All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - start of 2021 season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
What does anyone know about Evgeny Svechnikov? Former 1st round pick, has dealt with many injuries and never gotten much of a chance, obviously has a notable family member here. Waived by Detroit today. Not sure we have a spot but could he be worth a look?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
What does anyone know about Evgeny Svechnikov? Former 1st round pick, has dealt with many injuries and never gotten much of a chance, obviously has a notable family member here. Waived by Detroit today. Not sure we have a spot but could he be worth a look?
Seems to me that if you can’t make the worst team in the league...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

It depends on whether they think they can pass him through waivers again to the taxi squad. If they can, he's interesting, moreso looking ahead to 21-22. They'll need a cheap body or two after the surgery that will be done on the 4th line to make the cap work next season.

If not, it's probably a waste. The forward group runs 13 deep already. Nearly $875k for a scratch is not a great use of the limited cap space the team has. Save and grow it for the deadline.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wasn’t CAR rumored to be interested in Corey Perry? Could be an interesting player, but really room for him.

I could potentially see them putting in a claim on a D that they feel could pass through waivers again to replace what they lost in Forsling and what they may now lose in Ryan.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wasn’t CAR rumored to be interested in Corey Perry? Could be an interesting player, but really room for him.

I could potentially see them putting in a claim on a D that they feel could pass through waivers again to replace what they lost in Forsling and what they may now lose in Ryan.

That's possible. They'd need to find a defenseman that the team that originally that waived him doesn't really want. Otherwise, if the Canes waive him, and that team claims him (and nobody else does), that team won't need to waive him again to send him down. No idea which d-men might fall into that category.

Maybe if Florida picks up another defenseman, it could be Forsling.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

That's possible. They'd need to find a defenseman that the team that originally that waived him doesn't really want. Otherwise, if the Canes waive him, and that team claims him (and nobody else does), that team won't need to waive him again to send him down. No idea which d-men might fall into that category.

Maybe if Florida picks up another defenseman, it could be Forsling.

If Florida waives him because he was beat out by the other guy they just claimed, then this makes the most sense.

Reactions: Lempo and DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
NO CHANGE YET IN SVECHNIKOV, HURRICANES CONTRACT TALKS

There has been no further progress in contract negotiations between the Carolina Hurricanes and star winger Andrei Svechnikov, a source close to the organization told TFP this weekend.
Svechnikov, 20, is in the final year of his three-year, entry-level contract and is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this July.
While there may be nothing new to report on discussions between the two sides, neither party appears to be concerned and negotiations are expected to carry out throughout the season, even if sporadic.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Why would Svechnikov sign before next offseason? Like every other high-profile RFA, he’s betting on himself. To a lesser and also somewhat scarier extent, why would Hamilton sign before then as well?

In Hamilton’s case, I’d say he’s signed by the deadline or shipped out of town. In Svechnikov’s case, I’ll just hope they learned from whole Aho l’offre hostile ordeal and they aren’t as hardassed as they were then in negotiations.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Why would Svechnikov sign before next offseason? Like every other high-profile RFA, he’s betting on himself. To a lesser and also somewhat scarier extent, why would Hamilton sign before then as well?

In Hamilton’s case, I’d say he’s signed by the deadline or shipped out of town. In Svechnikov’s case, I’ll just hope they learned from whole Aho l’offre hostile ordeal and they aren’t as hardassed as they were then in negotiations.
Not only this but given the unknowns from COVID the hope would be the cap and financial landscape would improve...teams WANT to sign players but likely can't offer full value right now. Agreed on Doogie also

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The only thing that really concerns me about the borg is their ability to negotiate with high profile UFA/RFAs. Their first test with Aho ultimately worked out due to the incompetency of the Habs but it still doesn't inspire much confidence there.

My biggest fear is losing Hamilton for nothing. I don't find that to be likely considering how quickly the FO handled the Skinner, Faulk, Haula, and Eddy situations and received assets in return. Still, though, my fear is certainly there.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
My biggest fear is losing Hamilton for nothing. I don't find that to be likely considering how quickly the FO handled the Skinner, Faulk, Haula, and Eddy situations and received assets in return. Still, though, my fear is certainly there.
My biggest fear is them offering something Pejorative Slured like they did to Aho where it devolves into some moron GM like Bergevin gumming up the whole process. Aho's contract has always been seen as more than fair but it should be 2-3 years longer than it is, but we royally f***ed it up over I don't even know what.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
My biggest fear is them offering something Pejorative Slured like they did to Aho where it devolves into some moron GM like Bergevin gumming up the whole process. Aho's contract has always been seen as more than fair but it should be 2-3 years longer than it is, but we royally f***ed it up over I don't even know what.
Are we sure that Aho didn’t want 8 years? Maybe he, like Matthews, wanted a shot at the new tv money.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Are we sure that Aho didn’t want 8 years? Maybe he, like Matthews, wanted a shot at the new tv money.
Uh, it's obvious he didn't want much longer than 5 years especially at whatever we were offering him. But that doesn't really mean much, there were many scenarios in between what he ultimately signed for. But the fact we let it get to the point where he signed one of the weakest offer sheets of all time is what I'm talking about. Legitimately how bad were our offers to get him to sign this? We've already had this conversation before here ad nauseum.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Uh, it's obvious he didn't want much longer than 5 years especially at whatever we were offering him. But that doesn't really mean much, there were many scenarios in between what he ultimately signed for. But the fact we let it get to the point where he signed one of the weakest offer sheets of all time is what I'm talking about. Legitimately how bad were our offers to get him to sign this? We've already had this conversation before here ad nauseum.

At Day 1 of free agency, mind you. Most high-tension situations tend to drag on until the start of the season. This one didn't. It basically ended the same time as when it began because Bergevin was an idiot. People forget the pre-COVID situation, but there was a lot of optimism among players and agents at the time because of that new TV contract. Aho and Matthews weren't the only folks trying to get to UFA ASAP. Many of them, including Laine and Point, simply settled for bridges.

Last edited:

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Maybe this is just me not overthinking it, but unlike most of the RFA’s in his class, he didn’t want to spend his entire offseason in contract negotiations. To me it was a simple case of he wanted what he wanted, and he took the path of least resistance when a team offered him what he wanted. Ironic thing is most top RFA’s ended up doing bridge deals for much cheaper, which would’ve been more ideal for us. I just hated the narrative that offseason because other teams actually got to negotiate with their players, but when we do it we’re labeled as too cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad