All purpose trade/roster building thread the 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Probably a bit more than he's proven to be worth, but not incredibly likely to be an awful deal. Could be very nice. Unlikely to be difficult to move if needed.

In a flat cap environment, a chance or two may need to be taken for longer term savings. I like Fleury's upside as a player and in the context of the roster. There's an assumption about Skjei with Pesce, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was Fleury with Pesce on a more defensively oriented middle pairing. Edmundson got a long run with Pesce, even though Gardiner was ostensibly brought in for that role. Before the injuries hit, the team was in the market for a defensive LHD. A shutdown pairing that can take pressure off of Slavin and Hamilton might be equilibrium for this coaching staff.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
In a flat cap environment, a chance or two may need to be taken for longer term savings. I like Fleury's upside as a player and in the context of the roster. There's an assumption about Skjei with Pesce, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was Fleury with Pesce on a more defensively oriented middle pairing. Edmundson got a long run with Pesce, even though Gardiner was ostensibly brought in for that role. Before the injuries hit, the team was in the market for a defensive LHD. A shutdown pairing that can take pressure off of Slavin and Hamilton might be equilibrium for this coaching staff.
Yeah, I was agreeing with that comment. It's unlikely to be bad, could end up pretty good. I was more impressed than I've ever been by him in the playoffs, but he still needs to find a bit more consistency. If he gets it, that would be a good deal. If not, it'd be okay and not a killer.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Go after Markstrom or Demko. Something has to give there.

Kuemper should also be a target. AZ is in shambles as an org and needs cheap young players. Reimer would be of interest to them based on his ability as a platoon goalie and his low actual salary after the bonus is paid. Maybe something around Reimer + Bean as an offer.

Other than that I’m not interested in any other goalie mentioned except maybe Crawford on a cheap 2 year deal.

No to MAF, Murray, Holtby, Andersen, etc

Especially the MAF talk. Why the hell are we discussing him so much? He’s old, not good and expensive. What am I missing here. Would way rather roll with MReimer.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So we don’t like Murray but we do like Fleury?

Well, I can't speak to we, but for me yes. First, I think Fleury has played better the last couple of years. Second, I think the cost of acquisition is very different. In Murray's case, JR thinks he's worth a 1st. In Vegas's case, they are likely to be willing to take a bad contract back. No guarantee there, but certainly not a club that will be looking for a 1st round picks worth of value. Plus, Fleury is two years and then done. Murray likely means a longer term contract investment which scares me even more with him.

Go after Markstrom or Demko. Something has to give there.

Kuemper should also be a target. AZ is in shambles as an org and needs cheap young players. Reimer would be of interest to them based on his ability as a platoon goalie and his low actual salary after the bonus is paid. Maybe something around Reimer + Bean as an offer.

Other than that I’m not interested in any other goalie mentioned except maybe Crawford on a cheap 2 year deal.

No to MAF, Murray, Holtby, Andersen, etc

Especially the MAF talk. Why the hell are we discussing him so much? He’s old, not good and expensive. What am I missing here. Would way rather roll with MReimer.

I'd be very happy with Kuemper. Even Raanta would be good from the Coyotes. However, I suspect they are looking for a nice package of futures for Kuemper, including a 1st. I wouldn't go there.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
If we move a d man picking up mark borowiecki to be a 6/7 rotation guy could help with our physicality that seems to be lacking from this lineup. Probably can be had on a short low cost deal.
I've always liked him as an effective physical lower pairing guy. Plus, confirmed to be a good guy and and effective crime fighter. And he was one of Clarkson's stars when I was there, so I've always been biased in his favor.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Per Civ’s latest on the Edmundson trade sounds like the braintrust may try to keep Vatanen, if it’s feasible:

It was always likely the Canes would let at least two of the three pending UFA defensemen – Edmundson, Trevor van Riemsdyk and Sami Vatanen – walk. Squeezing a draft pick out of that situation is a no-brainer.

The brass and head coach Rod Brind’Amour were particularly impressed with Vatanen, by the way. I would err on the side of caution and assume they let van Riemsdyk and Vatanen walk or finesse another trade, but there’s a chance they at least attempt to see Vatanen back

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Makes sense if they can move Gardiner and he takes a similar deal or if they want Hamilton insurance. Other than that, yeah, no room at the inn.
Seeing how tight the cap space is around, I don’t see a move that could be done to dump contracts and add Vatanen. I believe we’re stuck with everyone. Might find a move or two for the 1 year FAs to be.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Except Ottawa won’t likely take any bad contracts that have a lot of real money involved. Detroit may not want to either given the revenue uncertainty.

Oh yeah, definitely. Cap space is a big commodity but so is actual cash. Would be interesting to look at which albatross contracts have that balance of high cap hit but low actual dollars.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Reimer owed 850k in actual money....that could free up some cap space if needed.
Yeah, but that may be a nice asset for us as well.

I get that everyone wants to shed salary, but there simply isn't enough room around the league to handle all that everyone wants to cut. Honestly, I don't think that many teams will be able to do much to cut their payrolls- but then again, I don't think they really have to. That's why the CBA has a defined split. Payrolls will go down with revenue regardless of what happens. Getting to a lower payroll number won't make that huge a difference.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It didn't really play out against Boston but I think having a 1 2 punch of hamilton and vatanen power play units could be huge for this team. When hamilton got healthy and shuffled the personnel that had been effective against NY the power play lost a lot of bite; if vatanen stays and they get time for units to gel they could have something cooking. But then i don't think its super likely vatanen stays

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
But that’s the catch with Murray on 2 levels. Not only do you need to trade for him, you have to sign him.

At the moment I’m thinking:
Markstrom/Demko-----> Yes, preferably the Markstrom. Demko looks solid but makes me nervous due to lack of experience (Darling #2?)
Crawford-----> Umm, I'd stick with Mrazek.
Keumper/Raanta-----> Yes, preferably Keumper. Or Raanta in a 1A/1B
MAF ----->Just too much $$, no thanks.
Holtby-----> No thanks. Will be too expensive.
Murray-----> I am not against this one if we strike out on others, but only for the right price.

I could flip 2 and 3 but I feel like Crawford could be the same bridge to the next generation as MAF without costing assets like Keumper or Raanta will.
I don't know if CBJ would trade in division, but Merzlikins would be a good target. FLA has Bobrovsky, Dreidger, Montembeault, and Knight. Driedger looked good this year and could be a solid 1B.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I concur on the recent sentiments about Vatanan. If we can keep him, we should. Keep in mind, he only played something like 6 games for us, but you could see how he would help us down the line. Having 2 legit PP QBs on the roster would seriously help us out in the future.

I am curious on what we do defensively. Skjei is still a curious addition to me, but if he can consistently turn into the player he was for us in the NYR series, then it could be great. I can't imagine we even consider bringing TVR back, and it seems like we like Vatanan more than Gardiner, but are kind of stuck with Gards. Of course, all of this gets blown to hell if we make one of those rumored Pesce+ for Laine kind of deals, but outside of that, we really did not do ourselves any favors at the deadline by creating the logjam we now have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad