All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
can anyone explain army making copley a key piece in a trade only to trade him right back ...:huh: .. what was the point ?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
can anyone explain army making copley a key piece in a trade only to trade him right back ...:huh: .. what was the point ?

We were going to lose him to Free Agency anyway, so trading him away was no big deal. He had to play basically every NHL game from when we traded him until his contract expired to get enough games not to qualify for Group 6 Unrestricted Free Agency (25 years or older, expired ELC, and played less than 28 games for a goalie). That wasn't going to happen. He was unlikely to re-sign due to the log jam. So we traded him.

As to why we traded for him? That is a more difficult question. Obviously we weren't sure what we had in Husso, and hadn't annointed him the heir apparent yet. The team has never shown any faith in Binnington. Copley was brought in as the next goalie in line. They obviously didn't like what they saw in hisfirst season in Chicago though. His first season after the trade, with Allen and Elliott both getting alternating injuries, we traded for Anders Nilsson. Neither Copley or Binnie had good numbers in their 1 (each) NHL game that season. Binnington was sub .800 and Copley in the mid-8's. They were both middling in the AHL, 2.75ish GAA and < .910 save percentage. Neither really took to the competition for time thing. Had Copley seized the reins and proven himself, we don't trade for Anders, he gets a few NHL games, and maybe he is our back-up the next year instead of Hutton. I assume that was the plan, to have either him or Binnington take back-up, but neither grabbed the opportunity. Had Copley done so, the trade may have looked differently in retrospect.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

It's a head-scratcher for sure. I've given it some thought since we currently have goalie trouble.

Maybe Armstrong had an agreement with Washington that if we didn't promote him to the NHL within a certain period of time, we would trade him back to Washington (if they still wanted him).

It looks like he is currently Washington's back-up goalie and doing OK.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
No major changes expected for the @SARampage lineup tonight in Grand Rapids, so who ya got for @RWtHLive's First Goal contest? I'm going with Kostin tonight. He's about to break out in a major way. Ya heard it here first.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
No major changes expected for the @SARampage lineup tonight in Grand Rapids, so who ya got for @RWtHLive's First Goal contest? I'm going with Kostin tonight. He's about to break out in a major way. Ya heard it here first.

Nate could you elaborate a bit on Kostin potentially breaking out? Has some facet of his game taken a step forward etc, thx.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Rampage down 2-3 so far. Crappy first period went down 0-3. Got two back in the second. Kostin with 1 assist, I thought he assisted on the other but it doesn't have it on there. Kyrou scored a back-door goal

Reactions: Celtic Note

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Kyrou feathers the puck to Kostin who beats the defense goes to the net and scores. Rampage down 3-4. Two of Grand Rapids goals have been on 5-3 powerplays, just too many penalties. Mikkola has looked great. Husso has played decent from what I have seen so far couldn't do much on some of these goals.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Maikkeli

Jul 12, 2016
Helsinki / Finland
Kyrou feathers the puck to Kostin who beats the defense goes to the net and scores. Rampage down 3-4. Two of Grand Rapids goals have been on 5-3 powerplays, just too many penalties. Mikkola has looked great. Husso has played decent from what I have seen so far couldn't do much on some of these goals.

Two 5-3 powerplays
One 5-4 powerplay
One 2-1 odd-man-rush

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
The @SARampage continue their midwest roadie tonight in the Windy City. Get your pick in now for the @RWtHLive First Goal Contest. I'm going with Tyler Wotherspoon tonight.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Kyrou scores again. Definitely starting to adjust to professional hockey. He’s going to be a good one.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
The @sarampage wrap up their second consecutive 3-in-3 weekend today in Rockford against the Ice Pigs. We are 0-2 for the weekend in the @RWtHLive First Goal Contest. We need a winner, folks! I'm going with Chris Butler today.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
How you define good? Mikkola hasn't produce points.

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
So far when I have watched he seems to always be in the right position. His poise with the puck and decision making are very good. I like his physicality a lot especially in front of the net. The only time I notice him in the offensive zone is when he is joining the rush, otherwise not much else offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad