All Purpose PK Subban Discussion Thread Part 2

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Interesting that PK was essentially put on island in MTL, and here on this board, he gets his own island too.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
It was dumb of the reporters to keep asking Gallagher about Subban.

It was dumb of Gallagher for playing into their hands. He could have just said he wasn't talking about PK, but no, he had to try make it about PK, but instead made it about Gallagher.

But regarding what Gallagher said:
What exactly is PK supposed to do? Seemingly every media person in Toronto and Montreal swarm him when he sets foot in Canada and shove microphones and cameras in his face. They clamour for an interview or soundbite. If he refuses the interviews, he's too good for the media or he's a diva. If he does the interviews he's an attention seeker.

It's not PK's fault that the second the puck was dropped the entire arena was chanting a visiting players name.

It's not PK's fault that his teammates chose to let him skate a lap by himself so the fans could cheer him.

I guess he could have gone to the children's hospital by himself, like he did when he played for Montreal. But then if cameras followed just him, then it's all about PK. Sorry he has teammates that support him and things he does.

And to the reporter that threw in the jab on the celebration thing: Was he the only player that played like shit that was celebrating? No? Then shut the hell up. Quit pushing a stupid, false narrative. :shakehead

Tempfan99

Apr 16, 2017
Montreal
Holy **** does PK drive people absolutely crazy or what? Try reading the Hans board if you want to see what legit unhinged looks like. J.F.C
Yeah its pretty deep and i think it will last untill the end of his carrier. Lot of hockey fans either hate him because of his bubbly personnality or love him. In the public i'd say 60% of fans is pro-subban in mtl and in the media its probly 80% anti-subban. Hockey commentators and ''expert'' are pretty bad. Ull hear comments like ''pk might be more spectacular but 9/10 of the times it doesnt work.'' Or they will feed rumors like saying hes a cancer in the preds locker room or say hes the 4th defenceman in nashville, things like that. They just cant be objective. But people that love pk cant be objective either.

I pretty much stopped following the habs since the trade after watching them all my life. Started following every preds game since and also follow this board.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Yeah its pretty deep and i think it will last untill the end of his carrier. Lot of hockey fans either hate him because of his bubbly personnality or love him. In the public i'd say 60% of fans is pro-subban in mtl and in the media its probly 80% anti-subban. Hockey commentators and ''expert'' are pretty bad. Ull hear comments like ''pk might be more spectacular but 9/10 of the times it doesnt work.'' Or they will feed rumors like saying hes a cancer in the preds locker room or say hes the 4th defenceman in nashville, things like that. They just cant be objective. But people that love pk cant be objective either.

I pretty much stopped following the habs since the trade after watching them all my life. Started following every preds game since and also follow this board.
Well welcome aboard mate! We are happy to garner more fans and expand the Smashville city limits!

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He was good in Montreal. He was their best defenseman by the end. But I think he plays best as a 1A. His last year in Montreal Markov had started to decline and PK had a pretty bad season. I'm not sure about his advanced stats, which I don't follow, but he was forcing a lot of plays, stickhandling into the corner, turning pucks over - that kind of thing. And the Habs couldn't stop losing. His defensive game was very good - Therrien worked a lot on that side of his game and he became really good defensively. That became the best part of his game.

Watching him in Nashville it is a good fit for him because they have so much skill on the blueline that it's almost like they have 4 #1 top pairing defenseman. I think the situation in Montreal was not good for him - especially after the captaincy rift or whatever was going on. This season with both Patches and Subban gone the Habs can just play hockey and it's fun again.

Obviously Weber is the captain now in Montreal and it is a better fit it seems. I don't think they were going to make Subban captain here, just like Nashville didn't make him captain there, and when they made Weber captain it felt so good because it has been a long time since the Habs had a legit captain.

Who has been the Preds best dman this season? I heard on the main board that Ekholm has been stellar? I guess it's the luxury of having a top-4 that stacked is that different guys step up on different nights.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Who has been the Preds best dman this season? I heard on the main board that Ekholm has been stellar? I guess it's the luxury of having a top-4 that stacked is that different guys step up on different nights.
I would say in order when not injured:

Ekholm
Subban
Josi
Hamhuis
Ellis

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Ekholm
Subban
Josi
Hamhuis
Ellis
Ellis that low? Oh my goodness that's surprising. I've always really liked Josi's game - has the captaincy been weighing him down? I thought he was one of the best dmen in the league during the cup run.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Ekholm
Josi
Subban
Ellis
Hamhuis

for my view.
Yeah I originally thought about swapping Subban and Josi but I still kept Hamhuis over Ellis. Could be because I'm more impressed with what I've seen from Hammer as a 3rd pair role guy compared to my expectations from Ellis as a top 4. But it is what it is, the separations are small. Either way Ekholm is number one and I'd have to question anyone saying otherwise.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
For what I've seen, Josi has had some defensive mistakes, but is awesome offensively. I wish he and PK were paired. They could be a new Josi - Weber for how they'd compliment each other.

If I recall, they were paired at first. Remember a behind the scenes type video where PK was asking how they used to play certain situations with Shea. Whatever caused the separation, I wish they looked into it again.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Either way Ekholm is number one and I'd have to question anyone saying otherwise.

I agree that the differences are quite small. The only thing that keeps me from putting Ekholm number 1 is that he isn’t typically the one bringing the puck up the ice. He can score in the zone for sure but I think life is a bit easier on him than Josi or Subban. Can’t score if you don’t shoot. You also can’t turn the puck over if you don’t carry it.

Funny thing about looking at it like this is that I would have to move him to 3. That doesn’t work either. Can’t it just be 1.1.1.4???

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Ekholm
Subban
Josi
Hamhuis
Ellis
I'm not sure there has been any not-injured Subban this year, he has been so bad... but that said, regardless of injury:
1. Ekholm
2. Josi
3. Subban
4. Hamhuis
5. Ellis

My only hesitation on that list is whether I'm being a little too hard on Ellis or not... I know he SHOULD be #4 on the list, but I'd rather have Hamhuis on the ice in any defensive zone situation, and even on offense - esp. PP - I just find Ellis is not as effective as he should be given the opportunity he gets. Subban playing garbage and even the temptation to put Hamhuis ahead of him really should speak volumes about my disappointment with Ellis either way. It shouldn't have been difficult for him to be an easy #3 on this list.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
For what I've seen, Josi has had some defensive mistakes, but is awesome offensively. I wish he and PK were paired. They could be a new Josi - Weber for how they'd compliment each other.

If I recall, they were paired at first. Remember a behind the scenes type video where PK was asking how they used to play certain situations with Shea. Whatever caused the separation, I wish they looked into it again.
Redundancy is the word of the day. Josi and Subban are basically the same player and pairing the 2 was ineffective. They make thier teammates better and balance in the defense is needed moreso than one extremely skilled pair getting in each other’s way.
Ideally I would pair Josi with Tony 2 Bit/Weber and Subban with Hammer/Irwin and reconnect Ellis and Ekholm.
Josi makes his partner better and those two could improve by his leadership.
Subban is best playing high risk/high reward and having a partner that can cover when he makes a mistake is ideal.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i'm actually kind of surprised that we have moved subban down to 4th most minutes night after night and almost exactly near hamhuis toi. . maybe it's whatever the mystery injury is and we're trying to limit him. i expect when weber returns we will return to our 'normal' mix with hamhuis on the thrid pair and subban back to full time second pairing. honestly i am willing to see us mix and match the top two pairs some now. we moved subban to ekholm because we wanted puck movers on both top pairs. but as ekholm has really improved handling the puck i think we could at least try josi-subban, ekholm-ellis now. honestly many games we just haven't been as good a defensive team as we should be with all these horses.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
i'm actually kind of surprised that we have moved subban down to 4th most minutes night after night and almost exactly near hamhuis toi. . maybe it's whatever the mystery injury is and we're trying to limit him. i expect when weber returns we will return to our 'normal' mix with hamhuis on the thrid pair and subban back to full time second pairing. honestly i am willing to see us mix and match the top two pairs some now. we moved subban to ekholm because we wanted puck movers on both top pairs. but as ekholm has really improved handling the puck i think we could at least try josi-subban, ekholm-ellis now. honestly many games we just haven't been as good a defensive team as we should be with all these horses.
2 games, 2 bad plays that led directly to goals against though. For all the good he's done offensively, he's not good defensively right now.

Reactions: Pred303

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->