Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Jason Mackey's Penguins chat transcript: 02.28.19

Some stuff that I recall from Mackey's chat (full transcript above):

• The Pens really, really like McCann. He was likely the centerpiece of the Florida trade.
  • He's unsure of who will be the 3C going forward between Bjugstad and McCann.
  • The Pens absolutely have to move a defenseman out this summer. And who that is comes down to Maatta's health and how everyone else performs. As in, JR doesn't already have an "out" for Gudbranson.
  • He thinks Riikola-Schultz made a good pairing.
  • Not sure why he'd admit this in the city of Pittsburgh, but he doesn't care if the Penguins win. :laugh:
  • He heard that the Pens tried to get Hagelin back and then alluded to other teams not knowing about that salary retention rule.
  • He also doesn't think that Pearson could've been flipped for just a draft pick.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Jason Mackey's Penguins chat transcript: 02.28.19

Some stuff that I recall from Mackey's chat (full transcript above):

• The Pens really, really like McCann. He was likely the centerpiece of the Florida trade.
  • He's unsure of who will be the 3C going forward between Bjugstad and McCann.
  • The Pens absolutely have to move a defenseman out this summer. And who that is comes down to Maatta's health and how everyone else performs. As in, JR doesn't already have an "out" for Gudbranson.
  • He thinks Riikola-Schultz made a good pairing.
  • Not sure why he'd admit this in the city of Pittsburgh, but he doesn't care if the Penguins win. :laugh:
  • He heard that the Pens tried to get Hagelin back and then alluded to other teams not knowing about that salary retention rule.

Move a defenseman out? John-son John-son John-son

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Could be a good summer for trading a dman or two. Not a lot of half-legit top 4 UFAs and a lot of those are old as sin. Not a lot of rumours at the deadline indicating incipient movement - I'm sure Carolina will deal a RHD at some point, maybe Montreal deal Petry, Martinez probably leaves LA at some point... but that's about it. Doesn't bode well for trying to get an upgrade but can't have it all.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
How would you guys handle the goalies for tomorrow and Saturday?

Send Murray out for the much more important Canadians matchup? Or go for the win tomorrow night and then whatever happens Saturday happens?

Still have faith in DeSmith against either team. That’s why I’d lean towards saving Murray for Saturday at Montreal and let Casey start tomorrow at Buffalo.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
How would you guys handle the goalies for tomorrow and Saturday?

Send Murray out for the much more important Canadians matchup? Or go for the win tomorrow night and then whatever happens Saturday happens?

Still have faith in DeSmith against either team. That’s why I’d lean towards saving Murray for Saturday at Montreal and let Casey start tomorrow at Buffalo.

I would also start Murray against MTL but that’s not what Sully usually does...he usually plays MM on the first night of the b2b, I think so he doesn’t have a tired team in front of him...

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I would also start Murray against MTL but that’s not what Sully usually does...he usually plays MM on the first night of the b2b, I think so he doesn’t have a tired team in front of him...

Yeah, that’s how they usually handle it. Just seeing what others thought. I really hope if we had the same situation towards the end of the year that he wouldn’t handle it like that. But I guess it’s not close enough to change it.

Just get 2 tomorrow night for sure and then see what happens Saturday.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Letang and Dumo do not appear to be playing this weekend...they haven’t skated
No surprise really. Hopefully the players who are here accord themselves well and throughout the next few games we build some quality depth on the back end. You never want injuries, but this could work to our advantage IF our top guys come back relatively soon. In the mean time some of guys who haven't been used all that much get more ice time and maybe gain a bit of confidence.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

I know. I'm hoping he goes DeSmith tomorrow night. Points matter sure, but the MTL game is essentially a four point swing if the Pens win in regulation, right?. BUF is below us, who cares, blah blah blah.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
To be fair, I couldn't care less if the Pirates relocate either or if the Stillers are shot into the sun, so I sympathize with not really rooting for a team that you're supposed to love just because it's a Pittsburgh thang.

That said, Mackey sucks.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
To be fair, I couldn't care less if the Pirates relocate either or if the Stillers are shot into the sun, so I sympathize with not really rooting for a team that you're supposed to love just because it's a Pittsburgh thang.

That said, Mackey sucks.
I think it's a journalist thing. Rossi would say the same shit all the time (although in a much more pretentious way). "I'm a journalist, not a fan", etc. etc. If he's not from around here then it makes sense... if the only job I could get as a journlist was as the Patriots beat reporter, that's not gonna mean I care if they win or not. But still. Don't even mention that. Just do your job.

Edit: And speaking of lack of understanding of hockey, nothing will beat Malking and Neal having to explain what an F3 was to Rossi

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh, if I was a beat reporter, I'd be pretty invested in the team success that drove clicks and hits that justified my job, regardless of whether I actually liked the team.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

That said, Mackey sucks.

He tweeted yesterday that Potash has become an integral part of how we watch hockey in Pittsburgh, seemingly with the implication that that is not only true but a good thing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, he has in a way. Everybody makes fun of Potash, including the players. He's a walking meme.

As for good thing? I dunno. But our local specialty is a sandwich with fries and coleslaw on it, remember. Is it delicious? Yes. Is it good? Probably not. :laugh:

Reactions: td_ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->