All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - start of 2021 season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I have a feeling we may be getting an Eric Staal reunion tour for this Playoff run. Excited to be back in the arena in person for the stretch.
I don’t the the team as it is will be a cup winner. We’re not getting past both Boston and TBL in the playoffs without some changes (not being pessimistic as I think we are on track). So being him on over.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I have a feeling we may be getting an Eric Staal reunion tour for this Playoff run. Excited to be back in the arena in person for the stretch.

I've thought about that possibility as he has no reason to block (at least ask) a move out of Buffalo like he did from the Wild the few last years. That said, why do we need a center? We'd be better off looking for a different guy.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'd only be cautious on how our PP would look sans Hamilton. Even strength I don't think we miss him all that much tbh.

Hamilton seems to be forcing the shot anytime he has an opportunity this year. You can tell he’s pressing for goals. It seems like to me that the PP2 unit with Gardiner or Bean as the QB had been much more successful lately as well.

If Hamilton moves on, I’m not that worried about the PP, I’m more so concerned with who they’d a lot next to Slavin at 5-5 and on the PK.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'd shoot for better than Vatanen, but that was my point. It'd be pretty good still, especially if there were other moves made with the savings.

I'd shoot for WAAAY better than Vatanen. I think that is an enormous downgrade. I dont want to pay Dougie 8 mil for 8 years either, but I'd be looking for something in between those two

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'd shoot for WAAAY better than Vatanen. I think that is an enormous downgrade. I dont want to pay Dougie 8 mil for 8 years either, but I'd be looking for something in between those two
I think it depends on what Vatanen would sign for and what our goalie tandem looks like next season.
A Slavin, Pesce, Skjei/Gardiner/Fleury (Seattle will take one), Vatanen, and Bean defense in the new NHL is still pretty good and would still be tops if we targeted a starting goalie in the off-season. And by new NHL, I mean defense contributing to as much offense as defense.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've been waiting for someone to bring up Eric. I'd happily have him back for another run. No expansion draft considerations on that front and probably not super crazy expensive (if it was, I'd pass). But I'd want another move on top of that probably as I question the impact he can have now even if he'd be great depth.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
Regarding Hamilton:
It also depends on who gets picked in the expansion draft and what they do with goaltending.

Currently, we have 28m in cap for next year with 8F/5D/0G :

I'd be happy if Svech takes a similar contract to Aho - 8.5m (9th forward)
Foegele & McGinn (or any other similar UFA signing) - 4.5m total (forwards 10 & 11)
Bean - 1m (6th D)
12th forward - 1m
Healthy scratch(es) +wiggle room - 1.5m

Now if they pick Bean or Fleury, that really only increases our cap by about 1m.

This leaves around 12.5m for 2 goalies plus Hamilton, which if they go for Kuemper + Ned (for example), only leaves around 8m for a Hamilton extension, which I know is probably enough, but basically you would be right against the cap with UFA Nino, Tro and Kuemper the next year as well as RFA Necas. I know that it would work: You could trade Nino, Skjei, Gardiner, etc., but then it's really a high price to pay (in addition to money) to keep Hamilton.

Also let me know if I am missing something here.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
E Staal was playing wing pretty regularly near the end of his tenure here, but I don't know if I'd be interested in bringing him back. Would depend on what it would cost to get him I guess

Eric played some wing with Jordan, but trying to play wing was one of the issues in his failed experiment in New York. When he went to Minnesota as a full-time center he start to play well again.

I wonder about bringing in Staal as a W. I'd probably only look at him if there's an injury need at C. If there's a need for a wing, bring in a rental wing. They will probably be cheaper and more likely to fit for the playoff run.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Regarding Hamilton:
It also depends on who gets picked in the expansion draft and what they do with goaltending.

Currently, we have 28m in cap for next year with 8F/5D/0G :

I'd be happy if Svech takes a similar contract to Aho - 8.5m (9th forward)
Foegele & McGinn (or any other similar UFA signing) - 4.5m total (forwards 10 & 11)
Bean - 1m (6th D)
12th forward - 1m
Healthy scratch(es) +wiggle room - 1.5m

Now if they pick Bean or Fleury, that really only increases our cap by about 1m.

This leaves around 12.5m for 2 goalies plus Hamilton, which if they go for Kuemper + Ned (for example), only leaves around 8m for a Hamilton extension, which I know is probably enough, but basically you would be right against the cap with UFA Nino, Tro and Kuemper the next year as well as RFA Necas. I know that it would work: You could trade Nino, Skjei, Gardiner, etc., but then it's really a high price to pay (in addition to money) to keep Hamilton.

Also let me know if I am missing something here.

Next year:

Pencil in Lorentz at the league minimum as the 12th highest paid F (250k savings).

EDIT: Forgot that he was already re-signed for next season.

I don't mean to keep harping on this, but Gardiner is very expendable. Ideally, they find a taker for a de Haan-esque giveaway. A hockey trade for a F to replace a departing McGinn is more likely in this environment. That $4.05 mil needs to be reallocated from the 3rd pairing to elsewhere in the lineup.

Longer-term:

Niederreiter and Trocheck are hopefully transitional pieces. Necas will be entering his 4th NHL season: it should be his time to make the transition to center. Likewise, another ~1.75 years of development for the pool hopefully bears fruit. Jarvis on his ELC is the most likely candidate.

Yes, that's expecting a lot from internal development. At least the pieces are there for that to realistically happen. In comparison, there's not much depth in the organization on the right side. A LHD playing there long-term is not ideal. This exact scenario is probably why they targeted Fox in the trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
Next year:

Pencil in Lorentz at the league minimum as the 12th highest paid F (250k savings).

I don't mean to keep harping on this, but Gardiner is very expendable. Ideally, they find a taker for a de Haan-esque giveaway. A hockey trade for a F to replace a departing McGinn is more likely in this environment. That $4.05 mil needs to be reallocated from the 3rd pairing to elsewhere in the lineup.

Longer-term:

Niederreiter and Trocheck are hopefully transitional pieces. Necas will be entering his 4th NHL season: it should be his time to make the transition to center. Likewise, another ~1.75 years of development for the pool hopefully bears fruit. Jarvis on his ELC is the most likely candidate.

Yes, that's expecting a lot from internal development. At least the pieces are there for that to realistically happen. In comparison, there's not much depth in the organization on the right side. A LHD playing there long-term is not ideal. This exact scenario is probably why they targeted Fox in the trade.

Completely agree. And just to be clear, I wasn't saying that Hamilton at 8m would give them no future, but it definitely limits the options for acquiring veterans and puts more pressure on the prospects (at least as long as the cap stays the same). So it really depends on how confident they are in our prospects.

Also, if they pick Skjei or Gardiner in the expansion draft, I'd have no concerns whatsoever about Dougie at 8m.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018

Thinking about next year makes me think of a near-perfect scenario. I have always liked Martinook and McGinn has proven to have some offense this season. But if the organization would put trust in Geekie and Lorentz that would allow them to let Martinook, McGinn, and Paquette walk clearing $5.75M of cap hit. Then they would have some extra space to go after Blake Coleman—something like 4yr/3.75 AAV.
Coleman would be even better in a pinch to play with Aho/TT; he would give Trocheck/Necas both scoring and defense; or he, Staal, and any responsible winger would be a terrifying 3rd line.

I like to picture:

Svech/Aho/TT

then either
Coleman/Trocheck/Necas
Foegele/Staal/Nino
Lorentz/Geekie/Fast

or
Nino/Trocheck/Necas
Coleman/Staal/Fast
Lorentz/Geekie/Foegele

Coleman brings extra physical play and strong penalty killing. Admittedly some dreaming about next season on a rainy Saturday.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Next year:

Longer-term:

I think Trocheck could be a longer term piece depending on price. He turns 29 in the offseason he becomes UFA so a 4 year deal or so isn’t too ridiculous. But that depends on whether they still see Necas as a C or a RW.

Re: Gardiner, I think any deal waits on the expansion draft. If they can’t sign Hamilton and lose a D to Seattle, they need Gardiner and he may be in the top 4.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Thinking about next year makes me think of a near-perfect scenario. I have always liked Martinook and McGinn has proven to have some offense this season. But if the organization would put trust in Geekie and Lorentz that would allow them to let Martinook, McGinn, and Paquette walk clearing $5.75M of cap hit. Then they would have some extra space to go after Blake Coleman—something like 4yr/3.75 AAV.
Coleman would be even better in a pinch to play with Aho/TT; he would give Trocheck/Necas both scoring and defense; or he, Staal, and any responsible winger would be a terrifying 3rd line.

I like to picture:

Svech/Aho/TT

then either
Coleman/Trocheck/Necas
Foegele/Staal/Nino
Lorentz/Geekie/Fast

or
Nino/Trocheck/Necas
Coleman/Staal/Fast
Lorentz/Geekie/Foegele

Coleman brings extra physical play and strong penalty killing. Admittedly some dreaming about next season on a rainy Saturday.

Not enough Jarvis or Rees. :)

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Not enough Jarvis or Rees. :)
RBA has a pretty distinct pattern (so does Waddell for that matter) of limiting rookie opportunities. If, a big if, the Canes pencil in Geekie and Lorentz, I don't suspect much ice time will be available for 19/20-year-olds. Though with Nino and Trocheck being UFAs in '22, it would make sense to give all of Jarvis, Rees, and Suzuki some games.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
RBA has a pretty distinct pattern (so does Waddell for that matter) of limiting rookie opportunities. If, a big if, the Canes pencil in Geekie and Lorentz, I don't suspect much ice time will be available for 19/20-year-olds. Though with Nino and Trocheck being UFAs in '22, it would make sense to give all of Jarvis, Rees, and Suzuki some games.
Bingo. As much as I'd like to see Jarvis or one of the others on the roster (but especially Jarvis given his play in the A) the only way it happens is if they outright force the issue in training camp. Even Necas was slow-rolled in to the lineup, and that was coming off a season where he was arguably the most dominant U-20 player in Europe. Someone would have to come in to camp in a position to completely force the issue the way Aho did. That said the season that Jarvis is having so far makes me think he might be of the caliber to do just that.

Part of it also has to deal with the next contract as well. A guy playing his first year or two in the A is going to be a lot more affordable on his next contract if he only has 1 big year to bank on than a guy that started off early in the NHL and steadily improved into that big year, just the way that stuff tends to play out. Look at Tampa as an example of how that can play out to help keep a team cap compliant when they should by all logic have no business being cap compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad