All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVIII: Let's Get These Threads Back On The Rail(s)

Best Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Striiker

Remember I mentioned some white dude in disguise smashing windows at an Autozone and escalating the riots? Turns out he may have been a cop. Also, it is the first documented report of any vandalism during the protests. In other words, he lit the match to get it started.

What the hell is going on?!

20200530_091931.jpg

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Les was a bad ass mofo. If I remember correctly, he stopped doing the show because it was taking too much of a mental toll on him. He made "Hotel" Bear Grylls look like a chump.

I love Ray Mears. His tv shows are great and a guy with that exta body fat for sure knows how to live well in the wild haha.

His "Northern Wilderness" series on the foundation of Canada is just amazing. Would recommend anyone and everyone to see it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm from St. Louis, but I am currently recluseing in Bumblef***, Missouri, which is in the American Midwest and not the American South.

Not quite, Missouri was a border state, home to Mark Twain but also Quantrill's raiders.
Not exactly Southern but not Midwestern either.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
@Striiker

Remember I mentioned some white dude in disguise smashing windows at an Autozone and escalating the riots? Turns out he may have been a cop. Also, it is the first documented report of any vandalism during the protests. In other words, he lit the match to get it started.

View attachment 348253
If he attempted to start it or participated in any way then he’s a piece of shit, but I don’t see how anyone could possibly know who started it. There’s too many people and it’s too widespread.

Regardless, even if we assume that’s true, still f*** every single waste of life who’s doing it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not quite, Missouri was a border state, home to Mark Twain but also Quantrill's raiders.
Not exactly Southern but not Midwestern either.

I always find such distinctions difficult even on our small island.

Take Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

The North of those counties? For sure in the "North" to some people. To others it is the midlands.

A lot of people from Lincolnshire would consider themselves Northern... partially due to cultures, accents etc.

Basically:

Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham, Westmoreland.

Are the only 6 historical counties universally considered the North.

BUT:

Cheshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Staffordshire...

either in parts, or for Cheshire the whole county, are also sometimes seen as the North. And I would argue that 100% Northern Cheshire, Derbyshire, Notts and Lincolnshire are. But otherd would disagree and say all are in the Midlands. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It’s obviously more complicated than that. Southern America is having less of an issue as the colder states. I think Brazil’s big issue is the slums and their social system around that. They have a TON of people in the slums that are stacked on top of each other and have to work or go hungry. So they get it and spread it inside out and outside in. UV light, heat, humidity definitely have a mitigating effect. Just can’t say to what extent.

Uh, check out Peru and Ecuador. Who knows what's happening in Venezeula.

Reactions: kudymen

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I have been off for two days and the thread is over again? Jesus, I am never catching up with HF again :-/
Things you missed. HC asking posters to make this thread less crazy by posting fun stuff. Of course things get derailed. Buy more monorail stocks! Jojo posted a pic of his floofer in a bathroom. I asked for more bathroom pics to judge Jojo's bathroom design choice. Jojo said we only get more pics if we behave. So if we all behave we get a house tour of Jojo's place.

HC/Starat 2020
Direct, Vocal, Decisive Voices

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If he attempted to start it or participated in any way then he’s a piece of shit, but I don’t see how anyone could possibly know who started it. There’s too many people and it’s too widespread.

Regardless, even if we assume that’s true, still f*** every single waste of life who’s doing it.

His ex-wife has corroborated that its him. Theres a ton of info on Twitter. I dont know with 100% certainty yet, but theres a lot there.

I do know that rioting over your people getting killed is a lot more understandable than Canucks fans rioting after they lost the Cup, or Penn State students rioting over the Paterno statue, etc. Especially when they were already told they couldnt peacefully protest the issue either in the form of kneeling during a f***ing song.

I wont argue over it though, its not my place plus its the weekend and I need to decompress. Just dropping my 2 cents.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Byzantine Empire" was the name given to the Roman Empire by Western historians who liked to pretend that Rome died and there wasn't a superpower sitting next to Europe for centuries.

I don't know if I'd call them a superpower, more like the ''sick man" of Eurasia for the last few centuries before the Ottomans finally did it in.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know if I'd call them a superpower, more like the ''sick man" of Eurasia for the last few centuries before the Ottomans finally did it in.

They were absolutely a superpower through the 7th century and beyond that through 1204 exercised a level of sophistication that most European states couldn't even dream of.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I always find such distinctions difficult even on our small island.

Take Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

The North of those counties? For sure in the "North" to some people. To others it is the midlands.

A lot of people from Lincolnshire would consider themselves Northern... partially due to cultures, accents etc.

Basically:

Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham, Westmoreland.

Are the only 6 historical counties universally considered the North.

BUT:

Cheshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Staffordshire...

either in parts, or for Cheshire the whole county, are also sometimes seen as the North. And I would argue that 100% Northern Cheshire, Derbyshire, Notts and Lincolnshire are. But otherd would disagree and say all are in the Midlands. :laugh:

In the US, the history is closer, slavery, cotton and the Civil War are a major dividing line.
Texas reflects this:

East Texas, black dirt cotton land is similar to the Deep South (the black belt from Louisiana through S Carolina)
North Texas was settled by people from the Piedmont, the foothills of the Appalachian Mts., who had smaller farms, more mixed agriculture and fewer slaves, Tennessee, Arkansas, N Alabama, Miss, Georgia, western edge of S Carolina, Western N Carolina and Virginia.

Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland were border states that the Union controlled, with many Confederate sympathizers, West Virginia succeeded from Virginia to stay in the Union. Southern Illinois, southern Indiana, and Southern Ohio also had their share of Confederate sympathizers. So it's a bit of a gradient.

The other factor is immigration patterns, the South had a lot of English and Scotch-Irish, as you go North, ethnicity is more mixed because most immigrants avoided the South b/c of the climate and slavery, they didn't want to compete with slave labor and the wealthy plantation owners controlled most of the good land. So you have the Scandinavians and Dutch throughout the Midwest from Minnesota to Michigan, Germans. East Europeans (Poles, Ukrainians, etc.), Jews, Italians, Irish etc. flocked to the cities where there were jobs.

Reactions: Appleyard

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
His ex-wife has corroborated that its him. Theres a ton of info on Twitter. I dont know with 100% certainty yet, but theres a lot there.

I do know that rioting over your people getting killed is a lot more understandable than Canucks fans rioting after they lost the Cup, or Penn State students rioting over the Paterno statue, etc. Especially when they were already told they couldnt peacefully protest the issue either in the form of kneeling during a f***ing song.

I wont argue over it though, its not my place plus its the weekend and I need to decompress. Just dropping my 2 cents.
Oh, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I’m not arguing with you and I’m not saying it wasn’t him in the video or that he’s innocent.

I’m just saying I’m not sure how we’d be able to determine if he (or literally anyone else) was the one who actually started everything or if he merely participated and tried to make things worse. Every single person looting or doing damage is guilty, no matter who they are, what they are, or what they’re using as an excuse.

But yeah, I’m also not getting back into this today. No point.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There’s just always going to be morons that take advantage of large public gatherings to loot/damage property. The cops are outnumbered in those situations often times & realistically can only do so much. The risk of getting caught is probably minimal.

Even when the Phillies & Eagles won there were morons doing that shit. Spirits are much higher during these events & honestly probably larger in numbers too.

It just is what it is. I don’t feel bad for places like Target as that’s just a pimple on their ass. But I do feel bad for smaller business owners who more so feel it.

Reactions: Striiker

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Uh, check out Peru and Ecuador. Who knows what's happening in Venezeula.

Ive been to both, volunteered in the medical system of Ecuador for a month. It’s sad to see but they are not set up well to undergo measures to contain this thing and certainly not treat it. It’s a no brainer and simple biology as to what kills viruses so that’s not really up for debate.

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
@Striiker

View attachment 348253
When the Colorado movie theater shooter's name was released a news media outlet found a conservative with the same name in the area and ran with it.
If it was a police officer, fry him. But let's wait for the facts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They were absolutely a superpower through the 7th century and beyond that through 1204 exercised a level of sophistication that most European states couldn't even dream of.

In other words, 5 centuries of degenerates locked up behind their walls admiring their architecture, art work and practicing Byzantine politics.
They couldn't stop the Arab whirlwind in the 7th century, which showed their weakness, it isn't like the Arab armies were juggernauts like the Mongols. The Arabs merely exposed the rot of the Eastern Empire.

I'd say the Roman Empire ended with the Arab conquests, after that, Constantinople was a trade city, more like Venice than ancient Rome, strategically located on the sea route to the Black Sea, connecting inland Rus to the Mediterranean. Even the resurgence of the 8th-10th century was limited to Anatolia, Greece and a few strategic ports around the Mediterranean.

1204 is the sack of Constantinople in the 4th Crusade, overcome by a motley crew of European adventurers hiding behind the cross in their pursuit of pillage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad