OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've always said three, but I hear you

Depending on when a player made the NHL, a player can log a lot of miles on their body. Tavares made the NHL at 19. At 28 this upcoming season, he has already logged a lot of hard miles. I look at Toews and how he has fallen off, this is why it would not surprise me how quickly a player can fall off. If we look at Toews, he was terrific until he hit 28 and then a decline occurred where he has yet to get back to where he once was. This is why I am saying to Isles fans sometimes not winning on July 1, is a blessing in disguise.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Depending on when a player made the NHL, a player can log a lot of miles on their body. Tavares made the NHL at 19. At 28 this upcoming season, he has already logged a lot of hard miles. I look at Toews and how he has fallen off, this is why it would not surprise me how quickly a player can fall off. If we look at Toews, he was terrific until he hit 28 and then a decline occurred where he has yet to get back to where he once was. This is why I am saying to Isles fans sometimes not winning on July 1, is a blessing in disguise.

I agree. But it became personal and now I hate the m***********.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
"Moral obligation to reveal his true intent..."...Please stop. Please. He was obligated to do ****, plain and simple. Management only was obligated to do something.

Technically you are correct. However, if I put myself or anyone else with a high level of integrity in that position, what do you think happens? One year ago, management would've been informed I was considering other options. Not "I hope to play out my career with the Islanders." If you don't think he was planning this for a long time you're a fool. If you don't think he owed the team the courtesy of getting something for him, then you're just pathetic.

Silent Cal

Apr 8, 2016
Technically you are correct. However, if I put myself or anyone else with a high level of integrity in that position, what do you think happens? One year ago, management would've been informed I was considering other options. Not "I hope to play out my career with the Islanders." If you don't think he was planning this for a long time you're a fool. If you don't think he owed the team the courtesy of getting something for him, then you're just pathetic.

Wow a pathetic fool...pretty funny. I've been called worse. "I hope to play out my career..." is not the same as "I will play out my career..." What was he really supposed to say? He never needed to say he was considering other options because he was always considering other options...he had to, only a fool wouldn't. You want to talk about pathetic, look at the blubbering and vindictiveness of a whole lot of you.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why is it that I am the one trying to get "a rise out of people", yet the converse isn't true? If you're going to moderate, moderate, but that demands that you be fair about it and not take sides. Clearly not the case.

I think you are confused about how moderation works. Moderation is biased across the board for each individual teams board, and fairly unbiased on the main boards. You are on the ISLANDER'S HFBOARDS. Way different expectations than the main boards. So absolutely sidetaking happens here because moderators policing their own teams boards want to keep an enjoyable atmosphere for the posters who are here, not for strangers with clearly opposing opinions that already have their mind made up and don't have an eighth of the information that fans who follow the team have, no matter how hockey worldly they claim to be.

So don't come to another team's board, spout an opposing view point you don't have enough information to back, and then be mad that things aren't "fair". That's what we would expect going to your board, you should expect the same here.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ironic, this is what I was thinking when they closed the Tavares thread on the mainboard due to all the off topic stuff Leafs fans spew. Absolutely the worst.

In the end, as I said there. There are serious questions on Tavares deception on how he left the Isles, and legitimate questions about how effective he will be in years 3-7 of his massive contract.

Prior to how he left, I thought he only had 2 good years where his PP production will make his contract palatable. But given Judas' deception on how he left, I think Lamoriello was lucky to escape a terrible handcuffing contract when the Pajama 16M $ man wanted to live out his child hood dreams.

What I am saying here to Isles fans is given how Judas left, and how he will decline as others have before him have. Him signing with Toronto will turn out to be a blessing for NY Isles. I truly believe this. Guys and gals have faith. Isles will have karma on their side on this one. This is the same feeling as I had on Barzal before he hit 85 points this year and we know how that turned out. It will all work out in the wash. Give it time.

I understand your rationale but i'm torn here. If we had been able to keep Tr91tor and that lead to a productive offseason (Karlsson?) it could have vaulted us into a chance to compete for the cup and nobody would think twice about years 3-7. I don't think Leaf's fans will think twice about year 3-7 of they win a cup in the next two years. That's where the hurt sinks in. I know the team sucked last season, but I squarely believe it was de Haan being injured and Doug Weight costing us 20 points alone. Take those two things away and we are a much better team. I would have high hopes going into this season with LL, Trotz and Tr91tor on board.

So sure, Tr91tor's contract would have sucked in the future, but the present would be full of optimism. Now we don't even know how badly this will affect Barzal.

Reactions: Sorge Georos

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Wow a pathetic fool...pretty funny. I've been called worse. "I hope to play out my career..." is not the same as "I will play out my career..." What was he really supposed to say? He never needed to say he was considering other options because he was always considering other options...he had to, only a fool wouldn't. You want to talk about pathetic, look at the blubbering and vindictiveness of a whole lot of you.
Get lost.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
:whaaa?: :dunce:

Reactions: 24diving

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

YOU.do not have the right to tell US how WE feel.

Don’t like the opinions here?

Put on your white and blue pj’s and f*** off.

Cut your own damned incessant blubbering and do something useful.

When I need to hear from an apologist, I’ll rattle pennies in a back alley. As for now, stop whinging about what you think people should feel, understand how a perspective can be the negative of yours, and either stop trying to act like you’re bigger (you wouldn’t be poking around in here if you truly were) or simply LEAVE.

Last edited:

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI

He didn't have to constantly be "vindictive" about wanting to spend his entire career with the NYI and not bolting to Toronto. Stop acting like every player says crap like that. Bryce Harper doesn't tease Nationals fans like that. Machado didn't tease Orioles fans like that. Paul George didn't tease OKC fans like that.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He didn't have to constantly be "vindictive" about wanting to spend his entire career with the NYI and not bolting to Toronto. Stop acting like every player says crap like that. Bryce Harper doesn't tease Nationals fans like that. Machado didn't tease Orioles fans like that. Paul George didn't tease OKC fans like that.

I think we've seen a player in NY who has had the combination of being so single-minded, and (therefore) so incredibly stupid about understanding how he comes off, and that's Alex Rodriguez. Of course, JT will never reach A-Rod levels in either single-minded focus/talent with related total myopia. But if there's any spectrum he's on, it's on that A-Rod spectrum.

And that's the potential for Toronto. That they've got themselves their A-Rod.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I think we've seen a player in NY who has had the combination of being so single-minded, and (therefore) so incredibly stupid about understanding how he comes off, and that's Alex Rodriguez. Of course, JT will never reach A-Rod levels in either single-minded focus/talent with related total myopia. But if there's any spectrum he's on, it's on that A-Rod spectrum.

And that's the potential for Toronto. That they've got themselves their A-Rod.

A-Rod is way more of a man than Tavares will ever be. He just has a pathological obsession with being liked.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good morning Isles fans!

Onto today. I found this post humorous on the main board today. I am kind of getting tired of the narrative of excuses that Tavares was a one man show when he was on the Island all these years. Excuses you rarely hear from a great player like Erik Karlsson who was able to lift a team like Ottawa to 5 games of a cup. Now to be fair there were years he was definitely one of the few reasons to watch the Islanders.

But last year, he was not a one man show. He almost had a career year with 84 points, and he did have the support of a terrific rookie Center that outscored him with 85 points. So the notion that Tavares never had any support is ridiculous. And guess what the Isles still missed the playoffs last year despite having another Center that out scored Judas with 85 points. This was the bottom line. Missed the playoffs with Tavares again.

I invite you my Islander friends to read this exchange. Awaiting an answer.

First this post.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148264741/

Second My reply.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148265633/

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Might as well just photoshop a glass of milk in his hand.
Or a TML sippy cup.

130584062113755p

Medvescak

Kid Calder
Mar 22, 2018
Good morning Isles fans!

Onto today. I found this post humorous on the main board today. I am kind of getting tired of the narrative of excuses that Tavares was a one man show when he was on the Island all these years. Excuses you rarely hear from a great player like Erik Karlsson who was able to lift a team like Ottawa to 5 games of a cup. Now to be fair there were years he was definitely one of the few reasons to watch the Islanders.

But last year, he was not a one man show. He almost had a career year with 84 points, and he did have the support of a terrific rookie Center that outscored him with 85 points. So the notion that Tavares never had any support is ridiculous. And guess what the Isles still missed the playoffs last year despite having another Center that out scored Judas with 85 points. This was the bottom line. Missed the playoffs with Tavares again.

I invite you my Islander friends to read this exchange. Awaiting an answer.

First this post.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148264741/

Second My reply.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148265633/

Excellent Post - Totally agree
Being a huge Islander fan all my life - living in T.O. - my wife and kids all have Tavares jerseys (still trying to figure out how to turn them into Trottier or Goring jerseys). I have always showed my unconditional love for the Isles. Wearing the jersey to Leaf games and to my shinny games, my kids & wife wearing Isles jersey to school on jersey days. I've always worn my Islander heart on my sleeve.

I can't begin to explain how painful it is having to deal with Leaf fans asking me how I felt about the signing and thinking I'm about to have a civil discussion. I always begin by saying I would have loved for us to sign Tavares and that him and the Calder Kid would make an awesome 1-2 punch. With Trotz /Lou on board I firmly believe they would have been a strong playoff contender in 2 years.

However, if having to choose to have Tavares/old management vs. no Tavares/current management, I would chose the latter.

One thing is clear, the Leaf fans have no idea what kind of player they are getting in Tavares. I hear things like run and gun and two way player. I try to explain how many times he's disappeared when the team needed him the most. I explain the overtime errors, long shifts, shootout fiascos, drop passes to noone, weak one timers - things that drove me crazy but accepted because he did more good than bad. You should see their faces when I ask how many games they have watched Tavares play and I mention I have watched over 90% of his games with the Isles.

While a flawed #1C, he was our #1C. But top 5 in the league??? no way could I ever argue for that.

I will appreciate the good moments for sure but with the way he exited, he is now dead to me. The way it made me feel when I saw his picture post of him drooling on his Leaf pajamas made me sick to my stomach because I always thought him to be one of the most loyal and classiest players in the league and this childesh attempt at tugging at people's heart strings just made me sick. He will never have the satisfaction of being in the same truly special league as a Crosby/Ovechkin in terms of being the centerpiece carrying the franchise on their backs to Stanley Cup wins.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Excellent Post - Totally agree

However, if having to choose to have Tavares/old management vs. no Tavares/current management, I would chose the latter.

People still heartbroken over this departure need to look at the big picture, I am with you and can say with a high degree of confidence that this team was winning bupkis with Snow in charge, w/ JT or not. His fatal flaws superceeded his flashes of savviness

One thing is clear, the Leaf fans have no idea what kind of player they are getting in Tavares. I hear things like run and gun and two way player. I try to explain how many times he's disappeared when the team needed him the most. I explain the overtime errors, long shifts, shootout fiascos, drop passes to noone, weak one timers - things that drove me crazy but accepted because he did more good than bad. You should see their faces when I ask how many games they have watched Tavares play and I mention I have watched over 90% of his games with the Isles.

They are in for a harsh wake up call, thats for sure. They got a great player but he isn't getting younger and the league is only getting faster, JT scores some on the rush, but he's not that kind of player that will slaughter you with odd man rushes (Forsberg, Tarasenko, Seguin). Should they win a cup, the contract will be justified by everyone, understandably, but should they not, it's not really a matter of if but really when they turn on him and his contract is considered an albatross.

His deal is basically the Shea Weber of forwards. He'll continue to command respect due to his resume and ability, but his effectiveness will wane.

Medvescak

Kid Calder
Mar 22, 2018
[QUOTE="
His deal is basically the Shea Weber of forwards. He'll continue to command respect due to his resume and ability, but his effectiveness will wane.[/QUOTE]

Excellent comparison - only time will tell if true

Reactions: ekill08x

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The way I look at it is this, the Isles lost Tavares but they gave themselves 12 million dollars in breathing space to give Lou the room needed to make the important decisions to make this team a true Cup contender. Let's say we had traded him at the deadline, at best we would have received a late first rounder and maybe a half decent 2nd or 3rd liner or a half decent defender. We were never going to get equal value for Tavares because he was going to be a UFA and any team who would have wanted him come playoff time would have more than likely had a later first round pick. Take the 12 million a year the Isles saved for the next 8 years and do something productive with it. Like I said before the hockey gods have been very kind to the Islanders these last couple of years with Barzal, Walhstrom, and Dobson essentially falling in our laps all worthy early first round draft picks and we still don't know what Hosang's ceiling is. The team was clearly a more dynamic, exciting team with Hosang in the line-up regardless of the rookie turnovers he made. The team has a more experienced Pulock onboard, and a young sniper in Bellows who almost certainly should make the team this year. These additions, Hosang, Bellows should be enough to make up for quite a bit of what we lost with Tavares no longer in the line-up. The time to have done something with Tavares was in his first 9 years in the NHL not the last 8. The team has more than enough offensive firepower to win games. What they need is better goaltending and a more balanced defensive-inclusive system. Some of that will be addressed, hopefully, under Trot's coaching with an entirely new system in place and all remnants of Jack and Doug's systems deleted. It was certainly a disgrace the manner in which Tavares left this team, but I believe we will face much better times ahead now that Capt. Slow has left the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad