All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Since the other one is going to get locked, will repost this here:

Actually, the taxes in N.C. kinda suck for athletes. We're in the bottom third of the league when it comes to taxes, only slightly better than the Canadian teams.

While I'm not doubting your statement, I'm surprised by it. I'd be curious to see the data source.

Texas, TN, and Florida are likely among the best for taxes and I suspect places like Co, NV, MO(?) AZ.....but places like NY, California, Minnesota, NJ, MI, PA, IL, MA, OH, Maryland/DC all have to be worse, no? Particularly when you look at total tax burden. Given that there are 14 teams in those higher tax locations above and another 6 Canadian teams, I'm surprised NC is in the bottom 1/3rd.

I do get that we are only talking about state taxes, local taxes, sales taxes, property taxes here (not federal) and only for the games played here.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

While I'm not doubting your statement, I'm surprised by it. I'd be curious to see the data source.

Texas, TN, and Florida are likely among the best for taxes and I suspect places like Co, NV, MO(?) AZ.....but places like NY, California, Minnesota, NJ, MI, PA, IL, MA, OH, Maryland/DC all have to be worse, no? Particularly when you look at total tax burden. Given that there are 14 teams in those higher tax locations above and another 6 Canadian teams, I'm surprised NC is in the bottom 1/3rd.

I do get that we are only talking about state taxes, local taxes, sales taxes, property taxes here (not federal) and only for the games played here.

I was thinking the same thing. Very curious what would work against us vs. other big market teams with higher local/state taxes and cost of living.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I’m really hoping that they aren’t thinking once Staal returns he’ll be like a deadline acquisition. Even with Staal they still need a legitimate 2nd line center.
He's almost ready, too

AR-303229443.jpg&MaxW=1200&Q=66

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

I was thinking the same thing. Very curious what would work against us vs. other big market teams with higher local/state taxes and cost of living.

8 Highest State Tax Rates for Professional Athletes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

1) Isn't that information dated? I think the NC income tax rate for 2018 is currently a flat 5.5% (down from 5.75% last year) and expected to drop even further in 2019 and not the 7.75% listed in that article (which is from 2014). On top of that, some states (ones I used to live in), do a bunch of stuff in terms of AGI modifications that really affect that number (upwards) and NC doesn't really do any of that.

2) That only looks at income tax. For instance, property taxes in most northern states (and even states like Tx which has not income tax) are much higher than NC as well, albeit that's lesser of a % of the total pie for pro athletes. It also doesn't include local/municipal taxes, excise taxes, etc...

I do agree with you that NC isn't one of the more desirable tax climates compare to FL, TX, NV, AZ,...but I don't think it's as bad as that articles states.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
1) Isn't that information dated? I think the NC income tax rate for 2018 is currently a flat 5.5% (down from 5.75% last year) and expected to drop even further in 2019 and not the 7.75% listed in that article (which is from 2014). On top of that, some states (ones I used to live in), do a bunch of stuff in terms of AGI modifications that really affect that number (upwards) and NC doesn't really do any of that.

2) That only looks at income tax. For instance, property taxes in most northern states (and even states like Tx which has not income tax) are much higher than NC as well, albeit that's lesser of a % of the total pie for pro athletes. It also doesn't include local/municipal taxes, excise taxes, etc...

I do agree with you that NC isn't one of the more desirable tax climates compare to FL, TX, NV, AZ,...but I don't think it's as bad as that articles states.

I was just getting at the point that N.C. doesn't have a tax advantage for athletes. It feels like colloquially that it *should* but in reality, it's not a selling point. Obviously, it's still a great place to live and raise a young family for a variety of other reasons that N.C. has over most other cities, but taxes isn't one of them.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Ya that’s true but maybe Necas could play wing for a year or so to get used to NHL? Just a thought. Henrique is 29 though, so maybe not the best example of a guy we could/should target. I think he also has 4 years left at 5.25 per.

Henrique has signed a five-year extension that hasn't even kicked in yet. I can't imagine him getting traded in that instance. I guess anything's possible, but Anaheim thought enough of the guy to give him five years *after* this one, so I'm guessing they think he's part of the solution and not somebody who needs to go as part of a rebuild.

Then again, maybe they're regretting the contract. But even if they are, I don't see anybody biting. Hopefully it costs them Rickard Rakell.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Wow. I was just looking at Anaheim's situation, and wow. They're already committed to over $70 million on 15 players next season and they're eyeing a top 5 draft pick. *That* is cap hell. Not Toronto paying a ton for superstars, but Anaheim paying $30 million next year for Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler and Henrique. I'm not sure how they did it, but they're even paying their role players ridiculous sums. Patrick Eaves makes $3.125. Devin Shore makes $2.5. Somebody named Carter Rowney is making $1.133. Even Cam Fowler at $6.5 is a little overpaid.

The only players under contract for next season that I'd take off that team for *free* are Rickard Rakell, Hampus Lindholm, Daniel Sprong, Brandon Montour and Gibson.

Think John Gibson regrets that 8-year extension yet? If not, I'll bet he will soon.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Anaheim seems to be having a Jaycob Megna as third pair D. He got a brother, Jayson, signed to WSH but playing in Hershey Bears. Their dad Jay was a defensive back for Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints in the 80's.

20131203-213334.jpg
, Jaccob, Micheal.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
I was just getting at the point that N.C. doesn't have a tax advantage for athletes. It feels like colloquially that it *should* but in reality, it's not a selling point. Obviously, it's still a great place to live and raise a young family for a variety of other reasons that N.C. has over most other cities, but taxes isn't one of them.

Of course, looking at your list, there are 3 NHL teams in CA, 3 in NY, 1 in DC and 1 in Minnesota. Add in the 6 Canadian teams and NC is no worse than middle of pack. Rankings from 2016 had the Canes at 12th best and that number should be better now with the tax rate dropping. Will it ever be as good as Texas, NV or Florida? Nope--but those states only have 4 teams vs. the at least 14 that have worse tax issues and will continue to do so. If you subtract the 2% percent off the tax rate, the Canes would be tied for 7th on the list. Still not the best--but it's selling point against over 2/3 of the NHL.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I’m really hoping that they aren’t thinking once Staal returns he’ll be like a deadline acquisition. Even with Staal they still need a legitimate 2nd line center.
I'm terrified at the idea of Staal coming back and the wheels immediately falling off. Not saying it's likely to happen... but it is very possible. I don't want him to be a boat anchor

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'm terrified at the idea of Staal coming back and the wheels immediately falling off. Not saying it's likely to happen... but it is very possible. I don't want him to be a boat anchor

With Koivu now out for the rest of the season and the wild sitting in the first wildcard spot I can’t see them trading Staal at this point.

Edit: silly me I misunderstood and thought you were talking about Eric. My bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad