All Things AHL 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Reinke just keeps scoring. Anyone who watches the Rampage is his defense good enough to play in the NHL next year? Also, has he played on his off-side at all?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Reinke just keeps scoring. Anyone who watches the Rampage is his defense good enough to play in the NHL next year? Also, has he played on his off-side at all?

Yes he’s good enough, no you don’t want to try to break a rookie into the NHL on his offside. He’s a rover, and does plenty of work off the blocker side, but trying to shut down Crosby with one hand tied behind your back is no way to find success in the big league.

If he makes it out of camp, it will be as #7 to rotate in with Bortz. Schmaltz couldn’t hack it in that role, and it’s pretty clear that that type of play is what we’re looking for in that spot. Reinke isn’t that. Reinke plays like Dunn. Reinke is already better than Bortz in many ways, but the physicality, length and reliability in limited minutes, the presence in the locker room, those are things that will keep Reinke out of the lineup, not which hand he puts at the top of the stick. Unless the Blues get rid of Bortz this offseason, he’s got another year on his contrac (IIRC), and I would imagine that Reinke will be in San Antonio during that time.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yes he’s good enough, no you don’t want to try to break a rookie into the NHL on his offside. He’s a rover, and does plenty of work off the blocker side, but trying to shut down Crosby with one hand tied behind your back is no way to find success in the big league.

If he makes it out of camp, it will be as #7 to rotate in with Bortz. Schmaltz couldn’t hack it in that role, and it’s pretty clear that that type of play is what we’re looking for in that spot. Reinke isn’t that. Reinke plays like Dunn. Reinke is already better than Bortz in many ways, but the physicality, length and reliability in limited minutes, the presence in the locker room, those are things that will keep Reinke out of the lineup, not which hand he puts at the top of the stick. Unless the Blues get rid of Bortz this offseason, he’s got another year on his contrac (IIRC), and I would imagine that Reinke will be in San Antonio during that time.
Even if we did get rid of Bortuzzo, (bad idea, IMO), Reinke still has to play behind Pietrangelo and Parayko. Reinke is a PMD and needs ice time to develop those skills. Are we going to take away minutes from the big two to accommodate Reinke? Reinke will be facing the same uphill battle that Schmaltz was facing, regardless of whether Bortuzzo is there or not. The narrative that Bortuzzo is "blocking" Reinke is incorrect, just like the narrative that suggested Bortuzzo was blocking Schmaltz. Bortuzzo excels in his 3rd pairing role because he is solid and dependable in his own end and plays better with limited ice time. Parayko and Pietrangelo currently provide what Reinke promises. If Reinke can improve on what Alex and Colton do, then he should be replacing one of them, not Bortuzzo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScratchCatFever

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Bortz just signed a three year extension a couple of months ago. I don’t think he’s going anywhere. There are always injuries(Bortz himself has suffered quite a few throughout his career and with the way he plays the game that’s probably always going to be the case) so if Reinke makes the team as the 7th D there will be plenty of opportunities for him to play most likely. My guess would be that we sign a veteran(maybe MDZ) to be the seventh and let Reinke play in San Antonio until someone suffers a longer term injury or he proves that he’s more than ready for the NHL.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Even if we did get rid of Bortuzzo, (bad idea, IMO), Reinke still has to play behind Pietrangelo and Parayko. Reinke is a PMD and needs ice time to develop those skills. Are we going to take away minutes from the big two to accommodate Reinke? Reinke will be facing the same uphill battle that Schmaltz was facing, regardless of whether Bortuzzo is there or not. The narrative that Bortuzzo is "blocking" Reinke is incorrect, just like the narrative that suggested Bortuzzo was blocking Schmaltz. Bortuzzo excels in his 3rd pairing role because he is solid and dependable in his own end and plays better with limited ice time. Parayko and Pietrangelo currently provide what Reinke promises. If Reinke can improve on what Alex and Colton do, then he should be replacing one of them, not Bortuzzo.
Not sure how to say this without sounding like a jerk, so I apologize in advance, but this post is basically 100% wrong.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Rampage collapse continues, lose 2-6 to Wolves Saturday, but Mikkola emerges with a plus 2. That's pretty amazing

Reactions: Ranksu

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

This is basically what I was thinking. Dunn moves up to play with Parayko, and maybe Reinke could come in and replace Dunn on the bottom pairing. He would definitely need to be super comfortable on his off-side for that to work though. I'm a fan of Bortz so if he can't do that I think it would probably be best for him to spend another year in SA unless he is just too good to keep down there.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is basically what I was thinking. Dunn moves up to play with Parayko, and maybe Reinke could come in and replace Dunn on the bottom pairing. He would definitely need to be super comfortable on his off-side for that to work though. I'm a fan of Bortz so if he can't do that I think it would probably be best for him to spend another year in SA unless he is just too good to keep down there.
Bortz has played a good bit on his off side in previous years. No reason to make rookie play off when Bortz could slide over.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Bortz has played a good bit on his off side in previous years. No reason to make rookie play off when Bortz could slide over.
Yeah whatever works. I was just thinking Reinke because he is a better puck-handler, but honestly I really don't know what makes you better on the off-side.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yeah whatever works. I was just thinking Reinke because he is a better puck-handler, but honestly I really don't know what makes you better on the off-side.
Rule of thumb seems to be keep better puckhandler on strong side and move other guy to weak side.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Reinke is a real "find" for the organization.

He's still unproven in the NHL, and I wouldn't want Bortuzzo traded away for such a player.

Bortuzzo is injured a lot. The best case scenario for the Blues is that Bortuzzo is injured, Reinke fills in, and plays so well that the Blues have to find a place for Reinke in the lineup on a regular basis.

Reactions: mk80

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Well, this has been one ugly season with a winning stretch at home for a little while.

Some sobering stats - Kostin (minus 27), Walman -23, Schmaltz -15, Bleackley - 13,

Kyrou (45 games, 16-27-43 plus 3) and Reinke (65 games, 11-30-41 minus 4)

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well, this has been one ugly season with a winning stretch at home for a little while.

Some sobering stats - Kostin (minus 27), Walman -23, Schmaltz -15, Bleackley - 13,

Kyrou (45 games, 16-27-43 plus 3) and Reinke (65 games, 11-30-41 minus 4)
Who is positive on +/- stats on Rampage?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
What kind of injury did it look like?

It happened really fast, and we only got a single replay so it was hard to tell if it was a LBI that caused him to go down, or if he hurt his shoulder when he hit the ice. Either way, he was in a ton of pain and it didnt look good at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->