not found anything.
I asked my instacart driver to leave my order on my stairs and put my id in a plastic bag.

I may be going extreme but I put a trashbag down so I can put my bags on it versus my rug and plan to use gloves when wiping down my food with wipes.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
You'd have a better idea than any of us, but what are the odds the FDA relaxes some of the approval processes in order to get things out to the public sooner? I know that's not ideal, and we want to be safe, but we're in desperate times.

There would be tremendous pressure on FDA/White House.....but I dont know .

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

We heat deactivate virus at 80 degrees C for 96 hours.......that's one mother hot car.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
If you squeezed the entire history of the earth into a 24 hour clock, humans didn’t show up until the last second before midnight, and our history of intellect and technology is even smaller. We’re a blip. A nothing. In a vastly gigantic universe. The earth was here long before us and will be here long after we’re gone. It’s up to us to decide whether or not we want to be a blip or something far greater in the grand scheme of creation.

This reminded of a George Carlin skit from years ago .."The Planet is Fine"

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I asked my instacart driver to leave my order on my stairs and put my id in a plastic bag.

I may be going extreme but I put a trashbag down so I can put my bags on it versus my rug and plan to use gloves when wiping down my food with wipes.

We all have our tolerances. I'm doing no form of takeout, and only no-contact grocery delivery (while that lasts - so thankful for the deliverers), and non-perishables stay in the basement out of the plastic bags for 5 days. Perishables...eh. I don't have any wipes (always used soap and water), so I chance it and put them in the fridge or freezer, and hope for the best, washing my hands before and after I eat. Same with mail - I have five piles of mail in the garage, and when I make a new pile from today's mail, I take the oldest pile in and deal with it.

I personally think the no-takeout is a reasonable step - I would -LOVE- to support local restaurants through this, but I think by not getting and spreading COVID-19 to their potential patrons who could get seriously ill or die, I am supporting them. I'll admit that the other stuff is a little extreme, but doesn't "cost" me much in time or effort, and gives me a sense of control.

The main transmission is still person-to-person, although it does seem to live in plastic for up to 5 days, and cardboard for supposedly 1-3 days - but frankly, the research is still out there. The best prevention is to wash hands (especially before/after eating, immediately upon coming home from anywhere, and after the bathroom) and keeping the 2 yard radius away from people not in your immediate household.

Oh, and great move by your doc to move you to a telephone visit. I already moved my annual checkup to June, and my mom said her doc said none of the regular docs are in the office - everyone's at the hospital.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
OK now I am scared

:cry:

U.S. coronavirus plan anticipates 18-month pandemic | Boston.com

WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Donald Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the “additional key federal decisions” listed among the options for Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

“Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure,” the plan warned. “This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations.” PPE refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: “State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly.”

I was listening to coast2coastam last night they had a guest on Major Ed Dames who has worked within the US government as something along the lines of preventing bioterrorism ... he said, amongst other troubling comments, that what we've seen so far is nothing ... that this thing won't peak most likely for 9 months, and it won't be good.
Very sobering. And gives a sliver of credence to some other non-mainstream reports 'of the like' that many polititions are trying to play down. Which I guess is to keep people from panicking, but I don't think I've heard them outright say these 'other' reports are untrue.
I really hope this thing blows over quickly and that these other reports are wrong, but if not, I'm also trying to prepare myself mentally for what may come ... if that is possible.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I am trying to be positive and post about potential cures or treatments, here's another one

Favipiravir by Fujifilm may treat Covid-19, say Chinese officials.

''In Shenzhen city in China, a clinical trial involving 80 participants demonstrated better chest improvement in those treated with Favipiravir, noted Zhang.
Also, patients treated with the drug tested negative for the genomic trace of the virus in lesser time, compared to those not administered with the drug.
The drug was able to shorten the recovery time from 11 days to four days for mild and regular cases.
Another trial in Wuhan showed that the drug shortened fever duration from an average of 4.2 days to 2.5 days.''

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad