Golf: All purpose golf discussion (The PGA Tour’s 2019-20 schedule in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Did this list in the tennis thread too so I'll carry it over to the golf thread.

Top 10 golfers of the 2010s:

1. Rory McIlroy (Despite winning no majors since 2014, Rory still leads in virtually all metrics, hence giving him a well deserved claim at being the golfer of the decade)
2. Brooks Koepka (Currently, the most dominant golfer on the world and despite only being on tour for a few years, already has 4 majors and that total looks to only be going up and going up fast in the next decade)
3. Dustin Johnson (The most consistent golfer of the decade, but he's also been the golfer who's suffered the most heartbreaks this decade and as of 2019, he's only won one slam in what has been an otherwise stellar decade/career. As a result, he's below Rory and Brooks on this list)
4. Jordan Spieth (It's been a tough couple years for Spieth but let's not forget how dominant he was for a couple years where every tournament was his to lose and every putt was dropping in left and right. Oh and he's still only 26; he's far from being finished)
5. Tiger Woods (It's been a turbulent decade for Tiger but he's ended it on quite a high note the past 2 seasons. Despite that he's still won a Masters, a Players, 2 WGCs, one POY and 11 titles in the 2010s, which is a resume only the 4 above him can top)
6. Justin Thomas (In modern golf, only Tiger, Jack, Rory and Spieth can match what Thomas has done by age 26. Despite being a minor at the start of the decade, he's already racked up an abundance of achievements)
7. Jason Day (He was a top tier golfer for a couple years but his level has dropped a bit since then. Despite that, he's still picked up a major, a Players, 2 WGCs, and won 12 titles in the 2010s, including that dominant display where he out-dueled peak Speith at the 2015 PGA)
8. Justin Rose (After a turbulent 2000's decade, the 2010s treated Rosey well. He's won a major, a gold medal, a FedEx Cup and 14 worldwide titles just to name a few achievements. He's also been very consistent year in year out from the start of the decade till the end)
9. Martin Kaymer (Now this is one name us North American golf fans haven't heard of in a while. Despite that he's somewhat quietly had a HOF career throughout the 2010s winning 2 majors, a Players, 1 WGC, and has been world number one)
10. Bubba Watson (Similar to Rose, his career was stagnant throughout the 2000's but the turn of the decade was like a giant bright door opened up for the fan favorite, Bubba. He's won 2 Masters, 2 WGCs, reached a career high of #2 in the world, and won all 12 of his career titles during this decade)

Honorable Mentions: Phil Mickelson, Henrik Stenson, Adam Scott, and Patrick Reed

In summary: Rory was the most dominant player in the first half of the 2010s (and overall), Spieth was the most domiannt player in the middle of the 2010s, and Brooks has been the most dominant player in the latter years of the 2010s. DJ was the most consistent, JT has the most left to give going forward and Tiger had the best redemption story.

Again, I'd love to hear everyone's opinions and personal lists!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
27/40 top 5's.

Actually though, how f***ed is this? He underperformed in wins basically too if you look at it.

yt4xHMr.png

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I encountered this today. This is an all time rant. Worth listening to. To think this guy was one of the best golfers ever. He sounds like a drunk fan, although he's mostly right.

It reminded me of this. Worth a watch.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Reed would've won, Thomas and Schauffele should've appealed to the PGA Tour over the suspension Reed should've had during the month of January.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thank God Reed didn't win.

JT is a superstar.

I think you have to win majors consistently to be a superstar. I’d call him a star, but his best is up there at the top of the game.

I would say JT, DJ and Rahm are all stars, but they’ve combined for two career majors. Koepka has more than that in the last two years having only played in 7 of the 8 majors.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think you have to win majors consistently to be a superstar. I’d call him a star, but his best is up there at the top of the game.

I would say JT, DJ and Rahm are all stars, but they’ve combined for two career majors. Koepka has more than that in the last two years having only played in 7 of the 8 majors.
That's fair, I think JT will start winning majors more consistently which is why I called him a superstar. 12 wins, a major, 2 WGC and a FedEx Cup by 26 is some seriously impressive stuff. I really believe the Majors will come and he will prove to be a tier above DJ/Rahm.

I will admit I am bias though as I am a big fan of his.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

Who on tour right now would you consider a superstar? I mean JT has been straight fire these past 2-3 years

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who on tour right now would you consider a superstar? I mean JT has been straight fire these past 2-3 years

Only Brooks.

I don't think there needs to be 2-3 superstars at all times. You need to win majors and regular tour events at a high rate to be one, in my opinion. Brooks didn't even do that until the most recent season.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Only Brooks.

I don't think there needs to be 2-3 superstars at all times. You need to win majors and regular tour events at a high rate to be one, in my opinion. Brooks didn't even do that until the most recent season.
Rory? Or no because he hasn't won a major in a while? He was still the best player of the 2010's bar none.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not even Rory or Tiger?

Yes, but thats only my opinion.

I think in sporting culture too many people are called superstars and then too many are stars. We like to use all these big titles for athletes because it generates more hype, but if you analyze it more closely and try to remove the hyperbole, it often doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad