OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'll be honest, I sat through and read every comment on this page. I can understand Islanders fans resentment and anger towards John Tavares and the Maple Leafs. But I have yet to see anyone here speak from an unbiased viewpoint.

Look at the facts for a change, you had an elite #1 overall, #1 legitimate franchise centre who was on an absolute sweetheart team friendly 5.5 million dollar deal from the ages of 21-27..which is absolutely unheard of anywhere in this league. Ask yourselves this question, what did NYI management do to surround Tavares with a contending caliber team?

At the end of the day JT is a professional athlete, he wants to win, and he also wants to get paid too. He gave the Islanders nearly a decade of his services for less than half of what he deserved $$ wise with little to no help on the ice. He honoured his initial contract and played to its end, it was his every right to explore free agency and go where he wanted to.

I'm not trying to lecture Islanders fans here, I'm just asking you to see things from another perspective.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
blahblah blahblah.

tldr

giphy.webp

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'll be honest, I sat through and read every comment on this page. I can understand Islanders fans resentment and anger towards John Tavares and the Maple Leafs. But I have yet to see anyone here speak from an unbiased viewpoint.

Look at the facts for a change, you had an elite #1 overall, #1 legitimate franchise centre who was on an absolute sweetheart team friendly 5.5 million dollar deal from the ages of 21-27..which is absolutely unheard of anywhere in this league. Ask yourselves this question, what did NYI management do to surround Tavares with a contending caliber team?

At the end of the day JT is a professional athlete, he wants to win, and he also wants to get paid too. He gave the Islanders nearly a decade of his services for less than half of what he deserved $$ wise with little to no help on the ice. He honoured his initial contract and played to its end, it was his every right to explore free agency and go where he wanted to.

I'm not trying to lecture Islanders fans here, I'm just asking you to see things from another perspective.

You read every comment on this Islanders page and didn't see fans also blaming Wang, Snow, Weight, Malkin etc?

You didn't see the complaints about getting rid of his buddies Okposo, and Nielsen and replacing them with Ladd?

I question what exactly you read then.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006

So now that you have spoken, we have now had someone speak from an unbiased viewpoint and you can happily leave, right?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

The aspect that really burns the anger from NYI fans are that the grown man mislead Isles brass for years. Constant quotes about wanting to stay and if he had the integrity to just say I'm debating on testing the FA market then the sting would of been accepted atleast. Just bad business if you ask me.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

You asked, we rejected . . . about 7,942 posts ago. You bring nothing new to this discussion.

Reactions: Quicklime

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Apparently critical thinking and reading comprehension isn't taught in Ontario schools. Yet another Leafs fan who doesn't seem to get why Islanders' fans are upset. Repeating the same things over and over: "he had a bad supporting cast"; "he had the right to explore his options"; yada, yada.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

if you read through the 9 pages, you will see it is not about the team and all the other reasons, it is about how he did it, how in every interview he said nothing other than his desire to stay, how he wants to be like his Uncle and play for 1 team his entire career, if he had dropped hints about his desire to leave or voiced a displeasure in the team, the management, the arena situation, it would have raised eyebrows and there is a very real chance the team would have traded him before the deadline, but all he said was how he wants to stay and it would have been insane (outside of those who are able to see through bullshit like me) to trade your Captain and franchise player if they are saying how much they want to stay.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Fair comment but you’re missing the point. Nobody is denying the fact that Snow neglected the team and wang was horrible. Nobody is upset that Tavares childhood dream was/is to play for the leafs. That’s not why the fan base is upset and hurt. The majority of isles fans know and understand he was a free agent and had he right to leave.

The problem is Tavares through his actions and words gave the isles fans and franchise every indication that he was in it for the long haul. Obviously he doesn’t owe the franchise and the fans anything but he should have made it perfectly clear that he wasn’t willing to sign or talk contract during the season and he intended on going to July first OR just say in training camp that he’s not discussing his contract or free agent status and focused on the season. Instead he willingly processed his LOVE and DESIRE to stay on Long Island and to remain an islander. He said things like how important it was for him to remain with one organization for his entire career and how rare that is. He said how much of an honor it was to be an NHL captain and that he has different responsibilities to an organization than the average player. He said he’s solely focused on staying and remaining an islander. He even went as far as saying that he could potentially see a deal being worked out during the season. These are all facts and his own words. He may have meant them at the time or he may not have. That’s irrelevant.

My personal problem is this.

This history of the islanders.

John Tavares was the one guy who seemed to get it. He understood the heartache that this fan base has been through for close to 3 decades. He knew how badly this fan base had suffered. He wanted to be the one to turn it around and we were getting close. He left at a time where the organization was in the best position it had been since the dynasty days.

He left with no excuses. You said the isles had done nothing but in Tavares tenure in the NHL the isles have be to the playoffs more than the leafs and have won a series.

The isles finally have all the ingredients to become a winning first class organization.

Great ownership
New state of the art arena being built
Great management
Legit head coach.
Good young players and a legit star in Barzal to ride shotgun with.
Great prospects.

If there were anything I’m his heart that that truly loved being an islander he would have stayed. There were no excuses.

He wanted to be a leaf and that’s fine. The problem is how he strung the team along and gave false hope.

The maple leaf fans are passionate. I highly doubt if a similar set of circumstances happened they would act and feel any different from isles fans.

You don’t come across as someone who was trying to come and troll but it’s not your place to come to the isles board and try to change anyone’s mind on the situation. This is pretty much the isles thread to vent.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Fair comment but you’re missing the point. Nobody is denying the fact that Snow neglected the team and wang was horrible. Nobody is upset that Tavares childhood dream was/is to play for the leafs. That’s not why the fan base is upset and hurt. The majority of isles fans know and understand he was a free agent and had he right to leave.

The problem is Tavares through his actions and words gave the isles fans and franchise every indication that he was in it for the long haul. Obviously he doesn’t owe the franchise and the fans anything but he should have made it perfectly clear that he wasn’t willing to sign or talk contract during the season and he intended on going to July first OR just say in training camp that he’s not discussing his contract or free agent status and focused on the season. Instead he willingly processed his LOVE and DESIRE to stay on Long Island and to remain an islander. He said things like how important it was for him to remain with one organization for his entire career and how rare that is. He said how much of an honor it was to be an NHL captain and that he has different responsibilities to an organization than the average player. He said he’s solely focused on staying and remaining an islander. He even went as far as saying that he could potentially see a deal being worked out during the season. These are all facts and his own words. He may have meant them at the time or he may not have. That’s irrelevant.

My personal problem is this.

This history of the islanders.

John Tavares was the one guy who seemed to get it. He understood the heartache that this fan base has been through for close to 3 decades. He knew how badly this fan base had suffered. He wanted to be the one to turn it around and we were getting close. He left at a time where the organization was in the best position it had been since the dynasty days.

He left with no excuses. You said the isles had done nothing but in Tavares tenure in the NHL the isles have be to the playoffs more than the leafs and have won a series.

The isles finally have all the ingredients to become a winning first class organization.

Great ownership
New state of the art arena being built
Great management
Legit head coach.
Good young players and a legit star in Barzal to ride shotgun with.
Great prospects.

If there were anything I’m his heart that that truly loved being an islander he would have stayed. There were no excuses.

He wanted to be a leaf and that’s fine. The problem is how he strung the team along and gave false hope.

The maple leaf fans are passionate. I highly doubt if a similar set of circumstances happened they would act and feel any different from isles fans.

You don’t come across as someone who was trying to come and troll but it’s not your place to come to the isles board and try to change anyone’s mind on the situation. This is pretty much the isles thread to vent.
The only relatable situation would be the Leafs getting nothing in return for Sundin because he wouldn't waive his no trade clause.Then he goes and plays with Vancouver. So the resentment factor is there. But these players earn the right to make their own decisions.Life presents changes and people move on!

Reactions: dood

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The only relatable situation would be the Leafs getting nothing in return for Sundin because he wouldn't waive his no trade clause.Then he goes and plays with Vancouver. So the resentment factor is there. But these players earn the right to make their own decisions.Life presents changes and people move on!

I had a feeling someone was going to bring up Sundin. Apples to oranges.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
giphy.gif

They seem to be multiplying like roaches btw.

"And I wonder day to day
I don't like you anyway
I don't need your shit today
You're pathetic, in your own way
I feel for you, better f***ing go away
I will behave, better f***ing go away"

Last edited:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
sundin was an old tractor by the time he left for vancouver

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You would have been better off just saying “sour grapes”

I would have respected you more.
It is whatever you wanna make of it...ultimately about your feeligs of some person you really know nothing about... A great big waste of time! Move on...Leaf fans know how to do that at least!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
sundin was an old tractor by the time he left for vancouver
Yes, but he could of accepted a trade.He stood by his earned rights and felt he owed the team nothing....a lot of Leaf fans didn't like that! Tavares had no obligation to stay in NY either!

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Yes, but he could of accepted a trade.He stood by his earned rights and felt he owed the team nothing....a lot of Leaf fans didn't like that! Tavares had no obligation to stay in NY either!

Find me one post where one person on this board says: John Tavares had an obligation to stay with the Islanders.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

p0jssju5li911.jpg

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

You're in the Islanders forum and are expecting to see posts that aren't biased leaning toward the Islanders? That's like going to the Leafs forum and expecting them not to favor the Leafs. Being biased is an innate human characteristic and to be honest most fanbases could see the Tavares situation through an unbiased lens...and the Isles and Leafs fanbases would obviously be the most biased.

PS: You must have missed some of my posts.

PPS: Stop trying to get a rise out of Islander fans on our forum by going against the grain (that's partly my job lol jk), but seriously I clash heads often around here...but since I'm an Islander fan that's completely different. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, go grab a double-double and chill.

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What was wrong with that reply? It’s a legitimate response to a sarcastic post. What’s wrong with a little back and forth as long as it’s civil?

This thread is on the Isles board and for Isles fans. I'm not interested in cleaning up all the back and forth nonsense that comes from outsiders coming in telling Isles fans how they should feel.

If you want to have a back and forth, go to the main boards.

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ

Cant you just be happy with your manchild and leave it at that.

Reactions: STLomacneko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad