Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | This wasn't what I meant by a balanced defense ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He was never fantastic in Florida. He was a young player with potential. Issue is his skill set is everything the NHL is moving away from.

I dunno. I don’t hate the player, I hate contract just like JJ.
f*** sakes man I'm trying.

Work with me.

giphy.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Who watched the penguins since at least the late 90's? I was laying around this morning thinking of hockey on tv, post the espn aves - wings era. After the meltdown of the penguins franchise, was the network FSN? And am I wrong to remember they only broadcast 50-60 games a year and would put on other sports game over penguins games when they were so bad?
Pre versus era, when VS was still OLN (ugh) until NBC got involved.

Main point, how many games did FSN or whatever network broadcast during the dark ages. I remember game nights when games were not broadcast I'm curious to remember better, if anyone from back in the days can refresh my memory plz.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who watched the penguins since at least the late 90's? I was laying around this morning thinking of hockey on tv, post the espn aves - wings era. After the meltdown of the penguins franchise, was the network FSN? And am I wrong to remember they only broadcast 50-60 games a year and would put on other sports game over penguins games when they were so bad?

Main point, how many games did FSN or whatever network broadcast during the dark ages. I remember game nights when games were not broadcast I'm curious to remember better, if anyone from back in the days can refresh my memory plz.
When we sucked it was mostly to air good teams vs us. To get a ratings boost.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
All the D are playing guessing that if someone hasn't been called up one of those guys is probably good to go? He is running with 6D and 2 injured guys as backup?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In theory sure, but he has had sparkling underlying numbers for us. I think we've been (I certainly have been) biased against him because he does seem to represent the crap we don't want in the lineup and he's been in over Blueger and Sprong before him. But he's given us everything we could ask for from a 13th forward. He's not Tanner Glass.

He's been getting insanely tough defensive starts, and played with Cullen who's been a major possession drain all year. And yet he's had superb results. He's not the problem.

The two guys who have been very effective and getting no credit for us this year are Wilson and Ruhwedel. If those guys were our 12F and 6D we'd be perfectly fine, let alone if they're in the press box ready to go.

Being pedantic, I don't think he was up at the same time as Sprong. But yes. He's got effective results and if he's our worst worry, we're in an okay spot.

That said - while you can see him bulling the puck from one end of the ice to the other - his hands really do take the edge off it at times. The moment his form dips or the adrenaline goes, he's going to be a pretty bad player to have in there. I think fear of that moment is where a lot of the criticism comes from.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Crazy how far hockey has come since late 90's. I guess sports in general, hence the million dollar salaries.
I remember beings a braves fan in the 90's because tbs broadcast all their games.

It was probably worse for Blackhaws fans though at the time. home games weren't televised unless they were playing on national tv. The Wirtz mentality was, come to the arena if you want to see them.

Reactions: shoplifter

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Can someone refresh me on the post-TDL roster rules. I'm thinking there's no limit on roster size but the cap still counts, and you only get 4 recalls. Is that right or am I misremembering?

16.4 Active Roster Size; Playing Roster.
(a) There shall be a maximum of twenty-three (23) Players on each Club's Active
Roster at any one time, provided, however, that, on the date of each season's Trade Deadline, a
Club's Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so
determines, subject to Article 50.

That's all I could find in the CBA early this morning.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
@Son Goku -- moving the DBZ convo over here

If Crosby is Goku, what is Geno? And does that mean Ovechkin is Vegeta?

Lemieux = Goku
Jagr = Vegeta
Francis = Piccolo
Crosby = Ultimate Gohan
Malkin = Future Trunks
Guentzel = Goten
Fleury = Krillin
Letang = Yamcha
Kunitz = Tien
Dupuis = Chiaotzu
Jay Caufield = Master Roshi
Bob Errey = Kami
Colby Armstrong = Dende

^ some random thoughts.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Lemieux = Goku
Jagr = Vegeta
Francis = Piccolo
Crosby = Ultimate Gohan
Malkin = Future Trunks
Guentzel = Goten
Fleury = Krillin
Letang = Yamcha
Kunitz = Tien
Dupuis = Chiaotzu
Bob Errey = Kami
Colby Armstrong = Dende

^ some random thoughts.

Then who is Shane Endicott?

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Lemieux = Goku
Jagr = Vegeta
Francis = Piccolo
Crosby = Ultimate Gohan
Malkin = Future Trunks
Guentzel = Goten
Fleury = Krillin
Letang = Yamcha
Kunitz = Tien
Dupuis = Chiaotzu
Bob Errey = Kami
Colby Armstrong = Dende

^ some random thoughts.
Wouldn't Beau Bennett be Krillin since Bennett was always hurt and Krillin always died?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m just trying to figure out which two players will be injured in the next game—I’m calling it for Schultz again since he’s our only PMD left and Geno because he wasn’t out enough games this year to equal his yearly average, and he likes to put himself in positions to be hit...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's hard to say, they're all so ripe for injury. Ugh Pens life, yo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Letang and Dumo do not appear to be playing this weekend...they haven’t skated

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Letang and Dumo do not appear to be playing this weekend...they haven’t skated

Perhaps it was just hoping on JR's part.
Letang, if things go well wouldn't need anything more than a morning pre-game skate.
Dumo will have to go thru the protocol stages.
Anywho wrong thread for this.

Arghhhhh this defense!

Reactions: Andy99

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Iirc they had some games broadcast on a local network im not sure which (wpn maybe). I dont ever remember not being able to find the game somewhere.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Who watched the penguins since at least the late 90's? I was laying around this morning thinking of hockey on tv, post the espn aves - wings era. After the meltdown of the penguins franchise, was the network FSN? And a m I wrong to remember they only broadcast 50-60 games a year and would put on other sports game over penguins games when they were so bad?

I had to watch the pens on the old uhf channel the game looked like they were playing in a snow storm and you could only make out shadows. talk about the dark ages.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Iirc they had some games broadcast on a local network im not sure which (wpn maybe). I dont ever remember not being able to find the game somewhere.

I go as far back as KBL and having the saturday night games on kdka. Think it would have been as early as '88 maybe. I get fuzzy on the era you're referencing. Maybe Fox Sports Pittsburgh.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad