All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I know plus/minus isn't the most credible gauge for a player's performance but just looking at the list these jumped out at me:

Walmann -20 Mikkola +2
Has Mikkola really looked bad to some people?

Also Kostin with a team worst -22 ouch.
Probably the main reason he hasn't gotten a trial with The Blues.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So, his skating is good enough to defend in The NHL? I thought the book on him was weak skating, and not so mobile.
Last camp Blues board members give notes about Reinke and he had bad skating so your memory is sharp. That level he needs to work his skating a lot of success in NHL. I don't know has he taked big steps in this season from summer.

I'm not right guy to say about anything like this, 'cus I haven't seen him playing. Only read what I remember from Blues training camp notes about Reinke.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
He was also the worst defender in San Antonio to start the year. Now he’s not so something changed. I’m sure the local SA fans can chime in.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I do remember people saying Reinke's skating needed improvement from his cup of tea in the NHL last season. Unfortunately I missed the game he played.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
The difference in Reinke's game from October to today is night and day. He was struggling with the speed of the pro game and making terrible decisions on a nightly basis. Over the course of the season, he has adjusted to the game, simplified his defensive game, and made the necessary adjustments.

I'm not sure I've seen a 180 from an AHL player like this in 11 seasons following the Rampage.

I am admittedly not an expert on skating, but IMO his mobility is very good while he doesn't really excel at anything. He's not fast or quick, but he does what he needs to do to be effective. He's obviously very coachable and he's a very smart player. I think he just tried to do way too much early on.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There are far worse skaters than Reinke in the NHL. If he doesn’t make it, it won’t be because of his skating.

Reactions: mk80

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
The difference in Reinke's game from October to today is night and day. He was struggling with the speed of the pro game and making terrible decisions on a nightly basis. Over the course of the season, he has adjusted to the game, simplified his defensive game, and made the necessary adjustments.

I'm not sure I've seen a 180 from an AHL player like this in 11 seasons following the Rampage.

I am admittedly not an expert on skating, but IMO his mobility is very good while he doesn't really excel at anything. He's not fast or quick, but he does what he needs to do to be effective. He's obviously very coachable and he's a very smart player. I think he just tried to do way too much early on.

To piggyback this, he was terrible in the game I went to in Bakersfield in November. Then again, Binnington was about the only bright spot in that game, besides LaLeggia.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Last camp Blues board members give notes about Reinke and he had bad skating so your memory is sharp. That level he needs to work his skating a lot of success in NHL. I don't know has he taked big steps in this season from summer.

I'm not right guy to say about anything like this, 'cus I haven't seen him playing. Only read what I remember from Blues training camp notes about Reinke.

I watched his skating during his one game with The Blues. His skating seemed passable, and not a out-of-place for The NHL. I was surprised, given the comments about him during Camp. Maybe he had a temporary physical problem at that time, as the official scouting reports on him didn't mention his skating as a weakness.

Reactions: Zamadoo and mk80

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I do remember people saying Reinke's skating needed improvement from his cup of tea in the NHL last season. Unfortunately I missed the game he played.
I watched him in that game, especially to watch his skating because of those fan reviews that mentioned poor skating and mobility. And, I thought his skating, although unremarkable in either direction, seemed adequate for playing defence on The NHL level. I hadn't heard that Keith Tkachuk had recommended him based on good skating and mobility. All this leads me to believe that he was recovering from some lower body injury during Camp.

Reactions: mk80

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

I'm very glad to hear that Reinke is a smart player with good hockey sense and is very coachable, with a good attitude and work ethic. That means that with his good skating and mobility, significantly more strength, and more experience, he has a decent chance of being at least a solid 3rd pairing NHL regukar, and perhaps a decent regular #4.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
From some college viewings, I’d say that he is probably very near average as far as speed at a professional level. He isn’t going to get beat clean often, but don’t see him chasing people down on breakaways regularly either. Combined with his size, could be an issue, but in isolation not an issue IMO. What I did notice from him, that can help to offset all that was an ability to be sudden in change of directions, beating forechecks with a combination of edgework, hockey sense, and puck moving ability.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
He's still a relatively young player, only two years of junior (USHL) and two years of college hockey at Michigan Tech. My comment wasn't meant to be taken as anything like he should be here tomorrow or next year, but if he keeps on this trend maybe he'll get a look or could be used as a trade chip.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I watched his skating during his one game with The Blues. His skating seemed passable, and not a out-of-place for The NHL. I was surprised, given the comments about him during Camp. Maybe he had a temporary physical problem at that time, as the official scouting reports on him didn't mention his skating as a weakness.

Robb_K I was wrong.

I looked Back Traverse Cityn tournament thread. Looks Like I've remember wrong. Reinke was mobile dmen. I guess it was Tucker to whom I mixed up. Sorru guys.:help:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Nice game from San Antonio on Tuesday, Kyrou got the goal, Reinke assisted, which puts Kyrou at a point per game again and Reinke at 38 points in 59 games. Kyrou IS legit and just needs a little bit of time, and what's great is he's scoring goals with that "bad" shot of his. 16 on the year so far, so that's pretty impressive. Reinke, by all accounts, is the biggest surprise for me in terms of production. I knew he was touted as being an offensive d-man with just good everything, but he really is showing us why he is as touted offensively as the scouts (namely Tkachuk) said he was. There are a lot of good things happening in the A right now for San Antonio prospect wise, but the team is not playing to their potential. A lot of things have to go right for them right now, meaning a few teams in their division winning a few games and SA winning the next 2. If they can do that, they are right back in a playoff spot, but would need to play an amazing 17 games to actually make it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm only getting the Twitter alerts, so I dont have any context but it looks like Husso is struggling big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad