OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Cal

Apr 8, 2016
YOU.do not have the right to tell US how WE feel.

Don’t like the opinions here?

Put on your white and blue pj’s and **** off.

Cut your own damned incessant blubbering and do something useful.

When I need to hear from an apologist, I’ll rattle pennies in a back alley. As for now, stop whinging about what you think people should feel, understand how a perspective can be the negative of yours, and either stop trying to act like you’re bigger (you wouldn’t be poking around in here if you truly were) or simply LEAVE.

I'm not telling anyone how to feel. Having opinions that are different from mine are fine...I'm responding to the over-the top hatred and ill will (and worse) that are in many of the posts I've read. I will admit that a few of my posts have been abrasive and have prompted a few of you into telling me to go f*** off. Fair enough.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not telling anyone how to feel. Having opinions that are different from mine are fine...I'm responding to the over-the top hatred and ill will (and worse) that are in many of the posts I've read. I will admit that a few of my posts have been abrasive and have prompted a few of you into telling me to go **** off. Fair enough.

Of course people have ill-will.

He said he wanted to be like his “one team” uncle.

He asked not to be traded.

His tweet of the pajamas was a faux pas that suggests this wasn’t a new thought.

Simply put, we feel lied to by him and poorly represented by former management. The ill will is a right.

All I say is that it is up to those visiting this board to gauge the mood. Rationalizing the thoughts of a deserter as having valor is not going to win many points.

Understand that we are, in varying measures, hoping to never see Toronto win a Cup with him on the roster, hoping he collapses under the added pressure, or waiting for Matt Martin to show him the boards. He is not going to get good graces, anymore than Art Modell gets a parade in Cleveland.

He f***ed Islander Country, and there are two opinions on the matter in the eyes of many:

Apologists/Trolls
Fans of the Franchise

We reserve the right to verbally run through anyone who picks the wrong lot as much as any other fanbase.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Excellent Post - Totally agree
Being a huge Islander fan all my life - living in T.O. - my wife and kids all have Tavares jerseys (still trying to figure out how to turn them into Trottier or Goring jerseys). I have always showed my unconditional love for the Isles. Wearing the jersey to Leaf games and to my shinny games, my kids & wife wearing Isles jersey to school on jersey days. I've always worn my Islander heart on my sleeve.

I can't begin to explain how painful it is having to deal with Leaf fans asking me how I felt about the signing and thinking I'm about to have a civil discussion. I always begin by saying I would have loved for us to sign Tavares and that him and the Calder Kid would make an awesome 1-2 punch. With Trotz /Lou on board I firmly believe they would have been a strong playoff contender in 2 years.

However, if having to choose to have Tavares/old management vs. no Tavares/current management, I would chose the latter.

One thing is clear, the Leaf fans have no idea what kind of player they are getting in Tavares. I hear things like run and gun and two way player. I try to explain how many times he's disappeared when the team needed him the most. I explain the overtime errors, long shifts, shootout fiascos, drop passes to noone, weak one timers - things that drove me crazy but accepted because he did more good than bad. You should see their faces when I ask how many games they have watched Tavares play and I mention I have watched over 90% of his games with the Isles.

While a flawed #1C, he was our #1C. But top 5 in the league??? no way could I ever argue for that.

I will appreciate the good moments for sure but with the way he exited, he is now dead to me. The way it made me feel when I saw his picture post of him drooling on his Leaf pajamas made me sick to my stomach because I always thought him to be one of the most loyal and classiest players in the league and this childesh attempt at tugging at people's heart strings just made me sick. He will never have the satisfaction of being in the same truly special league as a Crosby/Ovechkin in terms of being the centerpiece carrying the franchise on their backs to Stanley Cup wins.

Thanks for sharing your story as I get to know more Isles fans here.

Hopefully a new friend @Instant who is an Isles fan will confirm I had my reservations about signing Traitor to a long term contract. If the Isles were going for it, I think living with 2-3 years of maybe his peak would have been acceptable. But are the Isles really that close to winning it all?

My feeling watching J Traitor(and really he deserves to be called this for what he did to you guys so I have no reservations calling pajama boy this) in the second half of last year he was on the decline.

So really Kyle Dubass saved the Isles from making a massive mistake. Look at Jonathan Toews and his decline. It started at 28 and he still hasn't found his game. I see J Traitor having 2 more productive years, and the rest will be a decline like Toews, Perry, Weber that all hit the wall at relatively the same age. It's a skating game now, and J Traitor never was fast to begin with.

I do understand the mixed feelings. I am really a Barzal fan, a Pulock fan from their prospects days. But I did get to know a lot of Isles fans last year. Great passionate mostly American hockey fans. You and I are Canadians I assume. It's in our blood. So whenever I converse with American hockey fans so passionate about the game. Nothing but respect from me.

What I am saying is having J Traitor jump ship may have been a blessing in disguise. There will come a day soon, trust me when people question his long contract. He will be another overpaid aging and slowing player. When you look at it, what are you losing? A 86 pt career high player with the defined weaknesses you already described in his game. He's not a top 5 Center in the game. This is ridiculous. He's maybe top 15.

It was time to exercise Snow, Weight, and now J traitor from the Isles losing era. Onto a new era of Lamoriello, Trotz, and Barzal. Just saying the latter 3 names feels better. This season may be some pain. I don't know. But I truly see this team on the verge on one more great draft from being one of the top young teams in the NHL. As long as Barzal and Pulock are here, may as well add Dobson and Wahlstrom to that. I will be looking on with interest. I will share more insights when they pop into my mind.

Cameraguy

Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for sharing your story as I get to know more Isles fans here.

Hopefully a new friend @Instant who is an Isles fan will confirm I had my reservations about signing Traitor to a long term contract. If the Isles were going for it, I think living with 2-3 years of maybe his peak would have been acceptable. But are the Isles really that close to winning it all?

My feeling watching J Traitor(and really he deserves to be called this for what he did to you guys so I have no reservations calling pajama boy this) in the second half of last year he was on the decline.

So really Kyle Dubass saved the Isles from making a massive mistake. Look at Jonathan Toews and his decline. It started at 28 and he still hasn't found his game. I see J Traitor having 2 more productive years, and the rest will be a decline like Toews, Perry, Weber that all hit the wall at relatively the same age. It's a skating game now, and J Traitor never was fast to begin with.

I do understand the mixed feelings. I am really a Barzal fan, a Pulock fan from their prospects days. But I did get to know a lot of Isles fans last year. Great passionate mostly American hockey fans. You and I are Canadians I assume. It's in our blood. So whenever I converse with American hockey fans so passionate about the game. Nothing but respect from me.

What I am saying is having J Traitor jump ship may have been a blessing in disguise. There will come a day soon, trust me when people question his long contract. He will be another overpaid aging and slowing player. When you look at it, what are you losing? A 86 pt career high player with the defined weaknesses you already described in his game. He's not a top 5 Center in the game. This is ridiculous. He's maybe top 15.

It was time to exercise Snow, Weight, and now J traitor from the Isles losing era. Onto a new era of Lamoriello, Trotz, and Barzal. Just saying the latter 3 names feels better. This season may be some pain. I don't know. But I truly see this team on the verge on one more great draft from being one of the top young teams in the NHL. As long as Barzal and Pulock are here, may as well add Dobson and Wahlstrom to that. I will be looking on with interest. I will share more insights when they pop into my mind.

The whole story about this is that we got nothing for him. I’m happy he’s gone. Problem is management were in denial, stupid, and no experience. Nine years he didn’t get us anywhere so guess what I’m trading you.
Look at what the Raptors did today they traded DeMar DeRozan to San Antonio for Kawhi Leonard, mind you he’s got one year left in his contract but it’s a huge gamble if he’s doesn’t stay.

Could you imagine Snow traded JT to Ottawa for Karlsson just for one year and convincing him to stick around for longer. I’ll take that chance.

Silent Cal

Apr 8, 2016
Of course people have ill-will.

He said he wanted to be like his “one team” uncle.

He asked not to be traded.

His tweet of the pajamas was a faux pas that suggests this wasn’t a new thought.

Simply put, we feel lied to by him and poorly represented by former management. The ill will is a right.

All I say is that it is up to those visiting this board to gauge the mood. Rationalizing the thoughts of a deserter as having valor is not going to win many points.

Understand that we are, in varying measures, hoping to never see Toronto win a Cup with him on the roster, hoping he collapses under the added pressure, or waiting for Matt Martin to show him the boards. He is not going to get good graces, anymore than Art Modell gets a parade in Cleveland.

He ****ed Islander Country, and there are two opinions on the matter in the eyes of many:

Apologists/Trolls
Fans of the Franchise

We reserve the right to verbally run through anyone who picks the wrong lot as much as any other fanbase.

Who's rationalizing his thoughts? I don't even know what they were, but so many of you who are blasting him seem to know for certain what he was thinking and what his motives were...so sure that he wanted to f*** this team. I don't think anyone feels he was valiant in what he did so I'm not sure where that's coming from. "Deserter" is reserved for :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: who betray their country or run from the field of battle in the real world, not some hockey player who chooses another team to play for...no matter how he went about doing it.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Who's rationalizing his thoughts? I don't even know what they were, but so many of you who are blasting him seem to know for certain what he was thinking and what his motives were...so sure that he wanted to **** this team. I don't think anyone feels he was valiant in what he did so I'm not sure where that's coming from. "Deserter" is reserved for ***** who betray their country or run from the field of battle in the real world, not some hockey player who chooses another team to play for...no matter how he went about doing it.

How long will you go on pretending you can't read between the lines. Your Schtick is old and tired.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Who's rationalizing his thoughts? I don't even know what they were, but so many of you who are blasting him seem to know for certain what he was thinking and what his motives were...so sure that he wanted to **** this team. I don't think anyone feels he was valiant in what he did so I'm not sure where that's coming from. "Deserter" is reserved for ***** who betray their country or run from the field of battle in the real world, not some hockey player who chooses another team to play for...no matter how he went about doing it.

Yes; he is a deserter.

He either lied about wanting to be a one-team player to the Islanders or lacks the stroke to air his apprehensions. Either could have been done.

Given the timeline, you simply cannot expect non-hostility from us.

A little honesty goes a long way. Had he done this before the TDL, he could have been groping Toronto without allowing his own missives to mislead so many people.

Again, look at the timeline, analyze the argument, and come to the conclusion that you’re not far from sitting down at the Kaaba with a nice, warm bacon sandwich.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
for the record I said at the time and maintain in this day that Tavares deliberately held his game back because he was afraid of making the playoffs with this team, so he would show up of course at the end of the season when the Islanders were out of the playoffs or if the Islanders were winning or losing by 3 or 4 goals he would try really hard and get his meaningless points, but when he was really needed in those months of January and February it seems he was practically ineffective, so who knows what kind of player the Leafs are going to get

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Eh just playing devils advocate here, but maybe Johnny Pajamas was being asked to do too much here, tried too hard and numbers suffered. In Toronto maybe he won’t have so much on his plate, per se, and can do his smaller role much better.

Reactions: bigtim1988

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Eh just playing devils advocate here, but maybe Johnny Pajamas was being asked to do too much here, tried too hard and numbers suffered. In Toronto maybe he won’t have so much on his plate, per se, and can do his smaller role much better.
Pajama Boy didn't look like he was trying too hard in the second half of last season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
for the record I said at the time and maintain in this day that Tavares deliberately held his game back because he was afraid of making the playoffs with this team, so he would show up of course at the end of the season when the Islanders were out of the playoffs or if the Islanders were winning or losing by 3 or 4 goals he would try really hard and get his meaningless points, but when he was really needed in those months of January and February it seems he was practically ineffective, so who knows what kind of player the Leafs are going to get

That's interesting, my observation was and I asked at the time in some threads, " is it me, but does Tavares look slower than usual"? He was having trouble keeping up 5 v 5. If it was not for his PP production, his stats would show a sharp decline. I even asked was he hurt? Guess we will see this upcoming season as the NHL's highest paid player at 16M.

One thing I will say, watching the Isles all year that I didn't know prior to watching them day in day out. While Tavares is a good player, I do think the franchise Center label does not fit him. He is a points producing Center that should get around 80 points. But he is not in the class of a Sid, Malkin, McDavid, Scheifele, Mackinnon, players capable of carrying their teams. Good Center but overrated considering how some view him. I also think the nothing to play with on the Island narrative is overplayed. I never knew how good Lee was until watching him. And obviously he had support from Barzal.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
In his chat yesterday, Staple mentioned that he thinks the Isles were truly surprised that Tavares left.

Think about that. We have just his public statements to go by. But Malkin had regular private conversations with him and his agent. Lou spoke with him regularly once he came aboard. And then Trotz. Yet they were surprised that he left.

Yeah, he was up front about things.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I've loved the Islanders since I started following sports. I loved them even when they sucked, which has been most of the time. When I was young, the players frequently played in charity softball games all around LI and you could walk right up to them. A lot of them lived in the same condo building near a LIRR stop. There was a feel of community, and although the Nassau Vet Col was a dump at the end, the players and fans knew there wasn't a better place to watch a game in the NHL in terms of fan noise and site lines. My favorite players weren't the stars but guys who appreciated the franchise and busted their ass every night. Peca, Park, Blake etc.

You can talk about Garth all you want, but the two players who really f'ed things up were Wang and Kate Murray. Wang's arena plan was great, but his idea that old Long Islanders who were already tired of the cost of living on LI (not to mention couldn't care less about the Islanders) would agree to finance a millionaire's dream was preposterous and a serious IQ red flag for the leader of a sports franchise. As for Murray, I can't blame her opposition to the arena since Wang should have financed it in the fashion of L and M. But if you watched her at those public meetings, it was clear she was not only concerned about her constituents but relished the limelight and power she suddenly attracted. Of course she lost the team and committed career suicide.

I believe the Brooklyn arena was the last straw for Tavares. Whenever he talked about returning he spoke of Long Island and not New York. When he said he loved Long Island I think he meant his house, the ocean, and not being in a big city because he's basically a bumblef***. I'm know he had his charity moments, but as someone who googles Islanders news every day, I rarely saw him photographed next to sick kids like Moulson, Okposo, and Matt Martin. I remember Jeff Blake during what turned out to be his last game for the Islanders saying it was hard to look around the Coliseum because it might be his last game. A lot of guys bought into the coliseum and actually loved being an Islander once they got here. But the team seems to have lost it's identity with the two arenas, and the core of the locker room (Martin, Moulson, Frans, Okposo etc. gone). So Tavares split. Speaking as someone with narcissist tendencies, even I'm shocked at not only the selfish manner of his negotiation strategy, not to mention our (Isles fans)failure to see through his act of robotic cliches and frequent half-ass efforts on the ice.

I'm not really concerned about losing him, his contract would have strangled us. But I feel like the make up of our team is unknown. And I'm not talking about only on the ice. The young guys have come into an odd situation with two arenas and know nothing about Long Island and the Coliseum. We seem to have lost a lot of the history that the players of the last ten years embraced. I'm hoping the return to the Coliseum shows the young players what it really is to be an Islander. Let's face it, watching an Islander game in Brooklyn is like watching a Three Stooges episode with Shemp. Many of you probably saw the recent photo shoot of Barzal modeling clothes and if you're like me thought, "I could see him wanting to be a Manhattan Ranger". We need Barzal, Beau, Pulock and all the young guys to want to be Islanders and we need to keep their interest over the next couple of years during this weird time in Brooklyn and let them see what it's like to play on the Island. We need them to turn into KO, Matt Martin, and Moulson when it comes to love being part of the team and loving the area. Sadly those guys don't have the skill of Tavares, but they'd all love to be back and fight through the next few years. We need to reestablish true Islander hockey.

So JT is in it for himself, or his girlfriend, or his parents, or who knows. He didn't want to be here so so we'll miss his highlight moments but won't miss his slow, plodding confused nights or his s*** shootout shot, or his lack of effort to come up with an interview that isn't riddled with effortless and safe cliches (although in fairness he may be dumb). And now that we know he was in it for himself, who cares?
I'm a little disappointed that I'm so consumed with contempt for him that I want to see him fail, but that's how I roll I guess. Tavares was really a blip on the screen and as it turns out, didn't make much of a difference on the team while he was here. A well above average player with great hands, top ten probably but too streaky to be legendary. I look at Barzal's skills and see something special. I see his fire and think he'll be a great captain if we get him to buy into the program and see through the whole Brooklyn thing

Even though I've suffered through bad times, I love the team., the uniforms, the horn, the "rough edged" fans. I get excited when I see the home ice on TV when the game starts . I've bought into the team warts and all and a single player can't change that. Islanders hockey goes on, there will be good times and s*** times. Another year, another ride like always.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In his chat yesterday, Staple mentioned that he thinks the Isles were truly surprised that Tavares left.

Think about that. We have just his public statements to go by. But Malkin had regular private conversations with him and his agent. Lou spoke with him regularly once he came aboard. And then Trotz. Yet they were surprised that he left.

Yeah, he was up front about things.

I can't imagine any of Lou, Trotz, Malkin being happy about how things transpired then. It's kind of like wining and dining a long term girlfriend, and the day you are to renew your commitment vowels, the girl is in another guy's car.

Not cool.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
In addition to throwing his jersey in the ice during warm ups, chanting FU JT and booing during video, I will be handing out oak tags with the following quotes. Oak tags will be put up against glass during warmups.

“I don’t really have any reason to leave and I think we have a great makeup and a team that can do something special this year,” Tavares told Newsday yesterday. “I’ve always expressed my love for playing for Long Island. It’s where I started; it’s all I know in the NHL. The opportunity they’ve given me, I would love to see it all the way through and win a Stanley Cup.
“It’s rare to see players stay in one place their whole career. There’s obviously still a lot of time, but Long Island is where I enjoy playing, I love being the captain there and they’ve treated me so well. The people, the fans have always been so good to me.”

And

Asked what his priority is in making a decision, Tavares said: “I want to stay on Long Island... I haven’t thought about being anywhere except with the Islanders.
You think they’ll do a video montage for him?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They should put up every public quote he gave about wanting to stay and all of his shootout failures.
I like that. Or, they could just take one of his incredibly slow shootout attempts and interject the quotes during his skate-in. You know, kind of as a metaphor for his long decision process.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Respect him for his transparency. He’s been with the organization for 1 year and was traded to them.

Pajama boy said multiple times throughout the season that he’d not against re-signing during the season and he could definitely see that happening.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
My fear is that there will be a tribute with music so loud the booing will be drowned out - not to mention a few thousand Leaf fans cheering too. My only hope is that LL is the vindictive guy
an ex Devil employee made him out to be when he stated Lou sat outside an elevator and laughed at Devil employees who were fired and carrying boxes out of the building. You have to figure Lou hates Tavares for wasting his time, hopefully he hates him as much as we do and wants to make his return as uncomfortable as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad