All Purpose PK Subban Discussion Thread Part 2

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It was dumb of the reporters to keep asking Gallagher about Subban.

It was dumb of Gallagher for playing into their hands. He could have just said he wasn't talking about PK, but no, he had to try make it about PK, but instead made it about Gallagher.

But regarding what Gallagher said:
What exactly is PK supposed to do? Seemingly every media person in Toronto and Montreal swarm him when he sets foot in Canada and shove microphones and cameras in his face. They clamour for an interview or soundbite. If he refuses the interviews, he's too good for the media or he's a diva. If he does the interviews he's an attention seeker.

It's not PK's fault that the second the puck was dropped the entire arena was chanting a visiting players name.

It's not PK's fault that his teammates chose to let him skate a lap by himself so the fans could cheer him.

I guess he could have gone to the children's hospital by himself, like he did when he played for Montreal. But then if cameras followed just him, then it's all about PK. Sorry he has teammates that support him and things he does.

And to the reporter that threw in the jab on the celebration thing: Was he the only player that played like **** that was celebrating? No? Then shut the hell up. Quit pushing a stupid, false narrative. :shakehead
Subban seeks out the camera. He has been a "Look At Me" players since midget. So when he f***s up its magnified ......same when he is great. Just so happens he has not been great lately.
Personally i would take the Subban of 010 to 014 over the Subban from 015-019. All day long.

He should lose some weight, quit eating so much and lean up.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Subban has been our best overall defensemen for the past three offseasons; since acquiring him we've gone to the Stanley Cup final, won two division titles and a presidents trophy. Yes that's not all because of him and we all want the bigger prize but Subban is far down the list of concerns, especially when your leading scorer is Rocco Grimaldi. His defensive numbers are some of the best on the team. His offensive output was down this year of course but the league worst PP will do that.

Anyone who rates Subban poorly because he 'promotes himself', whatever that means, holy bias.. I think the coaching staff knows much, much more about his intensity in training than we do. If he didn't train hard enough because he spent a few seconds tweeting I'm sure the coaching staff would put a stop to it.
Needs to cut down his eating.....not his tweeting

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yes, it also has to do with the media showboating he does (more than any player in the league). That can rub people the wrong way, and leaves him more open to criticism when he doesn't play well. Or, elbows to MacKinnon's head can rub Avs fans the wrong way. It's a culmination of everything.

I have seen very few, if any, Preds fans "hate" PK. I personally expect more of him. He's the NHL highest paid defenseman and playing no where like it. He's only 30 years old and in serious physical decline. That should not be happening, and that's on him. Disappointment, not hate.
Well said.

But his fan club will say you hate him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The same article argues that Ellis and Josi had terrible series:

In the regular season, the Predators gave up 8.59 high danger chances per game but surrendered 10.83 per game in the playoffs. Roman Josi and Ryan Ellis were the biggest culprits in this regard. They were on the ice for 28 of Dallas’ total 65, that’s unacceptable from your “top unit”.
Josi and Ellis had terrible series, they faced the second line for the majority of the series. No disrespect to Roope Hintz and Jamie Benn, but I’d much rather face them than Tyler Seguin and Alex Radulov, who were both held to almost nothing when Subban and Ekholm were on the ice. Josi and Ellis were both held to sub 50% on ice numbers despite starting 59.49% of shifts in the offensive zone. Ellis might as well played in the defensive zone without a stick because he couldn’t exit the zone to save his life, meanwhile, Josi barely exited the zone 60% of the time, and that’s including dump outs.
Do you really think your third pair is gonna be on the ice for the most goals against.

How was Subbans plus minus compared to the other D. You never mentioned that? I dont know what it is but from your post Im betting Subban was not leading the D in that stat. Or you surely would have added it.

Hope you like him, cause for 9 mill a year ....he aint leaving .

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Whenever I hear people spout out this criticism, I just shake my head. Just my opinion here, but that is a YOU problem, not a Subban problem.

So if, just as an example, Forsberg and Subban both completely stink up a playoff series, Subban deserves more criticism because he has an outgoing personality and "showboats"?? That is ridiculous.

Heaven forbid anyone has a personality in hockey.

In the world of sports, only in the NHL is that even remotely an issue.

Anyone who thinks his performance is affected by his "showboating"? Well, agree to disagree on that. I bet you any amount of money there isn't a player on the Preds roster who trains any more than he does.

Again, just my opinion and I am only speaking for myself, but we need more PK's in the NHL, not less.

But, we have beaten this horse to death so many times there is no need in further discussing it. People have their minds made up on him and that's just the way its always going to be.
Subban and Forsberg stunk. Yep. Subban does not get more criticism ....he gets LOUDER criticism . Why? because he is louder.

Subban fan club like to pretend they dont get the razzing that cocky athletes get.

Subban loves it all. He would not have it any other way.

The Subba-nator fan club will hear some more. PK looks like he is lumbering around out there .

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
More putting words in mouth. No where was it said "a sports player should only ever think about playing their sport".

There have been plenty of professional athletes to get side tracked for various reasons, including but not limited to the press.

I have never seen an active hockey player devote more time and energy to PR, the press , and "his brand" than PK. Sean Avery is the closest one I can think of, and some NFL WRs.

It is possible for him to to balance the line. He obviously didn't do it well enough in Montreal.

I'm sure the PK club will think he's balancing the line fine, there's certainly no convincing them otherwise.

I think his play has been declining enough to question if he's putting in all the effort possible to maintain being an elite dman in the league. I want more out of him, a lot more. He's the NHLs highest paid dman.
Well said.

But he wants to be a celebrity. He just aint got it.

Guys like Crosby, MacKinnon, Price, McDavid, are not even trying and are getting way more offers for TV face time.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When you say this kind of stuff

it's hard to believe that you're okay with a guy not being all hockey all the time. Ekholm posted a picture of him on a beach and calling it a "much needed break" with a plug for his wife's podcast. Is that not focused enough? Who seriously cares what PK does with down time?

And yes. I'm sure PK wakes up every day in 2019 immediately thinking about what he can do to get in the kitchen of a player in a different conference that beat him in a series two years ago. This **** is so stupid.
Preds management put any more gag orders on him lately?

Did he ever get that Listerine commercial he was so obviously begging for? :laugh:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Please tell me what NHL player devotes more time to PR and "his brand" than PK.

Yes, I absolutely think what a professional player does outside the rink affects his play at the rink. As with everything in life, it's a balance.

PK is playing the worst hockey of his career. I certainly hope he's examining what he can do on and off the ice to fix it.
He wants Don Cherrys job one day.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Maybe it's because I'm super American and love football as much as hockey, but I REALLY don't understand why people from Canada make SUCH a big deal about Subban's off-ice stuff. It must be so GD boring up there. He would be lauded as conservative in the NBA or maybe even the NFL in terms of building his brand and his "antics" that aren't really antics. It blows my mind how much rent he has in people's head. It makes me love PK more for it. Call it "defending" him if you want, but non-issues don't need to be defended. Let the man live his life; he's earned it and causes 0 harm to anyone.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Maybe it's because I'm super American and love football as much as hockey, but I REALLY don't understand why people from Canada make SUCH a big deal about Subban's off-ice stuff. It must be so GD boring up there. He would be lauded as conservative in the NBA or maybe even the NFL in terms of building his brand and his "antics" that aren't really antics. It blows my mind how much rent he has in people's head. It makes me love PK more for it. Call it "defending" him if you want, but non-issues don't need to be defended. Let the man live his life; he's earned it and causes 0 harm to anyone.

Apparently it has also infected some in Nashville.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Apparently it has also infected some in Nashville.
Mustard's post was excellent. I don't think the infection pays attention to geography. It's present in a certain segment of population just about everywhere. Somebody could make some Venn diagrams that show some interesting stuff there. Nationality and geography wouldn't make the biggest intersection set I bet.

Reactions: LCPreds

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I've been a Subban fan since he was in Belleville. You all are spot on about him bulking up and losing his acceleration, he used to fly.

He's also not quite able to shake the character judgements on him. The one time I met him he seemed like a super hyper but ultimately really nice guy.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
That reference to NBCSN is spot on. I have friends who do the same thing. Anyone who watched this team in the playoffs and thinks Subban is the problem needs to go watch again imo.

With that said, if I’m Poile then everyone is on the block if the price is right.
I agree about everyone being on the block but subban shouldn't be the first defenseman to go. Poile is gonna look really dumb if he dumps subban and he shows out and wins the Norris on his new team. Which is very likely he'll bounce back to Norris form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad