All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That's not how I read it. I read it as the Canes have shown interest in Duchene (at rental prices).

Canes are still looking to move one of their RHD for help in the top 6, but it may not come until next season (ie..not a rental).

The Duchene part of the article on TFP was first. The Pesce/Faulk/Hamilton was later on in the article talking about the deadline in general.
Ahh alright. I mean I'm just saying in general, I don't like that people are even floating the thought of trading him out there. I don't think we'd get back anything that would make up for the stout defense he plays, especially with the contract he's locked in for.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The talk is about sign&trade. Order optional but pre-agreed with all parties. Ottawa would play ball to command the signed price for Duchene.

Duchene's agent has a vested interest in saying Duchene would be "open" to sign and trade. More teams would be interested and his demand increases.
Ottawa has a vested interest in saying Duchene would be "open" to a sign and trade. Improves his value.

In reality, I'm betting Duchene does NOT get moved in a sign and trade deal. I think it's smoke to try and drive up demand and prices.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Of the examples given, none of them were deadline deals of a pending UFA. Turris is the closest.

Drouin was an RFA at the end of his contract when traded so the team he was traded to would have held his rights no matter if he signed or not.
Pacioretty had another year on his contract when traded so wasn't strictly a rental.
Turris was traded in November, way earlier in the season so not a TDL rental. He DID sign right away though.

None of those are directly comparable to Duchene IMO. A UFA to be rental whose contract expires at the end of the season, traded at the deadline. I'm sure there are a few examples of this, but it's not very frequent.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
5 more years at $5.8m they better be "strongly pursuing" retention.

Can Anaheim retain on a contract that hasn't even kicked in yet? I'm sorry, but I'm still weirded out by the trade talk surrounding Henrique, when he signed an extension before this season that doesn't even *start* until July. There should be a "lemon law" clause.

He's more LW than center. Terrible contract. Meh player.

Agreed. Agreed. Disagree. He's a very good player, but the other two points make him a less than optimal fit for us.

Haven't watched much of CLB this year. Is Alex Wennberg a "buy low" sort of guy? Or a Victor Rask sort of guy?

Rumor is he's the centerpiece of the CBJ offer for Duchene.

Maybe Roy, but I'd be reluctant to bail on Gauthier just yet. Frankly, Gauthier is proving to be more of what we expected of him every day. He's a guy I'd hang on to so that we can see if his development continues.

I'm not saying he won't still be a viable NHLr as he has decent speed, has good size, is strong and has a good shot, but I'm curious which other top 6 power forwards have taken the same "historic" development path? I worry that he was a guy that was so dominant early on in Juniors because he was so much bigger and stronger than others at that age.

Wasn't Ferland's development path similar? I think we have to give Gauthier some time. He and Bean are from the same draft, and we knew both were projects. I'd rather not move Gauthier.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wasn't Ferland's development path similar? I think we have to give Gauthier some time. He and Bean are from the same draft, and we knew both were projects. I'd rather not move Gauthier.

I always thought Ferland was a scrappy, physical player with a bit of an edge that finally developed a scoring touch in the NHL (but didn't have one in the AHL). From a scoring POV, you are right but I don't think it was his scoring that got him into the NHL, it was the other aspects of his game. I get your point though.

I agree it's not time to give up on him, but I wouldn't not move him for the right deal either.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I apologize taking this one more time a bit of space for Puljujarvi. I just saw a new article about him in a Finnish evening paper Iltalehti. As I brought his name up and as there's been a bit of talk about him I'll make a rough translation of what David Staples and Bruce McCurdy from Edmonton Journal talked. I guess the original quotes could be found somewhere, but I couldn't find them too easily myself.

Staples:

- There hasn't been any kind of consistency in how the Oilers are handling Puljujarvi.

The player Puljujarvi has played the most with is Milan Lucic, who's currently known as a bonebreaker. According to Staples they've played together for 674 minutes.

- Did they really think it would work? Did they think that the best linemate for their top prospect would be a player who doesn't get anything done in the offensive zone?

- I just don't get it at all. Puljujarvi plays fast hockey. He gives quick passes, he wants to move fast, but he's played with this slow-footed Lucic. It's a terrible idea!

- This is a player who's got unique skills. He knows how to pass and how to shoot, but he doesn't get any PP time. Not even on the 2nd unit.

- And now they're sending this player away before they've even given him a chance to do what he does the best, which is being on the left side on the 1st PP unit. They haven't even tried him there! Still they're throwing him away.

Staples certainly isn't alone with the opinion that the whole management from the GM to the coach should be changed.

- Let's see then how Puljujarvi will do, when there are new, reliable people around him.

McCurdy:

- They don't have any plan. They never did. All scouts said he's ready for the NHL at the age of 18, but when it didn't work there wasn't a plan B.

- I don't think this guy is a new Yakupov. He is better than Yakupov. He is much bigger and he moves better on the ice.

Staples:

- It's about confidence and strength. They go together. You get more confidence and strength by age.

- If the options are the 4th line or the AHL the latter is better.

Eihän tässä ole mitään järkeä! Oilers sijoitti Jesse Puljujärveen kymmeniä miljoonia - seura harkitsee silti vetävänsä suomalaisen pöntöstä alas: ”En ymmärrä alkuunkaan”

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It took the Oilers until after his fourth season to give up on Yakupov, and the price was a third-round pick. Not sure what that means to the current Puljujarvi conversation, if anything.

For the record, Puljujarvi is exactly the kind of acquisition I would normally advocate for, but I just can't see it right now. We're just not in position to give up assets to try to salvage somebody's career at this point. If that means we miss out on him, that's too bad. If it means the price goes up, sorry.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
For the record, Puljujarvi is exactly the kind of acquisition I would normally advocate for, but I just can't see it right now. We're just not in position to give up assets to try to salvage somebody's career at this point. If that means we miss out on him, that's too bad. If it means the price goes up, sorry.

I never thought you'd do it to salvage his career. There are other options for that, too, but I thought the Hurricanes could be a great fit. I won't deny it that I want Puljujarvi to have a real chance to show what he's got, but I think he could become another great piece to help you guys take the next step forward. I hoped that could happen in the Oilers, but if not the Hurricanes would be the 2nd best option.

I'd be more worried about him if his numbers in the top6 were bad or just average for someone of his age. I saw an eye-opening comparison to Rantanen, Nylander and some other top prospects. So production numebrs in the top6 for a player of his age hasn't been a problem, but his lack of production on the 4th line, everchanging linemates (and Lucic the most constant one) and lack of PP usage have.

Of course that doesn't mean Puljujarvi doesn't have things to keep working on, but at his very best he's been so good there should be room in pretty much any team for a player like that. I don't know if and when he could play at that level consistenly, but a nice enough environment and bit of confidence would help enormously. Still you guys know better what you need and what pieces you can't afford trading away.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It took the Oilers until after his fourth season to give up on Yakupov, and the price was a third-round pick. Not sure what that means to the current Puljujarvi conversation, if anything.

I disagree to some extent. Of course, it depends on the cost. If it costs Necas or our 1st or things like that, I agree with you, I'd stay way. We have a few 2nd/3rd round picks and a lot of next level prospects that even if only some of them develop, likely won't have a spot. Kuokkanen, Roy, Saarela, Gauthier, Geekie, Matheos (sp?), McKeown, etc... If we can swing a deal for one of those guys (and it's debatable which one) and a 2nd round pick, I'd be open to it. If it costs more than that, I agree with you.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
To me it's not about losing a 2nd round pick, Gauthier, etc. I know we have lots of those. I wouldn't take him for free, I don't think he's worth the potential headache and messing with what we have going here. He doesn't want to go to the AHL, he'll be waiver eligible this year, it doesn't do him or the team any good to have him on the 4th line, and if you put him in the top 6 you're moving down someone better. What's left?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Can Anaheim retain on a contract that hasn't even kicked in yet? I'm sorry, but I'm still weirded out by the trade talk surrounding Henrique, when he signed an extension before this season that doesn't even *start* until July. There should be a "lemon law" clause.

I believe the answer to be yes. By the stipulations in the SPC, a SPC (= the player whom it concerns) is very transferable, and that's how the League wants it. Retained Salary Actions have their own strict limitations, but there are none for the trade of this sort of signed-but-not-yet-effective SPC.

Furthermore, the core idea of the non-renegotiability of a SPC has the specific exception that the team and a player who already at the time of signing meets the UFA-specifications can agree upon signing an extension that any transfer clauses agreed for the next season are in effect immediately even though the player is still playing under his previous SPC. The need for this exception comes from the fact that unless they agree to this, the team very obviously by the rules could trade the player before this new SPC of his and the trade clauses within will kick in.

No needs for lemon laws so. If the player has the leverage, he can demand an NMC and demand that it goes effective immediately. If the player doesn't have the leverage to get such trade clause and protection, isn't eligible for one (=not yet UFA), or neglects to negotiate for one, he's tradeable like any other common mook in the NHL.

Reactions: zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I know Poolparty has had some great chemistry with Aho in the past....

But

How much of that is actual skill by PP and how much of that is the impact of playing on Aho's line. As we see here, Aho makes everyone he plays with better. A lot better. Was that chemistry just a product of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->