Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Sara Orlesky ‏@saraorlesky 8m8 minutes ago
Other NHLJets injury updates:
Myers- still no timeline
Armia- mid/late Dec
Matthias- late Dec/early Jan
Petan- possibly couple of weeks

Sounds like we could have quite a different line up by the end of the year with Sheif, Armia, Matthias and Petan all potentially back. Who stays and who goes?

Laine Scheif Ehlers
MP Little Wheeler
Dano Petan Staff
Matthias Lowry Armia
Thor
Not sure they go with what I want as I don't see Tanev going anywhere, coach loves him, Burmi would need to be waived and I think they will and Copp has played well so his demotion would sting for him. Connor on a AHL stint maybe? Tough decisions, I wonder if they just go to the same as the start of the year, not so sure cause PMo was pumping Dano and Petan's tires a few weeks back.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sara Orlesky ‏@saraorlesky 8m8 minutes ago
Other NHLJets injury updates:
Myers- still no timeline
Armia- mid/late Dec
Matthias- late Dec/early Jan
Petan- possibly couple of weeks

Sounds like we could have quite a different line up by the end of the year with Sheif, Armia, Matthias and Petan all potentially back. Who stays and who goes?

They have some really tough decisions to make.

I think that Burmi and Thorbs should be the easy choices to sit. After that, it gets a bit tougher.

Right now, I think I'd keep Copp and Dano over Tanev, even though I really like Tanev as a 4th line energy player. I'm not sure Petan gets back in over Copp or Dano at this stage, either.

Stafford should probably sit, but I doubt he will.

Here's what I hope for....

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Dano

More realistically...

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Dano-Copp-Stafford

Maurice will probably keep Stafford on the 2nd line with Little and Wheeler, which would be a mistake. In that case...

Ehlers-Scheif-Laine
Stafford-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Perreault-Copp-Dano

Either way, the Jets have pretty great depth.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So Scheifele's hurt and not sick.

And what happened to Myers? Is this his knee/hip still recovering or something unrelated?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Laine Scheif Ehlers
MP Little Wheeler
Dano Petan Staff
Matthias Lowry Armia
Thor
Not sure they go with what I want as I don't see Tanev going anywhere, coach loves him, Burmi would need to be waived and I think they will and Copp has played well so his demotion would sting for him. Connor on a AHL stint maybe? Tough decisions, I wonder if they just go to the same as the start of the year, not so sure cause PMo was pumping Dano and Petan's tires a few weeks back.

I think it's hard to take Copp out of the line-up. He's been better 5v5 than Petan, and the Jets have a ton of options for the PP now that Perreault is back.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So Scheifele is still day-to-day - for 4 days now. Isn't 4 days the cutoff in TNSE speak for he will be out a month?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
when we are healthy...
Connor Scheif Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Dano MP Armia
Copp Lowry Tanev

Enstrom Trouba
Morrissey Buff
Chiarot Myers

Helle Hutch

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So Scheifele's hurt and not sick.

And what happened to Myers? Is this his knee/hip still recovering or something unrelated?

I watched the whole presser: Myers' current injury is unrelated to his offseason surgery according to Maurice.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's hard to take Copp out of the line-up. He's been better 5v5 than Petan, and the Jets have a ton of options for the PP now that Perreault is back.

But they don't have a ton of (better) options at 3C.

You are right that there are some tough decisions coming up. The easy ones are; Thor to the PB, Connor to the Moose and Burmi to waivers.

If they would just move Stafford out of the way it gets easier but I doubt that happens before the TD. The best we can hope for is that he doesn't play left side anymore and he doesn't play top 6. We probably lose on both those counts. :(

What I expect:
Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Stafford - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Petan - Armia
Tanev - Lowry - Matthias
Thor
Moose - Copp, Dano

What I would prefer:
Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Copp - Petan - Dano
Tanev - Lowry - Armia
Matthias, Thor - or Thor moved if we want 8 D. Copp and/or Tanev could spend a few games in the PB to give Matthias some games. Maybe we get to this after the TD.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Good news on Armia I guess because I thought the original estimate was mid Jan?

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary

In what way he has 2 more points in 5 more games played. He was 3 more shots and 4 more shot attempts in 5 more games played. His corsi % is 10 lower while facing lesser competition. His shot supression numbers are worse. Petan has almost the lowest on ice sh% at 5v5. Not to mention the plain old eye test where Petan has just been flat out better.

Last edited:

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Knock on wood that we don't have more injuries. But with a more favorable schedule in the latter half and a healthy team, we should be making a good push for a playoff spot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm want way he has 2 more points in 5 more games played. He was 3 more shots and 4 more shot attempts in 5 more games played. His corsi % is 10 lower while facing lesser competition. His shot supression numbers are worse. Petan has almost the lowest on ice sh% at 5v5. Not to mention the plain old eye test where Petan has just been flat out better.

5v5 pts/60 - Copp 1.57, Petan 1.06 (Copp has 5 points at 5v5, while Petan has 3).

Copp doesn't play on the PP as Petan did, but is a good PKer.

Petan was playing with much better linemates than Copp has this season.

I really like Petan and liked his play this year in a top-6 role, but Copp has been excellent this season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
5v5 pts/60 - Copp 1.57, Petan 1.06 (Copp has 5 points at 5v5, while Petan has 3).

I really like Petan and liked his play this year in a top-6 role, but Copp has been excellent this season.

Copp is scoring at a good third line rate so far this year, that's pretty impressive.

He looks like a player who may exceed my projection and become a quality third line player who can kill penalties. Pretty solid pick up from the 4th round.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have a feeling that with how well the young players have filled in, the Jets are not going to be in a big hurry to get injured players back in the line-up.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I have a feeling that with how well the young players have filled in, the Jets are not going to be in a big hurry to get injured players back in the line-up.

They should obviously take their time and be careful, but getting Thorbs and Burmi out of the lineup would be nice

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary

He has played with better linemates for sure but he has also played against much better competition.

As far as the pts/60 go Petan played big minutes when the team was struggling to even generate shots 5on5 and got injured at the end of the first game they looked like an NHL team again. That will definitely change over a bigger sample provided both stay up I believe. Also if I remember correctly Petan was near the very top of the team in individual scoring chances/60 and expected goals for (might be wrong about the last one).

I like Copp but I don't think he's been anywhere near as good as Petan.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Personally, in that small of a sample, to me the bigger deal is:

Petan +5.2 CorsiRelTM
Copp -0.4 CorsiRelTM

At this low of TOI, 1-2 points is a swing of +/- 0.3-0.7 points per 60. Too much to compare other than to say Petan hasn't scored exceptionally and Copp has scored adequately given TOI.

I'm using CorsiRelTM here instead of usually relCorsi because with hugely different QoT usage we are just looking at how the linemates did with and without the player with CorsiRelTM instead of on-ice vs off-ice with relCorsi... so we see that Petan does do better in both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad