All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
When you're searching for more depth, aren't you in fact looking into abyss?

giphy-downsized.gif

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Made a thread in the poll section that I thought was an interesting one.

Necas vs. N Suzuki.

Both drafted in 2017 in consecutive spots in the 1st round. Nearly identical stats in the NHL.

I like both players a lot and I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I know we definitely are good with our pick here.

Necas vs Suzuki

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Made a thread in the poll section that I thought was an interesting one.

Necas vs. N Suzuki.

Both drafted in 2017 in consecutive spots in the 1st round. Nearly identical stats in the NHL.

I like both players a lot and I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I know we definitely are good with our pick here.

Necas vs Suzuki
You couldn’t slide an Aho choice in there? Disappointing

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'd rather add Correy Perry than Staal. He is more of a physical agitator who can score, is a natural winger, and has no weird family dynamic.

Svech Aho TT
NN Tro Necas
McGinn Staal Perry
Foegele French Marty party

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'd rather add Correy Perry than Staal. He is more of a physical agitator who can score, is a natural winger, and has no weird family dynamic.

Svech Aho TT
NN Tro Necas
McGinn Staal Perry
Foegele French Marty party
Why would he be available? Aren’t the Habs also trying to make the playoffs and do some damage?

Reactions: Unsustainable

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Pushing too many young legs out of the lineup will change the way the team plays. The heart of the Carolina Hurricanes brand of hockey is a fast and aggressive forecheck.

But also, Perry is likely unavailable because he's playing very well on a team that still is pushing for a playoff spot.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Per Adam Gold:

According to Pierre LeBrun of TSN/The Athletic the Hurricanes have interest in bringing Eric Staal back to Raleigh for a stretch run. It’s not something the team is considering for right now, but if he’s still with Buffalo on deadline day, it’s an option. Staal is in the last year of a contract that pays him $3.25 million and is not having a good season with the Sabres -- I know, I know, nobody is. But, the cost of acquiring him would be a mid-round draft pick at the worst, and he could play the wing or center and would be great insurance down the stretch in case of injury.

If you’re asking me, and I know you’re not, if the Hurricanes are in the market for anything it’s NHL caliber depth on the blue line. I’d be searching for a couple of right shot defense options to put with Jake Bean as a 3rd pairing. While we’re in Buffalo, Brandon Montour ($3.85m) might be a good idea. And, he might even be a good option as an unrestricted free agent beyond this year if the price is right.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Burnside: 6 NHL trade deadline deals I want to see happen

Scott Burnside says he wants to see Jonathan Quick to the Canes.

"Both Reimer and Mrazek are pending UFAs and Nedeljkovic is a restricted free agent so it’s possible the Canes could expose Quick in the expansion draft. As for a return, at this stage of his career and given Quick’s contract a late-round pick or lower-tier prospect is likely all it would cost Carolina. Pretty small exposure for a possible big-time return on investment."

Notes that new advisor Justin Williams won 2 Cups with Quick so he would be a good consult.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

"Both Reimer and Mrazek are pending UFAs and Nedeljkovic is a restricted free agent so it’s possible the Canes could expose Quick in the expansion draft. As for a return, at this stage of his career and given Quick’s contract a late-round pick or lower-tier prospect is likely all it would cost Carolina. Pretty small exposure for a possible big-time return on investment."

Notes that new advisor Justin Williams won 2 Cups with Quick so he would be a good consult.
Absolutely NOT. Quick is on his third consecutive bad season and has two more years left (after this one) at a $5.8M cap hit. Quick would be purely a name brand pickup based on his past glory, and those types of acquisitions almost never work. He's not an upgrade on any of the three goalies we have, and he's going to be a lot more expensive.

Also what does Justin Williams winning Cups with Quick have to do with anything. Is that going to give him some magical powers to predict that Quick is suddenly going to bounce back at age 35?

EDIT: Quick is actually 35, not 32 like I previously thought. This makes it even worse. Totally insane to even consider acquiring him.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

If the idea is to parlay Gardiner's back issues and Reimer's UFA status into upgrading the #3 goalie spot for no asset cost and to set the tandem for the next two seasons as Nedeljkovic and Quick, I wouldn't be against it. If I'm going to do a goalie move, though, I'd probably focus on getting a true #1 like Gibson and using that top-5 farm system to full effect.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A late-round pick or a lower-tier prospect?

Nah, maybe if they made it like the Marleau deal and sent us a 1st.

You know what, not even if they did that. Svech is coming up, Dougie is coming up. Necas is coming up at the end of next season. The Marleau deal was strategically one season in a year we didn't need the cap space. Coming up, we absolutely need that space (with or without Dougie). At the end of the day all it does for us is turn our 3-headed-monster into a 4-headed-monster.

That's dumb.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Absolutely NOT. Quick is on his third consecutive bad season and has two more years left (after this one) at a $5.8M cap hit. Quick would be purely a name brand pickup based on his past glory, and those types of acquisitions almost never work. He's not an upgrade on any of the three goalies we have, and he's going to be a lot more expensive.

Also what does Justin Williams winning Cups with Quick have to do with anything. Is that going to give him some magical powers to predict that Quick is suddenly going to bounce back at age 32?

That contract is a long-term issue unless the Kings are retaining. If there is retention, the price would go up but my interest would also be piqued. That would allow Carolina to move on from a mistake in Quick and make a move for a different goalie later. Then again, I think it's more likely Seattle considers Quick if he's a $3M-$4M cap hit for 2 seasons.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
That contract is a long-term issue unless the Kings are retaining. If there is retention, the price would go up but my interest would also be piqued. That would allow Carolina to move on from a mistake in Quick and make a move for a different goalie later. Then again, I think it's more likely Seattle considers Quick if he's a $3M-$4M cap hit for 2 seasons.

It depends, IMO. If it's Burnside's proposed deal, hell no. If, however, the Canes think that Gardiner's back is a chronic/long-term issue and they see an opportunity to get Quick for no asset cost and just $1.8M of added salary, that's a different story. A deal like Gardiner/Reimer for Quick + Toronto's 3rd? I don't see that as a bad trade by any means if you think that Gardiner's back is permanently screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad