All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They know RF will take Bean if they leave him exposed, so they will do something to prevent that from happening. My prediction is Bean for Laine straight up. Columbus could easily protect Jake and we could fit Laine in our 7 protected F's. Dundon wants exciting offensive hockey, so I feel he will push for something like this.
Do you really think that is all we'd have to move for Laine? I know he had a bad year and will need a new contract soon, but really?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
They know RF will take Bean if they leave him exposed, so they will do something to prevent that from happening. My prediction is Bean for Laine straight up. Columbus could easily protect Jake and we could fit Laine in our 7 protected F's. Dundon wants exciting offensive hockey, so I feel he will push for something like this.
Very little chance of that deal happening. Bean doesn’t have the level of value.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Very little chance of that deal happening. Bean doesn’t have the level of value.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It makes a lot of sense to trade Bean if they plan to protect Skjei. He has significantly more value than the next tier of expansion draft options. Plus it may nudge Seattle towards taking a sweetener along with Gardiner.

Bean would be a good addition to a package for a bigger forward piece. Eichel would be the moonshot but a guy like Sam Reinhart may be more attainable. I'd stay away from Laine unless Aho goes to bat for him.

I do like the timing with the expansion draft on July 21 --> Entry Draft on July 23-24 --> UFA on July 28. Should be a fun week.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

The question is whether you feel the forward you acquire is worth Bean + Nino or Bean + Foegele?

Because Nino or Foegele will be exposed, and likely picked over Geekie, if a Bean deal is made. If you want to try to get Seattle to take Gardiner, it's going to be expensive either way.

If the acquired forward isn't better than Nino/Foegele, you're downgrading the forwards just to spite Seattle.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He'd cost as much or more to sign next year PLUS the assets to get Columbus to move him to us. Great player but also a great cost. Why not just keep Dougie?

I think Jones could be enough of an upgrade over Dougie to be worth the similar contract and assets given up to get him. I do like Dougie but I think he'll be overpaid by a fairly significant amount. I think Seth will be worth whatever contract he gets, and if he wants out of Columbus which is rumored it may not cost as much in assets as many think... Odds are he just re-signs there but it was just a thought that crossed my mind, especially since this Canes team likes to make splashes.

Reactions: cptjeff

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Why give up assets to get a guy that's going UFA anyway? It would be one thing if we could talk extension before the trade but i highly doubt Columbus agrees to that. Not to mention he's going to be even more expensive than Dougie because he doesn't have quite the same negative reputation baggage

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think Jones could be enough of an upgrade over Dougie to be worth the similar contract and assets given up to get him. I do like Dougie but I think he'll be overpaid by a fairly significant amount. I think Seth will be worth whatever contract he gets, and if he wants out of Columbus which is rumored it may not cost as much in assets as many think... Odds are he just re-signs there but it was just a thought that crossed my mind, especially since this Canes team likes to make splashes.
From everything Columbus fans are saying he's declining rapidly in play. He's a clear downgrade offensively, I haven't seen enough to know if he's better/worse defensively than Doogie

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Jones will not be worth what he would cost to acquire, nor do I really think he’ll be worth whatever monster extension he ends up signing this year or next. Like he’s already been said, the Canes can sign an $8M RHD if they want to and it only costs them cap space.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I think Jones could be enough of an upgrade over Dougie to be worth the similar contract and assets given up to get him.
Jones is horribly overrated, Hamilton is better.

This is in addition to the lunacy of spending assets to acquire a guy to replace someone they could just re-sign (assuming, quite kindly imo, that Hamilton is open to re-signing in Carolina).

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
From everything Columbus fans are saying he's declining rapidly in play. He's a clear downgrade offensively, I haven't seen enough to know if he's better/worse defensively than Doogie

The advanced stats community backs up WreckingCrew's statement.

Screenshot_20210607-102016_Samsung Internet.jpg

Let Toronto or someone else back up the Brinks truck to him. Hopefully not us.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
To me we can afford one long contract this off-season. If its Dougie, okay. If not then a Hyman or Coleman type isnt bad either. Overall I try to remain as flexible as we can and stay with short contracts.

we have about 2 seasons of a cheaper core that progresses to expensive, assuming we bridge Svech. I would load up on veteran scorers and allow Svech and Necas to work through their bumps in the road with little pressure. We have counted on Svech this season and we have been critical of his play. I would try to add 2 scorers this season with short deals, dumping/buying out Gardiner, decide between McGinn and Foegele and get a 1B for Ned.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
As far as Seth Jones goes, he would be too expensive to acquire.

his underlying possession metrics don’t scare me that much. After Bread man and company left, Torts system became a prevent defense type and allowed other teams to maintain the puck. He plays all the hard minutes with little scoring help so his GA ratio is expected. xGF are also low because the system didn’t allow a lot offense. Then torts tried to make it more open with a short camp and it unsurprisingly sucked. That tanked his numbers as well.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm having a tough time envisioning a Gardiner buyout after how well the Darling/Reimer swap went. That success should reinforce the underlying organizational philosophy that buyouts are inefficient. I don't necessarily agree with it, but they may not change until it doesn't work out. Look at how they've treated UFAs a year out. The decision to trade Skinner worked out well. They did the same with Faulk a year later, which didn't. Hamilton was potentially an own-rental a year later.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm having a tough time envisioning a Gardiner buyout after how well the Darling/Reimer swap went. That success should reinforce the underlying organizational philosophy that buyouts are inefficient. I don't necessarily agree with it, but they may not change until it doesn't work out. Look at how they've treated UFAs a year out. The decision to trade Skinner worked out well. They did the same with Faulk a year later, which didn't. Hamilton was potentially an own-rental a year later.
We bought out Canes legend Marleau though

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I admit I'm hard pressed to see even a deal like de Haan happening, where Carolina got prospects back for de Haan and a prospect.

Maybe there's another 2022 expiring contract around that someone wants to buy out and would gamble on Gardiner or find him an easier buyout to swallow (like Darling vs Reimer.) Any potential buyout candidates people can identify?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

A buyout is just the option available to a team that has reached the end of all other options. If the Canes can pay Seattle a reasonable amount to take Gardiner or if they can find a Hornqvist-for-Matheson or Reimer type swap then they will do that instead.

I think the Canes will find a deal before a buyout. But I don't think a buyout is fully off the table. It wasn't inefficient in the case of Marleau. Depending on what the Canes do with the extra ~$3 million in Cap space it could be effective for Gardiner too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00