Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I think Sid could be the exception to that rule, especially if he stays with his team, knowing so much and having all these local contacts down the wire.

I mean, it could help him use his higher intellect do the job. Who wouldn't want to play for him to start with?
GM seems a better fit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So if he’s playing, who’s sitting between JJ and Petts? ...better be JJ...

There is about a 0.0% chance they bench Johnson, especially after how well he has played on his natural side.

My guess is that they experiment with Pettersson or Maatta on RD and run with those two as the bottom pair. Keep the top-4 together and let Maatta, Pettersson and Gudbranson battle it out for the bottom pair. Considering how well Gudbranson has played, it's a good thing to have those 3 guys competing for a roster spot. I could also see the Penguins running with 11 forwards and 7 D, I wouldn't mind that decision.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
What does Kessel have to do to be removed from PP1, score an own goal? Not that I expect them to do much even if he is removed, since Geno is out, but still.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
GM seems a better fit.
Well, if you think he'd be too close for the team yeah, but his hockey I.Q. + contacts would be befitting GM though and what player wouldn't want to gel with him as a coach if being close to players would actually be a strong positive incentive in this case? I see him as coach for a couple then GM hands down.

Reactions: Cellee

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There is about a 0.0% chance they bench Johnson, especially after how well he has played on his natural side.

My guess is that they experiment with Pettersson or Maatta on RD and run with those two as the bottom pair. Keep the top-4 together and let Maatta, Pettersson and Gudbranson battle it out for the bottom pair. Considering how well Gudbranson has played, it's a good thing to have those 3 guys competing for a roster spot. I could also see the Penguins running with 11 forwards and 7 D, I wouldn't mind that decision.

I have to disagree pretty strongly about Johnson playing well. He had a big rally initially but he's making more and more mistakes, his line is getting hemmed in more often, and his lack of attacking prowess is becoming more and more stark.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I have to disagree pretty strongly about Johnson playing well. He had a big rally initially but he's making more and more mistakes, his line is getting hemmed in more often, and his lack of attacking prowess is becoming more and more stark.

There is also a major gap between being one of the worst defensemen in the league (stats + eye test) and "playing well". He did a good job of almost playing at an average level (net neutral) for a period of time, but at no time was he a net positive for the team. His offensive contribution is still somewhere between boat anchor and abandoned vehicle.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm guessing you're basing this on his corsi? He was getting caved in terms of possession when he was playing excellent about a week or 2 ago. Hell, even his possession stats over the last 3 games have been fine and he has only been on the ice for 1 goal against.

Johnson was playing really well as recently as the Buffalo game, which was the last game I watched closely. I'm willing to bet the "Johnson isn't playing well" argument is mostly coming from the fact that the Penguins have lost 3 games in a row and Johnson was bad in their last game (even with that shot block in OT). If you want to be pointing fingers at any defenseman who isn't playing well right now, it should be Schultz.

Last edited:
Reactions: 71Malkin71

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm guessing you're basing this on his corsi? He was getting caved in terms of possession when he was playing excellent about a week or 2 ago. Hell, even his possession stats over the last 3 games have been fine and he has only been on the ice for 1 goal against.

Johnson was playing really well as recently as the Buffalo game, which was the last game I watched closely. I'm willing to bet the "Johnson isn't playing well" argument is mostly coming from the fact that the Penguins have lost 3 games in a row and Johnson was bad in their last game (even with that shot block in OT). If you want to be pointing fingers at any defenseman who isn't playing well right now, it should be Schultz.

Started looking based on other people's comments and the stats, fully believe in it based on eyetest. Haven't even looked at the last few games' stats on him specifically.

I think the simplest answer here is you seem to like what he's doing more than 99% of the forum at pretty much all times :P

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, MP most likely comes out.

That said, I'm not sure how impressed you'll be with Maatta-Gunbranson either.

Should be JJ...he’s been trending down the last couple weeks and is dragging Schultz with him...that second pair has to be better

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yes, MP most likely comes out.

That said, I'm not sure how impressed you'll be with Maatta-Gunbranson either.
I'm not overly impressed with OM either. I just don't know if there will be an appreciable difference one way or another.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Should be JJ...he’s been trending down the last couple weeks and is dragging Schultz with him...that second pair has to be better

Or maybe Schultz has just been ass and needs to be better? There's a thought.

I don't get the unwillingness some people here have with criticizing Schultz. You almost never see any negatives said about him.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Or maybe Schultz has just been ass and needs to be better? There's a thought.

I don't get the unwillingness some people here have with criticizing Schultz. You almost never see any negatives said about him.

Schultz's stature benefits from 2 things:

2017 playoffs where he became the co-#1D by default.
Earlier this year where him being out correlated with us sucking.

Nonetheless, I agree with you that he has not been quite as good recently. Dumo had a couple of rough games too although he was great Tuesday night.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad