Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread | Blue! My Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
JR’s succession plan

D2GriwwWwAA2k0V

It’d fit his Yzerman persona.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A goal here and there hasn't equated to enough wins though. Sure we'll get an odd goal from such guys but we're not getting enough in that way. Simon has what one goal in his last 20 plus games? Horny no ES goals in that time, same with Phil. And Dumo has one since how long exactly?And I don't expect Dumoulin to score much, but I sure as hell expect more from these other guys. And McCann lately has been invisible.

We’ve gotten 68% of our points in March (112 point season pace) averaging 3 goals a game (2.4 goals against) and it is enough to get us in a playoff spot. When guys go through droughts other guys chip in. Bjugstad has 4 goals in the last 11 games so has McCann and Kessel. Hornqvist has a couple and a bunch of other guys have goals too. Malkin’s injured and Rust (a good ES producer) and our best D man has been out for a while as well (even ZAR who can chip in with goals).

I mean things can always be better but it’s not bad right now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We’ve gotten 68% of our points in March (112 point season pace) averaging 3 goals a game (2.4 goals against) and it is enough to get us in a playoff spot. When guys go through droughts other guys chip in. Bjugstad has 4 goals in the last 11 games so has McCann and Kessel. Hornqvist has a couple and a bunch of other guys have goals too. Malkin’s injured and Rust (a good ES producer) and our best D man has been out for a while as well (even ZAR who can chip in with goals).
My assertions regarding production or lack thereof is accurate as is yours, which is kind of weird. A lot of McCanns production was at the beginning of that cycle and certainly not the end. But saying that Horny, Phil and Simon have a combined ONE ES goal in the past twenty games plus is also true. And we've given away plenty of points of late no matter what positive spin you want to put upon it.

If you think things are fine the way they are that's your right to believe that, I don't.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It’d fit his Yzerman persona.

Yeah if he wants to stay in hockey I think the GM path would be a good one. Not sure about coaching a team with how meticulous he is and how that’d translate (an assistant sure).

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

I mean things can always be better but it’s not bad right now.

I know we're not in the playoffs yet, but I like overall what I'm seeing with the team, as you stated. I know our 2nd line isn't doing what it could, but we really don't need everybody firing 100%, as long as we have enough firing we'll make a dent.

I also feel that with the more "relaxed" rules of the playoffs, it should help some of our bigger D (key in JJ and Gudbranson). Also we won't have to worry about anymore 3 on 3 OT :D.

It all comes down to who we face, but we have what we need to go all the way!

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah if he wants to stay in hockey I think the GM path would be a good one. Not sure about coaching a team with how meticulous he is and how that’d translate (an assistant sure).

He’s too legendary to coach. He should either own a team or manage if he wants to stay in hockey.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
My assertions regarding production or lack thereof is accurate as is yours, which is kind of weird. A lot of McCanns production was at the beginning of that cycle and certainly not the end. But saying that Horny, Phil and Simon have a combined ONE ES goal in the past twenty games plus is also true. And we've given away plenty of points of late no matter what positive spin you want to put upon it.

If you think things are fine the way they are that's your right to believe that, I don't.

We aren’t playing playoffs right now so I don’t see it as a big deal and overall we have been good. Hornqvist is playing good hockey again and is putting up points after his concussion issues. L3 has been phenomenal at limiting the opposition while still pitching in on scoring.

We just got some good players back it takes and Malkin now the only main guy to come back. Maatta provides great depth and keeps pressure on guys to perform. ZAR replaces one of the 4th liners or becomes the 13th guy. A few issues here and there for the coach and players to build on.

We are going at a good pace we don’t have to be in top gear right now. If Kessel is your worst player (weighted on ability/expectations) it’s not all bad.

I’m not dismissing your concerns but I don’t see it as a worry at the moment. Sure if our last 3 games are a trend then that’s a problem.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We aren’t playing playoffs right now so I don’t see it as a big deal and overall we have been good. Hornqvist is playing good hockey again and is putting up points after his concussion issues. L3 has been phenomenal at limiting the opposition while still pitching in on scoring.

We just got some good players back it takes and Malkin now the only main guy to come back. Maatta provides great depth and keeps pressure on guys to perform. ZAR replaces one of the 4th liners or becomes the 13th guy. A few issues here and there for the coach and players to build on.

We are going at a good pace we don’t have to be in top gear right now. If Kessel is your worst player (weighted on ability/expectations) it’s not all bad.
Squandering points this time of year isn't a big deal? Blowing leads doesn't matter much, and not getting scoring from more than the 1st line on a regular basis including the 2hd line when Geno was in isn't a concern? I just strongly disagree. As I've stated repeatedly as have others, we're consistently inconsistent. And though we have the ability to beat ANY team on a given night, I don't think we're consistent enough to prevail in a series against the best the league has to offer.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The last time someone asked Sid about coaching he said he thought about it but didn't want to do it at the NHL level - more working with younger guys. Pinch of salt, but that's what's out there.

I could see him following Guerin's route - Player Development to Assistant GM - if that's what he wants to do.

edit: Also, cool news about Johnson.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm worried about the offense. It seems like unless the Crosby line is lighting it up for 3 goals in a game, the Pens are going to score 1 or less.

It would be a help if Kessel actually was a threat to score. It's crazy how ineffective the guy's been at ES.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist have not been scored on (77 minutes so far). SH% is below average at 7% but more than doubling the oppositions high danger chances.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist have not been scored on (77 minutes so far). SH% is below average at 7% but more than doubling the oppositions high danger chances.

Not really surprising that line can generate but not finish when you consider all three kind of have hands of stone. Bjugstad seems to have great moves and can get shots off, but has no accuracy, Hornqvist shoots like he's playing whack-a-mole at the county fair, and Simon has a muffin of a shot.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Replace one of those guys with someone who can shoot and you'd have a serious business line there.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Replace one of those guys with someone who can shoot and you'd have a serious business line there.

We have someone by the name of Phil who maybe could revitalize his game playing with them ( but he also has to change his stick)...

Reactions: Ryder71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad