OT: All Purpose Tavares Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Depending on when a player made the NHL, a player can log a lot of miles on their body. Tavares made the NHL at 19. At 28 this upcoming season, he has already logged a lot of hard miles. I look at Toews and how he has fallen off, this is why it would not surprise me how quickly a player can fall off. If we look at Toews, he was terrific until he hit 28 and then a decline occurred where he has yet to get back to where he once was. This is why I am saying to Isles fans sometimes not winning on July 1, is a blessing in disguise.
You are the greatest Leaf fan of all time.

Reactions: Pi and Eat The Rich

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Isn't this the all purpose Tavares thread? None of my posts are off topic. I am an Islanders fan. So what's the problem? And none of my posts told anyone how they should feel.
You're like an antibiotic resistant infection. You keep getting PK'd but yet keep coming back. GTFO.

Reactions: Quicklime

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Just replying to this post since it’s on this page.

You simply do not have the right to try and “Leafsplain” feelings to us.

We have justification for our feelings.

Three choices:
Understand that you’re “preaching a bacon diet to Mohammed” and let us be, go troll elsewhere, or keep being a snotty ****tard about things.

Haha, that's class!!

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
We gotta move on, IDK if other people are trolling on this anymore but it is time to move on. If there are trolls, locking the thread would deter the issue.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone else get Toronto fans obsessively "liking" old Tavares posts? Toronto fans go into old Tavares posts and "like" anything about John staying with the Islanders or not wanting to go to Toronto.

I've gotten about 10 of these per week since July 1st, and they've shown no signs of slowing down.

uV8psUU.png

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Does anyone else get Toronto fans obsessively "liking" old Tavares posts? Toronto fans go into old Tavares posts and "like" anything about John staying with the Islanders or not wanting to go to Toronto.

I've gotten about 10 of these per week since July 1st, and they've shown no signs of slowing down.

uV8psUU.png

I’ve get a few a day. It’s how they are. Shows a lot about the group. Obviously not all are like that but it’s why the leafs fans have such a bad reputation on the boards. It’s not enough to be happy that you landed probably the best free agent since Chara went to Boston but you have to rub it in the teams face that he left. It is what it is. Let them do what they do and we do what we do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

uV8psUU.png

Lol, I see Toronto fans are obsessively stalking your posts now Code. Too much time on one's hand...

Really it is this. Judas finished 4th or 5th in the HF boards poll around christmas I believe, when he got off to a great start. It looked like he was going to smash his career highs when the poll was conducted.

As we know HF polls are reactionary of recent play. When J Traitor hit the snooze button in the second half of last season, that allowed a rookie Barzal to catch and pass him in points. It was obvious that rating was too high.

Now the Leafs are using the hate angle for calling Judas a top 15 Center rather than top 10. I guess a time stamp should be put on those likes. Because as we know 7 months ago does not reflect how Tavares has declined in his play since around Christmas.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Lol, I see Toronto fans are obsessively stalking your posts now Code. Too much time on one's hand...

Really it is this. Judas finished 4th or 5th in the HF boards poll around christmas I believe, when he got off to a great start. It looked like he was going to smash his career highs when the poll was conducted.

As we know HF polls are reactionary of recent play. When J Traitor hit the snooze button in the second half of last season, that allowed a rookie Barzal to catch and pass him in points. It was obvious that rating was too high.

Now the Leafs are using the hate angle for calling Judas a top 15 Center rather than top 10. I guess a time stamp should be put on those likes. Because as we know 7 months ago does not reflect how Tavares has declined in his play since around Christmas.

He's easily a top 8- 10 center, but to think we paid almost 13 million for that was ludicrous. We need to find a way to lock up Barzal because there's no way he's a one time flash in the pan, his skills are ridiculous and his competitive nature will ensure he never mails it in like sulky pajama boy did last year. I'm much more concerned about losing him than Tavares. I'd really like to keep him and Beau on the same line because I want them to establish themselves as the cornerstone of the team so they feel like this is their team.

It's time for Brock Nelson to step it up so we don't have to put Beau back at center.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's easily a top 8- 10 center, but to think we paid almost 13 million for that was ludicrous. We need to find a way to lock up Barzal because there's no way he's a one time flash in the pan, his skills are ridiculous and his competitive nature will ensure he never mails it in like sulky pajama boy did last year. I'm much more concerned about losing him than Tavares. I'd really like to keep him and Beau on the same line because I want them to establish themselves as the cornerstone of the team so they feel like this is their team.

It's time for Brock Nelson to step it up so we don't have to put Beau back at center.

For 15.9M or 11M for 7 years. Yes that is a lot of money when you look at the list below and how much more paid Judas is in comparison to other top centers. Whether you think he is top 8 or I think top 15. There are a lot of Centers that are better than Tavares right now. I agree, signing Nelson is the best thing for the Isles in addressing the Center position.

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Mackinnon
4. Scheifele
5. Malkin
6. Kopitar
7. Stamkos
8.Bergeron

For 8 to 15.
Backstrom
Kutnetsov
Getzlaf
Barkov
Seguin
Couturier
Draisaitl
Barzal
Eichel
Matthews

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’ve get a few a day. It’s how they are. Shows a lot about the group. Obviously not all are like that but it’s why the leafs fans have such a bad reputation on the boards. It’s not enough to be happy that you landed probably the best free agent since Chara went to Boston but you have to rub it in the teams face that he left. It is what it is. Let them do what they do and we do what we do.

Hi SI90. Take it as a badge of honour. Atleast you are on their radar. lol. It's something we share. Bizarre obsession when most here just want to talk hockey. We can laugh about it here. Cheers mate.

Reactions: SI90

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
For 15.9M or 11M for 7 years. Yes that is a lot of money when you look at the list below and how much more paid Judas is in comparison. Whether you think he is top 8 or I think top 15. There are a lot of Centers that are better than Tavares right now. I agree, signing Nelson is the best thing for the Isles in addressing the Center position.

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Mackinnon
4. Scheifele
5. Malkin
6. Kopitar
7. Stamkos
8.Bergeron

For 8 to 15.
Backstrom
Kutnetsov
Getzlaf
Barkov
Seguin
Couturier
Draisaitl
Barzal
Eichel
Matthews

I was talking about top 8 when he feels like playing and not during his slow periods. I'd agree all of those guys were probably better than him during second half of last season, if they weren't injured.

The one thing I noticed during the playoffs was how fast the league has become and how slow the
Islanders were, with JT being a big part of that problem. I usually only watch the Islanders during the season and it was shocking how fast other teams were. It was like watching a different sport. We were a fairly quick team the year we lost to Pitt in the playoffs but things have slowed down since. We need guys Barzal, Beau (c'mon Ho Sang get your stuff together) who can take it up the middle fast because I'm tired of our slow guys getting trapped in our end and trying low percentage passes that are picked off at center ice. I'm sure Greiss and Halak were sick of it too.

And Tavares isn't going to get any faster.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'll say it.

I don't think the Toronto fanbase is any worse than other fan bases -I believe most fan bases are pretty much the same (except maybe Philadelphia.) And I believe if we signed Tavares we would have been over there more than they've been over here. I would have been.

I don't dislike them, but since I'm hoping Tavares and their team bomb, I'm more than willing to see them as part of the carnage left on the side of the road after the melt down.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was talking about top 8 when he feels like playing and not during his slow periods. I'd agree all of those guys were probably better than him during second half of last season, if they weren't injured.

The one thing I noticed during the playoffs was how fast the league has become and how slow the Islanders were, with JT being a big part of that problem. I usually only watch the Islanders during the season
and it was shocking how fast other teams were. It was like watching a different sport. We were a fairly quick team the year we lost to Pitt in the playoffs but things have slowed down since. We need guys Barzal, Beau (c'mon Ho Sang get your stuff together) who can take it up the middle fast because I'm tired of our slow guys getting trapped in our end and trying low percentage passes that are picked off at center ice. I'm sure Greiss and Halak were sick of it too.

And Tavares isn't going to get any faster.

I agree. When Judas feels like playing or is one of his good streaks. I followed the Isles last year to watch Barzal. And what I can say, unlike other years. When I saw JT playing his best, I also witnessed what I learned Isles fans know. He can disappear for long periods of time. I have a feeling some are in for a rude awakening if they think he is a top 4 center as I have seen written, now he is not surrounded by trash comments where I reminded posters the Isles scored 9 less goals than the Leafs last season, and how many Centers have a 85 pt center, and a 40 goal winger playing with them?

You are 100% correct. The league is only getting faster, while JT is only going to get slower. And at 77M for 7 years. I think Lou and the Isles got lucky on this one. They are one great draft away from having one of the best young cores in the NHL. If you need a vet, you can sign one to a shorter and cheaper deal.

But yes, I agree, I mentioned more than a few times last year in Isles threads does Tavares seem slower than he ever was? It was perhaps the start of his decline. As Toews just started his slow decline after his 27 year old season. We will know more this season if JT picks up where he left off last 2nd half of last season. I really see 2, who maybe 3 good production years before his decline is inevitable. Post 30 years old.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I agree. When Judas feels like playing or is one of his good streaks. I followed the Isles last year to watch Barzal. And what I can say, unlike other years. When I saw JT playing his best, I also witnessed what I learned Isles fans know. He can disappear for long periods of time. I have a feeling some are in for a rude awakening if they think he is a top 4 center as I have seen written, now he is not surrounded by trash comments where I reminded posters the Isles scored 9 less goals than the Leafs last season, and how many Centers have a 85 pt center, and a 40 goal winger playing with them?

You are 100% correct. The league is only getting faster, while JT is only going to get slower. And at 77M for 7 years. I think Lou and the Isles got lucky on this one. They are one great draft away from having one of the best young cores in the NHL. If you need a vet, you can sign one to a shorter and cheaper deal.

But yes, I agree, I mentioned more than a few times last year in Isles threads does Tavares seem slower than he ever was? It was perhaps the start of his decline. As Toews just started his slow decline after his 27 year old season. We will know more this season if JT picks up where he left off last 2nd half of last season. I really see 2, who maybe 3 good production years before his decline is inevitable. Post 30 years old.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him get off to a fast start if the team does well. If the team doesn't start off quickly, I could see him collapsing like a house of cards. The pressure is on and as you saw during negotiations, he doesn't handle pressure well.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I'll say it.

I don't think the Toronto fanbase is any worse than other fan bases -I believe most fan bases are pretty much the same (except maybe Philadelphia.) And I believe if we signed Tavares we would have been over there more than they've been over here. I would have been.

I don't dislike them, but since I'm hoping Tavares and their team bomb, I'm more than willing to see them as part of the carnage left on the side of the road after the melt down.

They’re the same as every fanabase but the difference is they’re the biggest so of course that means they’re going to have th biggest amounts of obnoxious people. We have or share of them too just on a smaller scale.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
They’re the same as every fanabase but the difference is they’re the biggest so of course that means they’re going to have th biggest amounts of obnoxious people. We have or share of them too just on a smaller scale.

Agreed. I think the constant whining about their coming over here is emasculating us a a fan base. Make fun of them, their team, or their city, but the constant cries of "they're being mean to us" goes against the image, and actual portrayal of who we are and it's embarrassing. Not to mention it's just the reaction they want. It's just a few people here, but time to stop crying and grow a pair.

I'm not speaking of you directly. I'm not sure who the offenders are specifically.

Last edited:

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I'll be honest, I sat through and read every comment on this page. I can understand Islanders fans resentment and anger towards John Tavares and the Maple Leafs. But I have yet to see anyone here speak from an unbiased viewpoint.

Look at the facts for a change, you had an elite #1 overall, #1 legitimate franchise centre who was on an absolute sweetheart team friendly 5.5 million dollar deal from the ages of 21-27..which is absolutely unheard of anywhere in this league. Ask yourselves this question, what did NYI management do to surround Tavares with a contending caliber team?

At the end of the day JT is a professional athlete, he wants to win, and he also wants to get paid too. He gave the Islanders nearly a decade of his services for less than half of what he deserved $$ wise with little to no help on the ice. He honoured his initial contract and played to its end, it was his every right to explore free agency and go where he wanted to.

I'm not trying to lecture Islanders fans here, I'm just asking you to see things from another perspective.

A leafs fan with an unbiased view....lol

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Agreed. I think the constant whining about their coming over here is emasculating us a a fan base. Make fun of them, their team, or their city, but the constant cries of "they're being mean to us" goes against the image, and actual portrayal of who we are and it's embarrassing. Not to mention it's just the reaction they want. It's just a few people here, but time to stop crying and grow a pair.

I'm not speaking of you directly. I'm not sure who the offenders are specifically.

I want to be able to discuss the Isles and not be bothered by these idiot trolls. This place should be a safe haven for us diehards because we care enough to devote our time to discussing the team here. If I wanted to go to war, I would go over to the main boards with guns hot.

Report them and let the mods zap them like gnats that they are. Ask for a thread ban if it's an obvious troll. I have zero issues with the mods being heavy handed in this case. Let them actually show self awareness and having a clue about what's going on instead of being tone deaf AF like that f***ing Judas and his minions. Go mods! And hurry up and promote @YearlyLottery. :thumbu:

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I want to be able to discuss the Isles and not be bothered by these idiot trolls. This place should be a safe haven for us diehards because we care enough to devote our time to discussing the team here. If I wanted to go to war, I would go over to the main boards with guns hot.

Report them and let the mods zap them like gnats that they are. Ask for a thread ban if it's an obvious troll. I have zero issues with the mods being heavy handed in this case. Let them actually show self awareness and having a clue about what's going on instead of being tone deaf AF like that ****ing Judas and his minions. Go mods! And hurry up and and promote @YearlyLottery. :thumbu:

I'd rather you somehow tricked them into a meeting and have you and your friends knock their azzes out.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'll say it.

I don't think you spend enough time on HFboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad