All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVIV: We're Goin Off The Rail On A Crazy Monorail

Best Fries?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe due to the fact that the mayor(I think mayor) is claiming the majority of the rioting is from white supremacists?
Or she’s racist. I don’t know. I have no idea who she is.
FWIW Obama also called looters/rioters thugs during Ferguson.

I think you can make a good case that Antifa, White Supremacists and Black looters who use a peaceful protest against the killing of black men as cover are all "thugs." And from what I've seen so far, it may be all three that are involved in the violence the last few days.

Spontaneous rage, even if one disapproves, at least is understandable (we're not going to take it . . .).
Calculated rioting and looting are simply criminal, with no justification.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I really like this image. Imagine if for a second people united against not just racism which is a huge issue but also against a system that is increasingly socio economically oppressive and leaves communities in squalor while those at the top hoard. That forces communities to turn to crime and hardship.

Imagine if unity for equality extended beyond cops, who are essentially middlemen. Think if people realized we aren’t each others enemies. The system is the enemy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Revolution always eats its young.
Reform is frustrating and slow, but it lasts longer.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I think you can make a good case that Antifa, White Supremacists and Black looters who use a peaceful protest against the killing of black men as cover are all "thugs." And from what I've seen so far, it may be all three that are involved in the violence the last few days.

Spontaneous rage, even if one disapproves, at least is understandable (we're not going to take it . . .).

The issue with these demonstrations - let’s call them. Is they have conveniently had focus turn on the chaos - as opposed to the message and desire for change.

It’s true that, that is largely caused by the idiots stealing Nike shoes, but don’t for a second think those at the top aren’t thrilled that the message for “change” is being lost. The status quo drums on.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

No absolutely, anyone out there trying to take advantage of the situation, especially by force, is a thug. Race doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The issue with these demonstrations - let’s call them. Is they have conveniently had focus turn on the chaos - as opposed to the message and desire for change.

It’s true that, that is largely caused by the idiots stealing Nike shoes, but don’t for a second think those at the top aren’t thrilled that the message for “change” is being lost. The status quo drums on.

This sort of chaos rewards conservatives.

But the people in these demonstrations have to take responsibility for "outing" the Antifa and avoiding marches in retail districts that are conducive to looting - unfortunately, strategy is as important as emotion if you want to make change, not merely vent off steam.

It's not enough for good hearted people to stand together, they have to also protect their message from those who would use them for nefarious purposes.

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...Moved+Elites,+Public+Opinion+and+Voting&btnG=

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
No absolutely, anyone out there trying to take advantage of the situation, especially by force, is a thug. Race doesn’t matter.

I think the place where the force is directed is wrong. At other people, neighbours, police cars. Etc. Looting just makes whatever demonstration you are trying to act in lose all credibility.

I don’t for a second think that change - which is what people DO want will happen without some kind of force. True peaceful reform ain’t happening.

Last edited:

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This sort of chaos rewards conservatives.

But the people in these demonstrations have to take responsibility for "outing" the Antifa and avoiding marches in retail districts that are conducive to looting - unfortunately, strategy is as important as emotion if you want to make change, not merely vent off steam.

It's not enough for good hearted people to stand together, they have to also protect their message from those who would use them for nefarious purposes.

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,39&q=Agenda+seeding:+How+1960s+Black+Protests+Moved+Elites,+Public+Opinion+and+Voting&btnG=

Chaos if you want to call it that, is useful if it’s directed. The problem is that it’s not. The is no leadership for the current wave and desire for change.

I pleasantly disagree that peaceful reform is possible in today’s society. A return to the status quo was so important for the bourgeoise, that a pandemic was politicized and used to divide people.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Dont worry, it's all in the name of protesting

I was hoping that was a different Rochester but nope, it's mine.

This white supremacist anarchist shithead is the poster child for our local riots as he was the first guy attacking cop cars.

67940363-25d3-435f-b8aa-356292579cf0-JG_053020_Protestors_9.jpg

Reactions: Cody Webster

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Name a successful revolution.

The American revolution was one in name only, the Founding Fathers were essentially conservative, and fighting for their rights as Englishmen.
France, Russia, China, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Mexico . . .

Reform does happen, just read American history, a few cop killings pale next to the Tulsa riot or the Wilmington, NC insurrection, Jim Crow, lynching et al. Reform is not emotionally satisfying because it reeks of compromise, but incremental change is still change and people benefit.

Yeats wrote that poem just after WWI, fearing he'd lose his wife to the 1918 flu and watching the gathering storm in Ireland.
A far worse time than ours.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
A purely historical focus on why to do something, or to not - is flawed imo.

Hell and I won’t go down that historical road, because I’m not as knowledgeable in it. Won’t pretend to be.

I don’t agree with assault on a innocent neighbour. Shop owner. Looting. Burning cop cars or throwing things at police. That’s disgusting.

I do however believe that peaceful demonstrations will not be enough to create change. A small fire is lit, and has been for some time. The fire will continue to grow imo. Crazy times. I do appreciate the civility in the conversation. *hat tip*

Reactions: Lotusflower

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Maybe due to the fact that the mayor(I think mayor) is claiming the majority of the rioting is from white supremacists?
Or she’s racist. I don’t know. I have no idea who she is.
FWIW Obama also called looters/rioters thugs during Ferguson.

There's also the fact that it wasn't real.

Obama is one thing. Then you've got everyone since the 1960s who has used "thug" as a surrogate for the n-word.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
So I am viewing on CNN and MSNBC. Any other one I should be viewing(if I can get it up here)?

Google “Reddit protests megathread”

A few there with links to streams of everyday people on the ground.

It’s a tough time. That video by Amorgus above is tough. I’m most annoyed by the fact that there were for sure people around who could have helped. Or tried to. I dunno. Maybe I’m naive, but not how I was raised. You help, or run like crazy to try and get others to help. Not just videotape like a useless f***.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's also the fact that it wasn't real.

Obama is one thing. Then you've got everyone since the 1960s who has used "thug" as a surrogate for the n-word.

Which is ironic, since thug would be more accurately used against those of South Asian descent.

1. a violent person, especially a criminal.
2. a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

Din! Din! Din!
You Lazarushian-leather Gunga Din!
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad