All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I bet after Rask Fenton probably doesn’t want to deal with Waddell anymore haha

Or the rumor that they had talks about other players several weeks ago may be circling back around. I bet Coyle was one of those guys, considering he's a center. It wouldn't make sense to swap Rask for him then, but it makes a ton of sense to swap a 2nd and a prospect or two, now.

Reactions: zman77 and raynman

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It'll be interesting to see the return. He would have been an interesting fit here. Regardless, they may have liked the pieces Boston had more.

Reactions: zman77

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He’s a righty, but a rumored return is Donato and I don’t know if I would’ve spent that.

I was hoping for Donato from a Ferland trade.

Canes were scouting his AHL team. Bet the Canes were in on both Coyle and Donato. Just worked out better for MIN and BOS to make their own swap

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Boston fans were extremely high on Donato coming in to the year. Necas level hype. Sucks for them his value fell that much but it happens.

Edit: The trash preseason rankings from sporting news had Donato 2 spots ahead of Necas

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Didn't realize Donato was that highly thought of. Just going off stats and draft spot, plus 3 years older than Necas I figured the Canes could quite easily come up with a similar offer. Coyle has another really affordable year on his contract too. Oh well

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Donato seems decent, even if he hasn't had the year expected of him. I still would've thought Coyle had more value, even with his own subpar year. Guess we'll see how Donato develops. Still seems like another meh move for Fenton.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I know Poolparty has had some great chemistry with Aho in the past....

But

How much of that is actual skill by PP and how much of that is the impact of playing on Aho's line. As we see here, Aho makes everyone he plays with better. A lot better. Was that chemistry just a product of that?

I understand that worry very well. However, Puljujarvi was pretty incredible on the PP (and at everything else) at the WJC-18. Of course that is just the junior level, but it was amazing how he stood out even in the final against Sweden (a hat trick and a post away from the 4th one).

The strange thing is he was great at the beginning of his first season as the youngest player in the NHL (very unlucky with the posts/crossbar), but for some reason he never got another chance after that. I may be the only one remebering that, but it all is written here on the forum and I know what I'm talking about. At that time and last year the Oilers fans were really mad about that. Then there was one game (or period) in the preseason and the comments from fans were very positive (could prove myself by copy/pasting them). Then he got one chance just some games ago and he arranged a goal, but that's all he's really got.

He may need a bit of time to get back to the rhythm after all this time, but I still think he'll suprise lots of people once he finally gets the chance. I definitely don't mean to say he hasn't played a part himself, but the low minutes, everchanging and often bad linemates, tough lessons to concentrate on the defensive side of the game, lack of PP and OT usage and bad language skills during the first couple of years all play a part, too.

Now I won't write more about him here, so I wish you guys a great and a succesful spring season! I've never been in your state but would absolutely love to visit and of course also watch a game one day!

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If they are really selling go for Granlund. His contract expires at the end of next season so it'll cost us more than it would Eric. On the other hand, it solves the #2C issue for a little while at least.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Isn't Granlund one of those guys they tried to force at center for years without success and who only broke out when he was moved to wing?
That's what I was thinking. He's taken the 6th most faceoffs on the Wild this year as well. Not to say I wouldn't love him, but I'd imagine he'd be a winger.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I'm kind of to the place where I'll be upset if we trade Pesce. We need help down the center, we do have an abundance of D, hopefully Fox signs and is impactful, but I don't want to lose Pesce.

In fact, the only D I would want to see traded is Faulk. TVR is very under appreciated and lost amongst the core but has had a very quiet, solid season.

Note: I'm not wanting Faulk gone because I don't like him or fail to see the improvements in his game this season. Salary, term, side he plays - he's the one I'd like moved for a 2c.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I know it's my own fault for venturing again, but how many times can we tell Leafs fans Kappy ain't enough for Pesce, only to have the next fan suggest we must be targeting Kap for Pesce? I'm going to talk to a brick wall for a while, be more productive.

At this point unless we trade away Ferland and use assets to get a better winger or 2C, I'm kinda thinking we're gonna stand pat and make our moves (good bye extra RD) at draft or in offseasons. We're not good enough to be true buyers for a cup run, but making the playoffs is 100% the goal, so we can't really sell either unless we have a replacement incoming.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m curious if a deal with the Wild could look like this:

Canes: Walmark, 3rd
Wild: Staal

This gives us a very good Aho-Staal-Staal-McKegg down the middle. Staal could even possibly sign an extension for a couple of years like Willy to hold the spot until Necas is ready. The Wild would get a young center still under contract plus a decent pick as well for an expiring UFA contract.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Hurricanes Trade Deadline Rumors
Hurricanes GM Don Waddell already made one notable recent deal by shipping center Victor Rask to the Minnesota Wild for left wing Nino Niederreiter. The addition of Nieddereiter played a key role in the Canes improvement.
Speculation persists Waddell might still shop a right-shot blueliner like
Dougie Hamilton or Brett Pesce for a scorer but that talk has faded with the Hurricanes’ rise in the standings. There’s now talk they could retain Ferland as an “own rental” for the playoffs.
Waddell
told NHL.com’s Tom Gulitti he doesn’t want to part with draft picks or prospects for rental players, preferring instead to do a one-for-one swap for a player signed beyond this season.
Former NHL Sellers That Could Become Buyers - MyNHLTradeRumors.com

Reactions: SvechneJerk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad