All Purpose PK Subban Discussion Thread Part 2

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
He had a questionable hit on MacKinnon in the playoffs last year. It wasn't anything to warrant still doing it, in fact I don't think it was a penalty at the time, but it's why they're doing it. I asked my friend in Denver (Preds fan) if Avs fans hate us and he said no, it seems like they just hate PK. Whatever works I guess.

Fair but seems like it happens in almost every arena. I'll need to watch again to be certain. Surely PK hasn't had a questionable hit on every team around the league.

Did you happen to ask if they do that to anyone else?

Reactions: Tex76

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
PK is an easy player to hate if he isn't on your team.
I'm guessing it's similar to Crosby or Malkin, not a ton of people outside of Pittsburgh would root for them.

I think fan wise little of it has to do with race, but I think there are a few ( Mike Milbury ) where I think it plays a big part of it.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
PK is an easy player to hate if he isn't on your team.

That’s interesting because I never really paid much attention to him until he became a Pred. At least no more attention than any other opposing hockey player.

***Other than Suter.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Fair but seems like it happens in almost every arena. I'll need to watch again to be certain. Surely PK hasn't had a questionable hit on every team around the league.

Did you happen to ask if they do that to anyone else?
That's the thing, right? Eventually some fans can point to something, when pressed. Like nobody has ever hit one of their players before. Pittsburgh points to a slew foot or something years ago. I don't know what other teams point to. Maybe he was more of a fiend for the Habs than he has ever been for the Preds. But it seems like half the arenas in the league boo him. I can't remember him doing that much... and other players make questionable hits or do things and I also don't remember other players who get booed every time they touch the puck regardless of that. Usually it's more if a player left your team and you feel dissed that a player gets that kind of booing. Subban does get a "special" kind of hatred, unfortunately.

Frankly, I'd like to see him embrace that villainy a little bit more, if he was going to get booed for it like that. Go full Chelios/Pronger on guys. He was almost getting there a little bit at first and in the playoff run two years ago. But it pretty much evapourated. Maybe he has just been hurt too much lately. I don't know if he ever got fully into that role in Montreal, but it didn't seem like he had much of a reputation that way. :dunno: We could use some nastiness back there, and I would be happy with the boos if he was really being nasty. But it doesn't seem to me like he is. :dunno:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't think it's his nastiness, think it's more of his unsportsmanship stuff, like whinning and diving. That's mostly what I hear about anyway. And truthfully it is one of the hangups I have on him.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't think it's his nastiness, think it's more of his unsportsmanship stuff, like whinning and diving. That's mostly what I hear about anyway. And truthfully it is one of the hangups I have on him.
I get that but we had James Neal who was (maybe still is) one of the most notable divers in the league but I don't recall fans booing him constantly. There's just some strange polarizing combination of things surrounding PK that make people want to love him or hate him. It always seems like people have to have an opinion about him one way or the other.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I get that but we had James Neal who was (maybe still is) one of the most notable divers in the league but I don't recall fans booing him constantly. There's just some strange polarizing combination of things surrounding PK that make people want to love him or hate him. It always seems like people have to have an opinion about him one way or the other.

I agree. Weber famously smashed Zetterberg's head into the boards (something much worse than anything Subban has done for us) but I don't remember him getting booed in Detroit in the seasons afterwards.

Reactions: Tex76 and Drake744

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

When PK first came into the league his diving was embarrassing. As a Habs fan it was hard to watch and he got boo’d in a lot of arena’s. Those days are mostly past him I think, although the Listerine stuff a few years back was pretty cringey.

I’ve wondered myself if the booing is race driven and maybe it is. Other black players don’t get booed like he does so I’m not sure what to make of it. He sure isn’t enough of a villian to warrant the reaction he gets, he has earned to boos in places like Boston but if they are booing him in Florida or Minny thats flat out strange.

Reactions: Drake744

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'm sorry My Master
I would be sorry too if I were posting such inane drivel while simultaneously incapable of mastering the most basic principles of expressing oneself via the written word.

PK is a hell of a d-man but claiming that he is "the best all around D" flies in the face of basic stats, advanced stats, and any objective eye test.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I would be sorry too if I were posting such inane drivel while simultaneously incapable of mastering the most basic principles of expressing oneself via the written word.

PK is a hell of a d-man but claiming that he is "the best all around D" flies in the face of basic stats, advanced stats, and any objective eye test.

Welcome to the internet.

And go ahead im waiting your adv stats to prove me wrong. Ill be waiting.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Welcome to the internet.

And go ahead im waiting your adv stats to prove me wrong. Ill be waiting.

He isn't at the top of d-men when looking at any stat. Karlsson and Burns top him routinely when it comes to Corsi and Fenwick. Suter bests him routinely when it comes to PDO. PK doesn't have the most points among blueliners on the Preds, nevermind across the league.

Facts don't support your claims. Period.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
giphy.gif

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
In my opinion it’s likely a combo:

1) There are people who dislike the flash. Its odd for hockey and you’re always going to have the get off my lawn crowd.

2) Racism is real. Combine this with #1 and you’ve got a recipe that doesn’t exist for other black players.

3) Clueless people will boo because 1 & 2 are booing and it’s fun!

4) He may have hit someone on your team that one time, just like many others, so now the #3 group for some teams is no longer clueless as they have a reason.

I’m sure there are other reasons I’m overlooking. The whole thing truly fascinates me because he hasn’t always been a Pred and I don’t remember having any reason to boo him when he played in Montreal.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
this type of thing drives me nuts. no wonder so many people hate the guy because of the way so many of his supporters worship him.

This is a big part of it. After the trade the Habs forum was unbearable ( which tbh is par for the course). If you didn’t follow hockey you would have thought we traded the best player in the game for a minor leaguer. Lots of guys like me pushed back.

I’ve come full circle and really appreciate his game now. I try and catch 5-10 Preds games a year mostly to watch PK. IMO he is a better player now then when he won the Norris and irony for me is he is much closer a player to the guy he was traded for now, then when the trade happened. And the guy we got has been amazing as well. Both are top 10 dmen.

Last post, will leave you guys alone now!

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This is a big part of it. After the trade the Habs forum was unbearable ( which tbh is par for the course). If you didn’t follow hockey you would have thought we traded the best player in the game for a minor leaguer. Lots of guys like me pushed back.

I’ve come full circle and really appreciate his game now. I try and catch 5-10 Preds games a year mostly to watch PK. IMO he is a better player now then when he won the Norris and irony for me is he is much closer a player to the guy he was traded for now, then when the trade happened. And the guy we got has been amazing as well. Both are top 10 dmen.

Last post, will leave you guys alone now!

That just makes me pissed that Weber or Suter never won one if that statement is anything close to accurate.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
That just makes me pissed that Weber or Suter never won one if that statement is anything close to accurate.

Ok I swear last post...

His overall game is much better. The year he won the Norris he wasn’t killing penalties and played almost 60 percent ozone starts. He was awesome but my version of a dman plays d, and he does that today, very effectively. If Weber or Suter played the same minutes PK did his Norris year, and PK played their minutes, PK doesn’t have that trophy. Suter only missed by one vote playing in what used to be a B market playing way tougher minutes with worse forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad