Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We have someone by the name of Phil who maybe could revitalize his game playing with them ( but he also has to change his stick)...

Problem is he doesn't replace the guy I'd want replaced but if the dry streaks continue, might as well give it a shot. Although right now I reckon McCann or Bloogs would bring more shooting potential to that 3rd line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not really surprising that line can generate but not finish when you consider all three kind of have hands of stone. Bjugstad seems to have great moves and can get shots off, but has no accuracy, Hornqvist shoots like he's playing whack-a-mole at the county fair, and Simon has a muffin of a shot.

I don’t have a problem playing that line as a “shutdown” line but that requires a L2 that can share the scoring burden with L1 and so far we don’t have that...we should be trying when healthy...

Jake-Sid-Horny (sorry Sid)
Simon/McCann- G - Rust
Simon/McCann-Bjug-Kessel
Blueger-Cullen-ZAR

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Woo hoo!!

It's happening!!!

mo2lprh.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t have a problem playing that line as a “shutdown” line but that requires a L2 that can share the scoring burden with L1 and so far we don’t have that...we should be trying when healthy...

Jake-Sid-Horny (sorry Sid)
Simon/McCann- G - Rust
Simon/McCann-Bjug-Kessel
Blueger-Cullen-ZAR

I think with both McCann and Rust serving the same function, you don't need to have Horny on the line with Sid. Plus, I can't see Phil being at his best if he's sulking away from Geno.

I'd just go something like:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust/McCann
Rust/McCann - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Blueger - Cullen - ZAR/Wilson

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
TAKING ONE FOR THE TEAM

Six Penguins players rank among the top 10 in the NHL in most hits received this season.
1. Marcus Pettersson, Penguins 202
2. Nick Jensen, Capitals 198
3. Olli Maatta, Penguins 169
4. Brian Dumoulin, Penguins 166
5. Brandon Tanev, Jets 157
6. Rasmus Ristolainen, Sabres 156
7. Jack Johnson, Penguins 154
8. Jake Guentzel, Penguins 147
9. Patric Hornqvist, Penguins 147
10. Troy Stecher, Canucks 146

Source: naturalstattrick.com

Penguins call up forward prospect Adam Johnson | TribLIVE.com

But, but, but Gudbranson.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think with both McCann and Rust serving the same function, you don't need to have Horny on the line with Sid. Plus, I can't see Phil being at his best if he's sulking away from Geno.

I'd just go something like:

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust/McCann
Rust/McCann - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Blueger - Cullen - ZAR/Wilson

McCann, Crosby, Guentzel
Rust, Malkin, Kessel
Johnson, Bjugstad, Hornqvist
Cullen, Blueger, Zar

But for this next game...

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Johnson, McCann, Kessel
Simon, Bjugstad, Hornqvist
Cullen, Blueger, Wilson/Simon

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Been waiting to see Johnson up for awhile.

Was hoping he would be their next call up, because he has a lot of tools this team needs.

He’s pretty skilled and has wheels. Can PK, but not as deft defensively as TB.

My only question isn’t his talent, because again he’s fun to watch and pretty skilled, it’s if he is strong enough to play in the NHL.

He’s definitely stronger than last season, but we shall see.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
He’s too legendary to coach. He should either own a team or manage if he wants to stay in hockey.
When Mario sells his controlling share of the team, maybe it will be to an ownership group featuring Sid, Geno, and.... Kunitz!

:naughty:

ETA: I was going to include MAF but I didn't want to give ragamuffin a 4+ hour you know what.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
At least we get a chance to see if another prospect can get hot at the right moment...who knows. Adrenaline alone could make him have an impact. More skilled than both Wilson and Blandisi.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My guess is Olli is about ready to go and Riikola is the odd man out.

Moved it over here.

If Maatta is no longer injured we had to send another guy down due to roster size and can’t be a forward since we only have 12 healthy.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Was hoping he would be their next call up, because he has a lot of tools this team needs.

My only question isn’t his talent, because again he’s fun to watch and pretty skilled, it’s if he is strong enough to play in the NHL.

Would've preferred DiPauli

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Would've preferred DiPauli

I’ve not given up on DPaul, but he just can’t stay healthy. But I’m starting to lean towards the idea he’s going to wash out if he can’t be more durable.

Johnson is just as fast and more skilled though, so I’m pretty happy to see him up. Was going to say DPaul is stronger, but if he can’t stay healthy in the A... I dunno..

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Can’t be any worse than Blandisi.

I also like how they are bringing these guys up during this time of the year. The doldrums of November and December aren’t probably a good place for a young player on this squad. When they start dialing up like they have the last couple games you see how professional some of our players are.

Reactions: Peat

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I'm worried about the offense. It seems like unless the Crosby line is lighting it up for 3 goals in a game, the Pens are going to score 1 or less.

It would be a help if Kessel actually was a threat to score. It's crazy how ineffective the guy's been at ES.

I don’t think it’s crazy. I think it’s a testament to just how bad Phil has been this year. Dude has truly lost it quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad