All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - start of 2021 season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't expect Gardiner to be moved, but clearing waivers would help his trade value if a team like Boston or New York wanted to get a LD they could taxi squad while he's recovering.

Sucks to see Trocheck will apparently be out long-term...Hall/Staal package time?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't expect Gardiner to be moved, but clearing waivers would help his trade value if a team like Boston or New York wanted to get a LD they could taxi squad while he's recovering.

Sucks to see Trocheck will apparently be out long-term...Hall/Staal package time?

That's only a benefit if he wouldn't clear waivers at some point later in the season. I don't see it. The undesirable term left on his contract isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Anton Babchuk

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Does it fall under the “bank space every day” by shuffling guys like Bean back and forth?
I’ll admit I don’t have a good handle on all that.
Yes. Cap space in the NHL is accounted for daily instead of annually. Every non game day that Bean and any other player that they aren’t on the roster, that cap space is saved. Bean’s daily hit is 9600 bucks.

sending Bean, Geekie, and Ned down one day means we can afford a Mrazek level contract for one day.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
What about giving Necas a bit of an early look at C while Tro is out? I think he could handle it and we can get an idea of how far off he may be from being our long term #2C which is the goal...
Is it?

Weve got Vinnie for another year, Necas isn’t going to take his job any time soon. We’d also be nuts to let Vinnie go if he’s going to play this well. We may not be able to afford him but Necas will also cost a lot by then too.

Necas at center has been questionable since Vellucci moved him to wing due to him not being able to handle the job in the minors. He hasn’t played there since. I’m not convinced it’s the teams goal to move him to the middle. I really don’t think his coach wants him in the middle. Rod didn’t want Aho there, and Necas isn’t remotely as complete a player as Aho is.

I’d think he’d get a chance at some point but I generally don’t hold my breath on that one.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
That's only a benefit if he wouldn't clear waivers at some point later in the season. I don't see it. The undesirable term left on his contract isn't going anywhere.

Like I said, I don't expect it to happen. While it's only a marginal benefit, even if you're 90%+ sure he'd still clear in the future, having him clear now lets a team 100% know what they're getting.

As nice as it would be to clear his salary, I would prefer that we keep him until the offseason. Even if he needs a few weeks to get healthy, that defensive depth could prove to be very valuable down the stretch.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
I would love in Big Eric came back.

We never really surrounded him with any type of offensive talent after the Cup boys like Whitney and Stillman started leaving.

I remember the 2008-2009 Cup Run and the pounding he took from Chara and the Bruins in that series. He took it like a champ and never backed down.

He was a true warrior.

Much repsect

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Also, I would not be shocked if the FO goes distressed asset-hunting mode once again, just like they did with Nino/Trocheck/Skjei. My ideal but unlikely target in that realm would be Mantha. A more realistic target would be a guy like Mittelstadt (who's actually shown some nice flashes this year in limited minutes) or, as some people have pointed out, Max Domi. Even Vancouver has some guys that intrigue me as guys that could fit well with Brindy, such as Adam Gaudette.

I am also a Gaudette fan and I believe with the right linemates he's got a chance to revisit his scoring capability from his college days.

Also, just say no to Max Domi....he's a xenophobic prick.

Everything they’ve done in the last couple of years suggests they believe they are in their cup window right now.

I think they believe their in "a" cup window, but they are looking at building long term post-season consistency. That smells like tweaking at deadline time, more than splashy moves....or it smells like moves for guys with term. Well, at least in my uninformed opinion.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I am also a Gaudette fan and I believe with the right linemates he's got a chance to revisit his scoring capability from his college days.

Also, just say no to Max Domi....he's a xenophobic prick.

Being pro-stricter immigration is not xenophobic. Come on...I'd trade for him, easy. He'd help our team get better, and he'll likely come reasonably inexpensive. Why not?

Reactions: Daeavorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad