All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is the same Adam Henrique that used to play for the Devils and always seemed to play well against us?

Has he really been that bad in Anaheim?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe Roy, but I'd be reluctant to bail on Gauthier just yet. Frankly, Gauthier is proving to be more of what we expected of him every day. He's a guy I'd hang on to so that we can see if his development continues.

I'd like to see it, but I don't.

Draft year: 41G in 54 games(Q)
Draft+1: 17G in 46 games (Q)
Draft+2: 16G /25P in 65 games (AHL)
Draft+3: 15G/26P in 55 games (AHL)
He's getting outscored by Poturalski, Saarela, Kuokkanen, Bean, Necas, Geekie, Roy.

I'm not saying he won't still be a viable NHLr as he has decent speed, has good size, is strong and has a good shot, but I'm curious which other top 6 power forwards have taken the same "historic" development path? I worry that he was a guy that was so dominant early on in Juniors because he was so much bigger and stronger than others at that age.

That said, I don't watch him much so I'm just using a simplistic stats based argument so I'd truly like your feedback as to how he's proving he's what we expected of him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This is the same Adam Henrique that used to play for the Devils and always seemed to play well against us?

Has he really been that bad in Anaheim?

This year, everyone has been bad in Anaheim and he's second on the team in scoring. Last year, he had 20G, 36P in 57 games for them (24G, 50P when you combine his NJ+ANA stats).

I just don't like his contract.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
This year, everyone has been bad in Anaheim and he's second on the team in scoring. Last year, he had 20G, 36P in 57 games for them (24G, 50P when you combine his NJ+ANA stats).

I just don't like his contract.

That contract could very well become ugly in one season. If we are willing to pay that contract for Henrique why not target Hayes?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
That contract could very well become ugly in one season. If we are willing to pay that contract for Henrique why not target Hayes?

Agreed. To take on Henrique I'd want $1.8 million retained. Adding Henrique for $4 million (age 30-35) is more palatable. If the Canes were paying $6 million for a 2C I'd sooner have a 27 year old Hayes.

Derick Brassard was similarly scoring at a 50 point pace last year. He'd likely cost less, the Canes could test-drive him into the Playoffs, and he'd probably sign a more favorable deal as a 30+ year old #2C.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I worry that he was a guy that was so dominant early on in Juniors because he was so much bigger and stronger than others at that age.

I believe that was the Canes' worry as well. My understanding was that after his draft year, the organization said the Gauthier had to work on two key things....his play away from the puck, and most importantly, learning how to use his teammates more effectively. I can't find the story now, but I seem to recall reading that was the reason for his decline in goal scoring and accompanying doubling of assists.

His 1st half season in Charlotte seemed to be a pretty steep learning curve, but he noticeably picked up his offense in the 2nd half. This season he's already exceeded his offensive production from last year. He's put up 8 goals and 12 points in his last 20 games. It just seems to me that this is a guy that's learning to use his tools better.

While I like Roy too, I'd be more inclined to move him over Goat.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I believe that was the Canes' worry as well. My understanding was that after his draft year, the organization said the Gauthier had to work on two key things....his play away from the puck, and most importantly, learning how to use his teammates more effectively. I can't find the story now, but I seem to recall reading that was the reason for his decline in goal scoring and accompanying doubling of assists.

His 1st half season in Charlotte seemed to be a pretty steep learning curve, but he noticeably picked up his offense in the 2nd half. This season he's already exceeded his offensive production from last year. He's put up 8 goals and 12 points in his last 20 games. It just seems to me that this is a guy that's learning to use his tools better.

While I like Roy too, I'd be more inclined to move him over Goat.

Seems like a lot of wishful thinking, but I hope you are right.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
31 Thoughts: Could a stealth suitor emerge for Matt Duchene? - Sportsnet.ca
20. Can Carolina, one point out of the playoffs and creating some excitement in the market, really trade Micheal Ferland? Eight points in his last eight games. The Hurricanes certainly can’t send him to Pittsburgh, which has been interested.

21. I’m not sure if Minnesota would be willing to trade with Carolina again, since initial returns on the Nino Niederreiter/Victor Rask swap aren’t favourable. But if Don Waddell really wanted to whip up a frenzy, taking a run at Eric Staal would do it.

22. Speaking of Staal…Sebastian Aho is on pace for 93 points. That would be the most in Whalers/Hurricanes history since Staal had 100 in the Stanley Cup season of 2005-06. Only three others have ever scored more than that in one year for this organization — Ron Francis (twice), Mike Rogers (twice) and Blaine Stoughton.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Duchene would be amazing but I'm not sure we can afford to outbid other team's in a trade and then in free agency.

I'd certainly take Staal back over some of the guys being mentioned in this thread like Henrique, Wennberg or Brassard. The only thing those guys have going for them is that they're not named Staal.

As for Ferland, I don't see how we can trade him now. We're right in the playoff hunt and it's going to be a buyers market this year. Is a 2nd round pick and a meh prospect worth potentially demoralizing the team and fanbase? Is even a late 1st worth it? I'm not so sure.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
LeBrun Notebook: Detailing Matt Duchene's options and the...

So now agent Pat Brisson is handling Duchene’s situation he will want to move heaven and earth to try to get him the maximum eight years. Which could come in three different ways:

LeBrun says Duchene's agent is possibly motivated to make a trade-and-sign happen to access that extra 8th contract year in the extension. If true it probably bumps the Canes interest up.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm sure Duchene is open to a trade and sign. The way I see it though, is that it's likely going to cost an insanely huge price though, or he'll just wait for UFA.
Can it happen though that the Free Agency becomes a game of musical chairs and some UFA will find himself out of a good enough team that can afford to pay the insanely huge salary he asks? It may not be a bad policy to lock yourself for a good enough 8 year contract in the spring to be on the safe side, and not find out on July 1st that the team you're close with won't agree to give you full NMC for the three final years and there's no telling to where you might be looted at that time.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

While Duchene is open to signing a new deal with whichever team he’s eventually traded to, there are no guarantees an extension gets ironed out before a trade is finalized – but it’s my understand he’s is open to multiple possibilities.
Acquiring Duchene and signing him to a long-term extension would certainly up his trade value, as I’m told teams like the New York Islanders, Nashville Predators, Columbus Blue Jackets and Montreal Canadiens have expressed interest in exactly that.
The Calgary Flames and Carolina Hurricanes are also believed to have interest in Duchene, who sits at No.2 on TFP’s Top 30 Trade Watch List.

also (likely related)

The Hurricanes are still trying to use one of Brett Pesce, Dougie Hamilton or Justin Faulk to land a top-six forward – winger or centre. I get the sense GM Don Waddell is doing what he can to make this happen by the deadline, but moving one of those blueliners for a top-six forward might not happen until the summer. Carolina isn’t really in the rental market, outside of possibly keeping Micheal Ferland, who truly hopes to stay in Raleigh, but if the prices drop I wonder if Waddell slides in.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If we can get Duchesne, go for it... The thought of having a Top 6 consist of Nino-Aho-who cares and Svech-Duchesne-who cares is something that could keep us in contention for a long time.

I don't like that we're talking about possibly moving Pesce for him. I really don't want to move him at all, and would be much more willing to do something like Faulk-Necas-1st for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If we can get Duchesne, go for it... The thought of having a Top 6 consist of Nino-Aho-who cares and Svech-Duchesne-who cares is something that could keep us in contention for a long time.

I don't like that we're talking about possibly moving Pesce for him. I really don't want to move him at all, and would be much more willing to do something like Faulk-Necas-1st for him.

That's not how I read it. I read it as the Canes have shown interest in Duchene (at rental prices).

Canes are still looking to move one of their RHD for help in the top 6, but it may not come until next season (ie..not a rental).

The Duchene part of the article on TFP was first. The Pesce/Faulk/Hamilton was later on in the article talking about the deadline in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad