Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm gonna say it: Garret Wilson has been quite good for the Pens this year and gets too much hate because of his reputation as a useless grinder. He's been played in tough situations and still been a positive impact on the ice. I have no great desire to push him out of the lineup unless it's necessary.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm gonna say it: Garret Wilson has been quite good for the Pens this year and gets too much hate because of his reputation as a useless grinder. He's been played in tough situations and still been a positive impact on the ice. I have no great desire to push him out of the lineup unless it's necessary.

Thing with him is he's supposedly this menacing hitter that'll stick up for his teammates.
I haven't seen uh much of that.
I'd prefer to take a Blandisi or Haggerty for a spin at this very moment simply because theres a much higher likelihood that they produce 5on5 vs Wilson.
But i get it, they consider him a safe role player that'll try to throw his weight around that can PK in their minds.

Reactions: EightyOne

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Well, we have some significant injuries but that can sometimes be a rallying cry. It can also simplify things for the D, an adjustment that could be just what the doctor ordered.

We also get to have a longer look at some of our prospects. We also have Sid MF Crosby on our team. Geno is starting to show signs of life. Get Horny and Kessel going and we are cooking with gas.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People on here were complaining about Pearson and wanted him traded, now he's gone, people don't want him to have been traded? wut

Its a big community. Vocal complaining doesn't mean there's not a bunch of people who disagree but who aren't saying much. I'm not super bothered, but I thought there was enough in Pearson to make it worth keep trying unless something good came up... and Gudbranson doesn't look to be that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not gonna lie. The idea of Pettersson and Gudbranson as a duo excites me. Johnson is pure filth on both sides. At least Guds is a freak of nature and does punish the f*** out of players and it allows Pettersson to really show us what else he can do offensively while Tanger is out. It won't be much but it's something, to support Schultz.

Speaking of...what did he do to deserve JJ as his partner?

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
People on here were complaining about Pearson and wanted him traded, now he's gone, people don't want him to have been traded? wut
Probably thought we could get more, have to remember what we got him for as well. I get it with Guds. Dude is not good, at least with his time in Vancouver. But there was a time in Florida where he was fantastic. I'm coming around to hoping he can be that again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Its a big community. Vocal complaining doesn't mean there's not a bunch of people who disagree but who aren't saying much. I'm not super bothered, but I thought there was enough in Pearson to make it worth keep trying unless something good came up... and Gudbranson doesn't look to be that.

I think the real frustrating part about Gudbranson is we could have given a first up for Jensen and had a solid bottom pairing D for a couple years at below 3 mil that if Schultz walks could hopefully at least fill that role slightly.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Probably thought we could get more, have to remember what we got him for as well. I get it with Guds. Dude is not good, at least with his time in Vancouver. But there was a time in Florida where he was fantastic. I'm coming around to hoping he can be that again.

He was never fantastic in Florida. He was a young player with potential. Issue is his skill set is everything the NHL is moving away from.

I dunno. I don’t hate the player, I hate contract just like JJ.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
He's largely useless IMO and just seems to be part of this era of unskilled players that the penguins for some reason employ. He's exactly what we do not need.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the real frustrating part about Gudbranson is we could have given a first up for Jensen and had a solid bottom pairing D for a couple years at below 3 mil that if Schultz walks could hopefully at least fill that role slightly.

For you maybe - I'm not big on giving up the 1st for a bottom pairing guy when we've got major surgery coming up this summer. Much as I do covet more puck moving.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Thing with him is he's supposedly this menacing hitter that'll stick up for his teammates.
I'd prefer to take a Blandisi or Haggerty for a spin at this very moment simply because theres a much higher likelihood that they produce 5on5 vs Wilson.
But i get it, they consider him a safe role player that'll try to throw his weight around that can PK in their minds.

He's largely useless IMO and just seems to be part of this era of unskilled players that the penguins for some reason employ. He's exactly what we do not need.
In theory sure, but he has had sparkling underlying numbers for us. I think we've been (I certainly have been) biased against him because he does seem to represent the crap we don't want in the lineup and he's been in over Blueger and Sprong before him. But he's given us everything we could ask for from a 13th forward. He's not Tanner Glass.

He's been getting insanely tough defensive starts, and played with Cullen who's been a major possession drain all year. And yet he's had superb results. He's not the problem.

The two guys who have been very effective and getting no credit for us this year are Wilson and Ruhwedel. If those guys were our 12F and 6D we'd be perfectly fine, let alone if they're in the press box ready to go.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
they said the same thing about reaves. but we never saw it with him either. I have to think its the coach not letting them play that way. and that means we won't see much of it with gud.

Reactions: Andy99

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Can someone refresh me on the post-TDL roster rules. I'm thinking there's no limit on roster size but the cap still counts, and you only get 4 recalls. Is that right or am I misremembering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad