Injury Report: All Purpose Injury Info

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Lucky Daňo. I was worried for him.

So was Quincey, seemingly.

(I use Google for the accented 'N' because there's no alt-code and guess what--happy birthday Marko!)

Yup. Waaay better idea than the stupid offside challenge.

Add:

Icing challenge (so much easier to determine than offside)
Puck over glass challenge
High stick injury challenge (injuries only, like the CFL has, I think, quarterbacks only challenges)

Remove:
Offside challenge

I happened to have tickets last night right behind the Jets bench (some weird MTS draw) and as the players came out for the 3rd, Thorburn was sitting in his usual spot at the end of the bench beside the glass and Quincey was stretching at the redline. Quincey and Thorbs had a lengthy chat and it appeared that Quincey was asking about Dano. Can't be sure because I couldn't hear, but it looked like Quincey was very concerned and Thorburn assured him he was ok. Again, can't be sure that's what went down, but I think it is what happened.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

(I use Google for the accented 'N' because there's no alt-code and guess what--happy birthday Marko!)

Add:

High stick injury challenge (injuries only, like the CFL has, I think, quarterbacks only challenges)

Remove:
Offside challenge

I think I would remove the off-side challenge. I wouldn't want to add an icing challenge, unless the purpose is to actually make icing icing (and not "nearly icing" is not icing).

I would add a puck over glass challenge, if you could do this technically, but my guess is that they don't have enough camera angles to pull that off consistently.

I would add a missed call, injured player challenge (for high sticking, spearing, kneeing, etc.) on plays that the refs said they didn't see. That might take out some of the nasty stickwork that some players get away with away from the play.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I happened to have tickets last night right behind the Jets bench (some weird MTS draw) and as the players came out for the 3rd, Thorburn was sitting in his usual spot at the end of the bench beside the glass and Quincey was stretching at the redline. Quincey and Thorbs had a lengthy chat and it appeared that Quincey was asking about Dano. Can't be sure because I couldn't hear, but it looked like Quincey was very concerned and Thorburn assured him he was ok. Again, can't be sure that's what went down, but I think it is what happened.

Shane Hnidy said the same thing on the broadcast. It's a pretty regular play that happens, and I'm glad Quincey was worried about him, but it really is terrifying. The strength that these guys have to use to lift and tie up each other's sticks means that the second you get air instead of stick you've got a ton of force heading straight for your face. It's amazing injuries like Dano's don't happen more often!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Add:

Remove:
Offside challenge

Don't even get me started on the offside challenge. Ooh, too late!

Look, I get that the challenge was brought in to catch the rare flagrant offside call that the linesman misses. However, this squinting at an iPad screen over and over to see if the tip of the skate on the trailing leg was a quarter inch off the ice, that's just ********. If that's what this has come down to, get rid of it entirely and live with the occasional royal **** up.

Also, while I'm in rant mode, the bloody shooting the puck over the glass penalty really should be eliminated. It should never have been anything more than discretionary, but rather than have the refs try to make that judgment in real time, I think better to get rid of it entirely. Treat it like an icing, so the defending team can't change players, but it is not worthy of a potentially game deciding short handed situation.

Aaaaand, since I'm on a roll, shooting the puck at the other team's bench while they're in the midst of a line change should negate a too many men penalty. Come on, it's so obvious what you're trying to do there, it should almost be called against you, like a diving or embellishment penalty.

Hmmm, just realized this is the injury thread. I may have gone a bit off topic. Perhaps we need a dedicated penalty calls thread. Hey, we could be the vanguard of a standardized thread template for every board. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't even get me started on the offside challenge. Ooh, too late!

Look, I get that the challenge was brought in to catch the rare flagrant offside call that the linesman misses. However, this squinting at an iPad screen over and over to see if the tip of the skate on the trailing leg was a quarter inch off the ice, that's just ********. If that's what this has come down to, get rid of it entirely and live with the occasional royal **** up.

Also, while I'm in rant mode, the bloody shooting the puck over the glass penalty really should be eliminated. It should never have been anything more than discretionary, but rather than have the refs try to make that judgment in real time, I think better to get rid of it entirely. Treat it like an icing, so the defending team can't change players, but it is not worthy of a potentially game deciding short handed situation.

Aaaaand, since I'm on a roll, shooting the puck at the other team's bench while they're in the midst of a line change should negate a too many men penalty. Come on, it's so obvious what you're trying to do there, it should almost be called against you, like a diving or embellishment penalty.

Hmmm, just realized this is the injury thread. I may have gone a bit off topic. Perhaps we need a dedicated penalty calls thread. Hey, we could be the vanguard of a standardized thread template for every board. :nod:

I think you are right. It does deserve a thread.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Any word on The Pecan? Still lower-body day-to-day, or whatever euphemism the Js are using?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Any word on The Pecan? Still lower-body day-to-day, or whatever euphemism the Js are using?

Not eligible to come off IR until tomorrow, I believe. Haven't heard anything definitive about his injury - a bit nutty, really. ;)

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Not eligible to come off IR until tomorrow, I believe. Haven't heard anything definitive about his injury - a bit nutty, really. ;)

Maurice said it was 'nothing sinister'. I don't know how much clearer you could be. :sarcasm:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for the replies, all -- feel like we've gotten to the meat of it now...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
With Scheif out, the Jets are going to have to nut up to win !!!

You can only hope that Hellebuyck's thought process is something like "me-a-goalie-must-turn-into-a-wall-nuthing-can-stop-me".

That was shameful. Good night.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Sara Orlesky ‏@saraorlesky 8m8 minutes ago
Other NHLJets injury updates:
Myers- still no timeline
Armia- mid/late Dec
Matthias- late Dec/early Jan
Petan- possibly couple of weeks

Sounds like we could have quite a different line up by the end of the year with Sheif, Armia, Matthias and Petan all potentially back. Who stays and who goes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad