OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Picked up my Phil Steele magazine today. Season right around the corner.

Starting to get the itch myself with nothing really to watch on tv sports wise right now. The Phils being terrible has killed my overall interest in baseball.

This is pretty much the calm before the storm in terms of the college football season. Summer ball about a month away.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm already excited for OK St - Tulsa opening weekend. Sure, FSU-Bama and Michigan-Florida will be great, but it's really college football season when I'm watching a mid-major try to defend Gundy's offense while talking myself into one of the DBs being a prospect because he's not as overmatched as the rest.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
SEC Media days next week. Usually good for a quote or two.

Was it last year Finebaum got Saban all rattled over questioning hi. letting some kid on the team who get kicked out of another SEC school who then got in trouble with the law again there?

It probably will be good this year because you got a fair amount of coaches in the conference feeling the heat.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm already excited for OK St - Tulsa opening weekend. Sure, FSU-Bama and Michigan-Florida will be great, but it's really college football season when I'm watching a mid-major try to defend Gundy's offense while talking myself into one of the DBs being a prospect because he's not as overmatched as the rest.
That total in probably going to be pushing 80.

Tulsa's always a good watch if you like offense. Obviously OSU is too. Mason Rudolph should have a big year.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Tulsa's always a good watch if you like offense.

I love that program. I swear I'm not saying this because of where he signed, but I thought Dane Evans was a top 5 QB in this draft. At least my terrible takes are definitely my own.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Josh Allen was apparently the best QB at the Manning Passing camp by a mile.

I love that program. I swear I'm not saying this because of where he signed, but I thought Dane Evans was a top 5 QB in this draft. At least my terrible takes are definitely my own.
I remember you saying you liked Evans.

I was a big Charles Clay guy. He used to do a little bit of everything for Tulsa. Good player in the NFL, but they obviously don't let him carry the ball like he did in college. Garrett Mills before him. Mills was the guy on that team when they became a relevant program again. He played briefly for the Eagles. Damaris Johnson was also a stud when he played for them. It's a hard team to evaluate. Everyone looks good in that offense.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would guess the consensus of a top three would be some order of Allen, Darnold, & Rosen right now. Rosen to me seems the most primed to fall out of flavor.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think Rosen was at the camp, but Darnold was getting **** for his release (which is funky).

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Rosen is going to be such a tough evaluation. It felt like he was under pressure just as much as Mahomes was. Do you ding a kid for not looking comfortable in the pocket with a team that can't protect him and can't run the ball even a little bit?

The thing I don't like about the Eli comp is that I feel like Rosen's already better holding defenders (especially dropping from the line) with his eyes than Manning ever was. Eli lets those balls rip way in advance. That's pretty fundamental to who Manning is.

But yeah, I could definitely see Rosen dropping too. Or going 1.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is Craig Bohl the best QB recruiter in the world, lucky, or a great development coach? He could have Wentz and Allen go from 0-star recruits to top 5 NFL picks within a 5 year period. That's unbelievable. Although he never played Wentz. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is Craig Bohl the best QB recruiter in the world, lucky, or a great development coach? He could have Wentz and Allen go from 0-star recruits to top 5 NFL picks within a 5 year period. That's unbelievable. Although he never played Wentz. :laugh:

Even at the high school level QB's are tough to project. It's gotten better like the overall evaluations in high school has but still camp circuits are usually you're best evaluation tool in most cases.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Even at the high school level QB's are tough to project. It's gotten better like the overall evaluations in high school has but still camp circuits are usually you're best evaluation tool in most cases.

Yeah Wentz and Allen have almost identical backgrounds. Multi-sport athletes, late growth spurts, under-recruited, didn't go through the QB camp carousels, wtc. Wentz is from North Dakota though so a little more understandable why he flew under the radar. Allen is from Fresno, CA. He took the Aaron Rodgers route- CA HS > 1 year of JUCO > 4 year college. Rodgers ended up a better Campus though. :laugh:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Nittany Lions well-represented with Saquon and Mike. I didn't even need to click this to know Saquon would be #1. Those 2 are literally going to explode this year.

Never too early to preview the season. I look at PSU's schedule and I see another double digit victory season, at least. 10 or 11. OSU will obviously be the biggest challenge. I think they could lose at least one of at Iowa, at Northwestern and Michigan too if they're not careful.

Just take care of business and let the process work out, one game at a time. They'll be contenders and I see another BCS bowl at the very least though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hopefully for them he turns out a little better than the last QB they hyped, Jeremy Johnson. :sarcasm:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Not sure what the Stidham hype is all about honestly. He was pretty lousy in the A Day game, imo.

I'm not sure he does all that much more for them than Sean White did last year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's been hyped up as a dark horse all offseason by the media so I guess it swayed the gamblers as a guy who you can more so cash out with potentially. Probably laid some extra money down on Auburn too if you went with Stidham. Although I wouldn't really like betting against Saban in the SEC at this point.

Suprised Mason Rudolph wasn't good enough to be listed there. I much rather take my chances with him over a lot of those guys.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
McElwain was asked about his shark picture today at SEC Media Day. Needless to say, he acted a little pissy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad