All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Man, this must be a hell of an arena to watch NBA games in. It’s small, steep and intimate. No bad seats.
It is. Ironically enough I've been a life long Spurs fan (mom is from SA) so I've seen a few games down there. Was pretty wild when our AHL team ended up down there

converseman54

Apr 13, 2017
STL
Walman is such a bipolar player at this point. His highs are high and his lows are low. Unfortunately it seems like a lot more lows

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Slim Klim Shady

The goal is nice....but what in the actual f*** is the Dman doing there?! It's like a 1 on 2 and he just backs up into his goalie and lets Kostin right by. I don't even think he needed to make the move, the guy was just going to let him skate by. That was horrific, but I'm glad he finished the move one the goalie.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Husso is playing as well as Allen did, giving up goals on similar danger level shots. Maybe the Blues need to fix the team in front before we sweat who is in goal.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I really like Husso’s last sequence. He’s yelling out to the D where to go with the puck, then was sharp on 2 successive saves when they got pressured. Very engaged and good communication.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Husso is playing as well as Allen did, giving up goals on similar danger level shots. Maybe the Blues need to fix the team in front before we sweat who is in goal.
We shouldn't be dismissing that Allen is a problem just because there's another problem that needs addressing as well.

Last year the Blues defense gave up the third fewest number of shots in the league, and the third fewest high danger scoring chances overall (5th fewest at ES). That defense helped propel Hutton to by far the best year he's ever had...one of the very best in the league.

Allen? Allen was flat-out terrible. Unquestionably one of the worst starters in the league.

At this point, you can't effectively deflect concerns about Allen by tying his performance to that of the defense in front of him. We already have ample evidence that Allen's struggles are independent of that.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We shouldn't be dismissing that Allen is a problem just because there's another problem that needs addressing as well.

Last year the Blues defense gave up the third fewest number of shots in the league, and the third fewest high danger scoring chances overall (5th fewest at ES). That defense helped propel Hutton to by far the best year he's ever had...one of the very best in the league.

Allen? Allen was flat-out terrible. Unquestionably one of the worst starters in the league.

At this point, you can't effectively deflect concerns about Allen by tying his performance to that of the defense in front of him. We already have ample evidence that Allen's struggles are independent of that.
I would not be in favor of bringing Husso into a dysfunctional environment where he feels the pressure to be the difference. The team need to get their play sorted out better first. I’m not excusing Allen, just don’t think it makes sense to make a change if you’re just throwing your young future goalie to the wolves. This team is not playing like the team that had the 3rd fewest shots against yet.

I’ve never seen you this argumentative Easton.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

I am very curious why you are picking the Jake Allen hill to die on.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I would not be in favor of bringing Husso into a dysfunctional environment where he feels the pressure to be the difference. The team need to get their play sorted out better first. I’m not excusing Allen, just don’t think it makes sense to make a change if you’re just throwing your young future goalie to the wolves. This team is not playing like the team that had the 3rd fewest shots against yet.

I’ve never seen you this argumentative Easton.
I've just seen a lot of posts recently about not worrying about the goalies until the defense is better, or excusing the goalies outright because the defense has been bad, and I strongly disagree with that sentiment. Allen has really played well in spurts, but he's still exhibiting signs of flaws that have haunted him previously, and has made misplays that have factored heavily into some of the goals that the Blues have given up.

Anyway, yours read like another post along those lines, so I responded. It's not that I was picking on you, per se. I just know you're open-minded and actually interested in having a conversation.

It seems clear now from your follow-up that the main thrust of your post was really about the sentiment that Husso isn't the answer right now, something I actually agree with, with the implication about Allen being an afterthought, or not a thought at all. If I had read it that way originally, I probably would have picked a different place to reply.

Reactions: BlueDuck

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I am very curious why you are picking the Jake Allen hill to die on.
What are you reading into my comment? I literally said, “I’m not excusing Allen.” I just don’t see how Husso can fix what’s wrong with the team in front of him. I do see how he could have his confidence screwed with if he gets lit up by a disorganized defense. Hopefully it’s a matter of getting Edmundson back and getting a little more game speed familiarity fro the forwards. The amount of posts we’ve made over 2 games has to be a record. I’m not confident in any of the extrapolations I’ve been reading.

Husso showed tonight that he isn’t above getting exposed by the same defensive breakdowns as we’ve been seeing in St Louis. No goalie is. What’s wrong with playing Johnson a couple games, seeing how Allen looks with the top pairing in place before anointing Husso? I’m not really sure why you’re trying to twist that view into me being an Allen apologist.

I’ll be surprised if we don’t see Husso at some point this year. I hope he’s the starter for the next 8 years, but it’s foolish to run Allen out on a rail so immediately without even trying to get it right. That’s what the antagonistic fan behavior looks like, and it’s not really in the team’s long term or short term best interest.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Jimminy Christmas Jordan Nolan took 7 shots tonight lol. Walman and MacEachern with 4 shots apiece.

MacMac will be interesting to watch. He’s a “veteran prospect” that has probably gotten the worst of our AHL situation to start his pro career. But the beats seemed to admire his game during camp, and he’s been impactful in the early going this year so far under Bannister. I thought for sure that he would wind up in Tulsa, but he’s doing what he needs to do in the early fall at the very least.

A few stumbles for the Rampage tonight to be sure, but you can start to see what Bannister is wanting to do, which I think is exciting. Lots of neutral zone pressure, holding the lines (relatively) well. Those are things we need. Quick guys who get on top of the puck with good sticks and overwhelm their check. The only problem tonight was that the Admirals did that a lot better than we did.

Husso “fell down to earth” but I still liked his game. He’s a gamer, really seems to love to play and compete. Falling down into 2-goal deficits, he still stood tall and made some important saves. That’s what you want to see. Goals will happen. It’s how they respond, and he seems to be good at that so far. Let’s see him do it more, and against better competition.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

This.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Jimminy Christmas Jordan Nolan took 7 shots tonight lol. Walman and MacEachern with 4 shots apiece.

MacMac will be interesting to watch. He’s a “veteran prospect” that has probably gotten the worst of our AHL situation to start his pro career. But the beats seemed to admire his game during camp, and he’s been impactful in the early going this year so far under Bannister. I thought for sure that he would wind up in Tulsa, but he’s doing what he needs to do in the early fall at the very least.

A few stumbles for the Rampage tonight to be sure, but you can start to see what Bannister is wanting to do, which I think is exciting. Lots of neutral zone pressure, holding the lines (relatively) well. Those are things we need. Quick guys who get on top of the puck with good sticks and overwhelm their check. The only problem tonight was that the Admirals did that a lot better than we did.

Husso “fell down to earth” but I still liked his game. He’s a gamer, really seems to love to play and compete. Falling down into 2-goal deficits, he still stood tall and made some important saves. That’s what you want to see. Goals will happen. It’s how they respond, and he seems to be good at that so far. Let’s see him do it more, and against better competition.
I think MacEachern is hurt by the absence of a typical 4th line this year, so far. He could maybe be an option for a call-up on a different team.

Kostin has some great flashes, but every time I see him do something great (in my limited viewing) it’s a great individual effort. Can he be part of a great line? I’d love to see that part of his game grow this year. How much should I be blaming his linemates for this, and how much is Kostin?

They showed highlights of Butler’s goal on the Jumbotron. I wonder what was going through his head being sent down after scoring what could have been the game winner. He really did about all he could to show well for those 2 games. I didn’t think of him as an NHL player for the team before this, but maybe he is a legit depth guy. He had a good game again.

Mikkola had a good, but not perfect, game. He is going to benefit tremendously from being one of the main guys getting heavy minutes and heavy assignments. He looks like a future NHLer.

Walman looked like the best player on the ice again at times, with some flubs. I think he’s going to have a big year in the AHL this season.

The Admirals look so much better than Detroit’s AHL team did. A lot more team speed.

Reactions: Zamadoo

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think MacEachern is hurt by the absence of a typical 4th line this year, so far. He could maybe be an option for a call-up on a different team.

Kostin has some great flashes, but every time I see him do something great (in my limited viewing) it’s a great individual effort. Can he be part of a great line? I’d love to see that part of his game grow this year. How much should I be blaming his linemates for this, and how much is Kostin?

They showed highlights of Butler’s goal on the Jumbotron. I wonder what was going through his head being sent down after scoring what could have been the game winner. He really did about all he could to show well for those 2 games. I didn’t think of him as an NHL player for the team before this, but maybe he is a legit depth guy. He had a good game again.

Mikkola had a good, but not perfect, game. He is going to benefit tremendously from being one of the main guys getting heavy minutes and heavy assignments. He looks like a future NHLer.

Walman looked like the best player on the ice again at times, with some flubs. I think he’s going to have a big year in the AHL this season.

The Admirals look so much better than Detroit’s AHL team did. A lot more team speed.

There are a lot of times where I think “if Kostin was playing with somebody else, they would have buried that.” He gets pucks to the net quick, especially from down low, and I think it surprises some guys. They should have their sticks on the ice to push in some deflections, but also it’s evidence of some miscommunication, which is maybe not all that surprising for a guy that is still speaking through his dad (for all we know). He won’t speak to the media, which is also a little out of the ordinary but also his prerogative.

I think the Blues org in general struggles with making certain guys “the guy” and building the offense around them. Pairing guys is all well and good, but if you’ve got a player with a good skill set you should be doing what you can to work that. I think it will be up to Kostin to force that conversation this year.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Some thoughts.

Reinke, outside of a 40 second stretch on the PK in the second, was awful all night. He's slow and doesnt react quickly enough. He was directly responsible for 2 goals against.

Walman is high risk, high reward. When he's on, he's fantastic. When he screws up, though, it's probably going to be a goal more than not.

Kostin made a great move and got a bit of puck luck on his goal. He's certainly fun to watch, but his complete lack of effort to back check was a huge factor on the eventual game winner by Petterson. He also tries to do way too much hype himself for my liking.

MacEachern has been terrific in two games. Probably the best all around forward so far. Glad to see him rewarded with a goal.

The Rampage controlled that game from start to finish. The lack of any kind of power play and the complete breakdowns defensively were the difference. Not overly concerned as long as those mistakes get cleaned up. They will outwork most teams and they have just enough skill up front and plenty in goal to win a lot of games.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad