Is it a surprise HNIC chose Bartlett to call the ECF over Singh/Debrusk?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Singh/Debrusk are supposed to be the #2 commentary crew for HNIC and normally they would get the secondary assignment for the Conference Finals.

Instead HNIC chose the third (maybe even fourth) commentary crew. It’s slightly eyebrow raising I think. I can’t imagine Singh/Debrusk asked for time off; they’d want the series and the airtime.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I would imagine that they want to keep things as impartial as possible, even from the hint of bias. Singh was born and raised in Brooks and grew up an Oiler fan and DeBrusk was an Oiler.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would imagine that they want to keep things as impartial as possible, even from the hint of bias. Singh was born and raised in Brooks and grew up an Oiler fan and DeBrusk was an Oiler.
I’m talking about the ECF.

Cuthbert and Simpson are calling the Oilers series.

Normally that should mean Singh/Debrusk get the ECF. But they chose Bartlett instead.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I can't recall Bartlett's voice, but I know Singh is horrific.

Another reason might be that Singh/DeBrusk might've gone on vacation or whatever because Cuthbert/Simpson covered the Oilers/Canucks and would for sure get round 3's call, so they're unavailable for this one.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
I actually don't mind the Singh Debrusk combo but I always found the hire odd considering the guy didn't even call games in English for the network prior to that. Surprised Rick Ball doesn't get more opportunity, I enjoy him as well.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
We in western Canada got a lot of Singh. I am among many that like his voice but not his style. He has no idea when to create excitement, his voice will randomly get excited, no build up, just no sense of how to go with the flow of the game. His descriptiveness is fine. If you can get over the poor antonation, then he is ok.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
My biggest pet peeve with Singh is that he never knows why a whistle was blown.

Offside? "There's whistles on the play"
Clearly signaled penalty? "There's whistles on the play"
The game is literally over "There's whistles on the play"

It's literally your job to know whats going on in the game, get it together.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Debrusk is like white paint. Seems like a sweet guy but he’s boring AF.

Singh is ok, but also a million times better then the usual Oilers guy who sounds like he’s calling wrestling.

Oilers broadcast crew is so bad.
I take Monster Truck Michaels over Singh any day. Singh’s enthusiasm sounds forced and he doesn’t have very good control over excitement/inflection so it almost feels monotonous.

Michaels sounds like if cocaine were a human.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Are they just spreading the work around and/or testing for the future? Cuthbert and Simpson seem to be getting old really fast.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I take Monster Truck Michaels over Singh any day. Singh’s enthusiasm sounds forced and he doesn’t have very good control over excitement/inflection so it almost feels monotonous.

Michaels sounds like if cocaine were a human.
lol. Cocaine cut with Oilers Kool-Aid.

Are they just spreading the work around and/or testing for the future? Cuthbert and Simpson seem to be getting old really fast.
Cuthbert’s nasal CFL quality voice has been old since the 80’s.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
My biggest pet peeve with Singh is that he never knows why a whistle was blown.

Offside? "There's whistles on the play"
Clearly signaled penalty? "There's whistles on the play"
The game is literally over "There's whistles on the play"

It's literally your job to know whats going on in the game, get it together.
This is exactly the thing that bothers me most about his calls.

I also find his call very monotone regardless of the situation in the game. The Americans in this thread must have some real awful PBP guys if they think Singh is an improvement.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Singh/Debrusk are supposed to be the #2 commentary crew for HNIC and normally they would get the secondary assignment for the Conference Finals.

Instead HNIC chose the third (maybe even fourth) commentary crew. It’s slightly eyebrow raising I think. I can’t imagine Singh/Debrusk asked for time off; they’d want the series and the airtime.
Its a surprise that any of them are considered for it.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
lol. Cocaine cut with Oilers Kool-Aid.

Cuthbert’s nasal CFL quality voice has been old since the 80’s.
Jack Michaels isn't even an Edmonton Oilers fan necessarily. I'm pretty sure he's from the USA and 'his' team is Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad