All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
A trade with Buffalo is intriguing to me, not for Eichel, but Reinhart and Ristolainen specifically.

I wonder if a base of Bean + prospect not named Jarvis + 2021 1st + cap dump (Niederreiter or Gardiner) would be of interest, probably not enough. They’d likely demand Jarvis.

I do have a feeling that they look at bringing in Ristolainen if the price is right. Also, could see Dundon push for Laine.

This is the move to make, IMO. IF we cannot re-sign Dougie then I think Risto is a good option to try. I will hope his defense isn't worse than Dougies. Reinhart would be the real steal, I think he could be very good on our team.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
This is the move to make, IMO. IF we cannot re-sign Dougie then I think Risto is a good option to try. I will hope his defense isn't worse than Dougies. Reinhart would be the real steal, I think he could be very good on our team.

I could live with:

Slavin-Ristolainen
Skjei-Pesce
???-Hakanpaa/Keane
Sellgren

Ristolainen only has 1 year left at $5.4M, but I highly doubt it would take $8M to re-sign him if he was a fit.

I’d also hope they take a look at Ryan Murray this offseason. I think he’d be a good fit on the 3rd pair, maybe too expensive for that though. Especially if they’re stuck with Gardiner

I imagine we’re in for a big move or 2 this off-season.

Reactions: jstaal and Daeavorn

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Yeah I think we protect Skjei now and watch Bean, Fleury develop in the west.

Yeah, as mentioned eariler, with Dougie looking less and less likely to return, Skjei is basically a must-protect at this point. Losing two top 4 defensemen (and getting nothing in return) would just ruin our backend. If that means losing Bean, so be it. Unless Dougie surprises everyone and takes less than $8M (which isn't happening), we can't afford to lose Skjei.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I like Skjei a lot. He's not overpaid, it's market value contract for solid top 4 guy that play with heart and passion. Good soldier, good fit, I like Skjei-Pesce pairing.

Not long ago we start with Slavin/Hamilton/deHaan/Faulk/Pesce/TVR/Fleury. If we let Skjei and Hamilton go, we only left with Slavin and Pesce. That's not good strategy at all.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I like Skjei a lot. He's not overpaid, it's market value contract for solid top 4 guy that play with heart and passion. Good soldier, good fit, I like Skjei-Pesce pairing.

Not long ago we start with Slavin/Hamilton/deHaan/Faulk/Pesce/TVR/Fleury. If we let Skjei and Hamilton go, we only left with Slavin and Pesce. That's not good strategy at all.
This is a big part of my desire to sign Dougie. If we lose two of them this summer we’ve gone from lots to little in short order without achieving any greatness. Hard to envision a scenario if we lose two, where we are as good on defense as we are now without paying prices we don’t want to pay.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Assuming they work out the situation on the blue-line cost effectively and they end up with some excess cap space by using some guys on ELCs, like Drury and/or Cotton, to fill some bottom 6 spots, what about RNH as an add up front?

Seems like he could play top 6 LW or C effectively and he already has a relationship with RBA. I wouldn’t be too surprised if he does end up a target if the Oilers let him get to UFA.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hot take.....I could see us being in the Eichel talks. We have the pieces, we may have the space depending on the trade. Aho as a second center makes us a very good team for awhile.

If Dougie is truly gone then Dumba would be one of the first guys I’d look at.

Yeah I've been looking at other rosters for Dougie replacement trade targets and there's just not much out there. But Dumba is the main name I usually end up coming back to. IIRC he was one of the rumored targets before the Skjei trade came together, and obviously Minnesota can't protect him right now unless they go 4+4. Would be nice if this is a situation where Seattle could act as a trade facilitator.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I could live with:

Slavin-Ristolainen
Skjei-Pesce
???-Hakanpaa/Keane
Sellgren

Ristolainen only has 1 year left at $5.4M, but I highly doubt it would take $8M to re-sign him if he was a fit.

I’d also hope they take a look at Ryan Murray this offseason. I think he’d be a good fit on the 3rd pair, maybe too expensive for that though. Especially if they’re stuck with Gardiner

I imagine we’re in for a big move or 2 this off-season.

Looks like the D of a team that doesn't crack the top half of the league offensively. I'm very weary of relying on Bean to take a step to offset what is lost with a Hamilton departure in win-now mode, but at least he has upside. Take him away and there's virtually no hope of anything other than a downgrade.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Risto having only one year left makes him pretty much useless unless it’s cheap, which it won’t be.

I like idea of Dumba as he’s a quick skater who has a pretty good shot but I think of him as pretty solid defensively. He would be an improvement on Dougie defensively and could be pretty good with the pp. It wouldn’t be as bad a drop off as someone like Risto would be, and there’s a hypothetical chance he fits in with the style of the team better than Dougie did.

He makes the same money as Dougie for two more years.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Risto having only one year left makes him pretty much useless unless it’s cheap, which it won’t be.

I like idea of Dumba as he’s a quick skater who has a pretty good shot but I think of him as pretty solid defensively. He would be an improvement on Dougie defensively and could be pretty good with the pp. It wouldn’t be as bad a drop off as someone like Risto would be, and there’s a hypothetical chance he fits in with the style of the team better than Dougie did.

He makes the same money as Dougie for two more years.
So we can sign Dougie to a little too much money or we can let him go, spend assets to trade for his replacement, who we then need to sign for probably too much money.

Sounds great.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Off the cuff prediction: Dougie negotiations stay stalled and Canes make a last ditch offer of $7.8m (no NTC). He can get more elsewhere, question is does he take it? There really do seem to be a lot of non financial benefits for him to stay with the Canes but we have no idea how he will value those.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Hot take.....I could see us being in the Eichel talks. We have the pieces, we may have the space depending on the trade. Aho as a second center makes us a very good team for awhile.

If Dougie is truly gone then Dumba would be one of the first guys I’d look at.

i mentioned this elsewhere but Eichel’s neck issues are very serious.

If he is talking about a disk replacement surgery than the “buyer” needs to understand that those surgeries are not guaranteed fixes and moreover very few top level athletes have taken that route (versus a fusion). Athletes with serious neck issues & in particularly hockey should not be ones we sign.

Btw: I speak from personal experience that it is not a sure thing solve.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So we can sign Dougie to a little too much money or we can let him go, spend assets to trade for his replacement, who we then need to sign for probably too much money.

Sounds great.

It's 2 more years at the current contract though instead of paying $8-9 million. Dumba's contract would also end at the same time as Ninos and Trochecks.

Basically, we save 2-3 million going from Hamilton to Dumba and use that money to give Svech his raise

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It's 2 more years at the current contract though instead of paying $8-9 million. Dumba's contract would also end at the same time as Ninos and Trochecks.

Basically, we save 2-3 million going from Hamilton to Dumba and use that money to give Svech his raise
Sure we save the four to six million. But what assets does it cost to get him? A first and what prospects? Is that worth the cap savings?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Are we ok with a first and a good prospect for Dumba though, when we can just pay Dougie? Lol...sorry @MinJaBen

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Sure we save the four to six million. But what assets does it cost to get him? A first and what prospects? Is that worth the cap savings?

At this point, if we're going in for a Cup run, we need to be willing to part with the 1st and prospects. We just can't go full JR and empty the coffers

Reactions: cptjeff

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I would ask for a 1st+Ponomaryov/Rees/Suzuki if I were the GM in charge of moving Dumba.

Minnesota either has to pay to save him or take less than typical value to move him.

Those aren't the only options. This is definitely not a case where Minnesota has no leverage.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would ask for a 1st+Ponomaryov/Rees/Suzuki if I were the GM in charge of moving Dumba.

Those aren't the only options. This is definitely not a case where Minnesota has no leverage.
I didn’t say they had no leverage. They aren’t going to give him away for pennies but it wouldn’t be dollar for dollar.

Minnesota could go 4-4 if they want. It is risky for them.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn’t say they had no leverage. They aren’t going to give him away for pennies but it wouldn’t be dollar for dollar.

Minnesota could go 4-4 if they want. It is risky for them.

There's been a lot of speculation that Parise and even Suter could waive, which would effectively allow us to protect 8+4 by paying Seattle a pittance to take someone like Soucy over Suter, and we'd still keep Dumba, Greenway, etc. In that case, Dumba could get much closer to a dollar on the dollar.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
They know RF will take Bean if they leave him exposed, so they will do something to prevent that from happening. My prediction is Bean for Laine straight up. Columbus could easily protect Jake and we could fit Laine in our 7 protected F's. Dundon wants exciting offensive hockey, so I feel he will push for something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad