All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVIII: Let's Get These Threads Back On The Rail(s)

Best Season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Not quite, Missouri was a border state, home to Mark Twain but also Quantrill's raiders.
Not exactly Southern but not Midwestern either.

I appreciate you arbitrarily deciding that lol - it's the Midwest, trust me. St. Louis itself is "The Gateway to the West," appropriate as the only thing to do here is head through the gate and get the **** out. I do think your obsession with Quantrill's Raiders is starting to blur some lines for you.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It also suggests that immunity from infection may vary between individuals, something to watch carefully.

That's the problem with new diseases, the virus moves faster than research.

Yes, that seems to be the case. There was a study done in NH where sick patients were given plasma from patients who had recovered, and all showed marked improvement. So it’s pretty clear that some people produce antibodies that are more effective (or produce them in greater amounts) than others.

What’s interesting about this study is the possibility of identifying antibodies that are universally effective. That would be a big step in developing an effective vaccine.

Reactions: Carter Hart

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In other words, 5 centuries of degenerates locked up behind their walls admiring their architecture, art work and practicing Byzantine politics.
They couldn't stop the Arab whirlwind in the 7th century, which showed their weakness, it isn't like the Arab armies were juggernauts like the Mongols. The Arabs merely exposed the rot of the Eastern Empire.

I'd say the Roman Empire ended with the Arab conquests, after that, Constantinople was a trade city, more like Venice than ancient Rome, strategically located on the sea route to the Black Sea, connecting inland Rus to the Mediterranean. Even the resurgence of the 8th-10th century was limited to Anatolia, Greece and a few strategic ports around the Mediterranean.

1204 is the sack of Constantinople in the 4th Crusade, overcome by a motley crew of European adventurers hiding behind the cross in their pursuit of pillage.

The Arab whirlwind wasn't due to systemic weakness, it was due to cycles of plague that impacted the non-urban Arabs less and a depletion of resources following a truly epic existential war with the neighboring superpower of Persia. Without the plague neither state falls to the Arabs.

You only need to compare these states to their neighbors to understand why they were superpowers in their day.

1204 was another instance of what happens when you have a truly incompetent leader in charge and how it destabilizes your entire state. A fun lesson for our times.

Another fun lesson for our times though: pandemics can trigger massive change.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Giant stinging jellyfish washing up on the beach are so 2020

jelly-1024x768.jpg

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I think there's a distinction here: Cops face far more stress on the job than garbagemen do. Which in turn can make their job more dangerous than need be because a stressed cop worn thin might escalate a situation that could've been handled better, or otherwise just make a wrong choice because of what they've dealt with.

It's a very stressful job that will inevitably have them seeing things that are hard to see, and unless they're devoid of empathy the constant march to the same battered women calling in abuse only to refuse help also takes a toll. And constantly dealing with dishonest, devious, violent people can make you jaded and bleak, which doesn't help the mindset.

There are jobs that are more dangerous and deadly than being a cop, but the stresses that go with being a cop can be rather unique. I've never seen this done before and it's a while since I've searched for it, but I wonder how many of the veterans who commit suicide are also on police forces. Piling more PTSD on top of existing PTSD to get a more well-rounded PTSD portfolio cannot be good.
It doesn’t help that literally any call they go out on, someone could potentially pull a gun or knife or whatever on them.
Garbage men don’t deal with that. They deal with industrial accidents.
Trash compactors don’t have malice or decide to suicide by garbage man.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I am blown away by the South American development. And honestly, what is even more amazing here is Africa

Give it time.
The virus hits the major international air hubs first, then travels into the hinterland.
Africa has a lot of Chinese investment, so there are probably hot spots that haven't been identified.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It doesn’t help that literally any call they go out on, someone could potentially pull a gun or knife or whatever on them.
Garbage men don’t deal with that. They deal with industrial accidents.
Trash compactors don’t have malice or decide to suicide by garbage man.

No, but the death rate is almost 3 times as high for garbage men.
Of course, the risk isn't spread evenly, the cop on the beat is probably higher risk, but haven't seen any studies.

A lot of the stress may be due to having lots of working class ex-urban white men dealing with urban black men.
One effect of de facto segregation is many cops may simply not have grown up with many black people, and misinterpret their talk and behavior, and the converse is true.
Studies have shown that it's easier for people to read expressions of their own race (and the people they grew up with) than of others.
Add to that the cultural gap and misinterpretation and escalation of conflicts is inevitable without intensive police training.

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate."

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
@Striiker

Remember I mentioned some white dude in disguise smashing windows at an Autozone and escalating the riots? Turns out he may have been a cop. Also, it is the first documented report of any vandalism during the protests. In other words, he lit the match to get it started.

What the hell is going on?!

View attachment 348253
It’s more likely he’s antifa than a cop

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Reactions: Carter Hart

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
No, but the death rate is almost 3 times as high for garbage men.
Of course, the risk isn't spread evenly, the cop on the beat is probably higher risk, but haven't seen any studies.

A lot of the stress may be due to having lots of working class ex-urban white men dealing with urban black men.
One effect of de facto segregation is many cops may simply not have grown up with many black people, and misinterpret their talk and behavior, and the converse is true.
Studies have shown that it's easier for people to read expressions of their own race (and the people they grew up with) than of others.
Add to that the cultural gap and misinterpretation and escalation of conflicts is inevitable without intensive police training.

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate."
A garbage man doesn’t have to approach a trash bag from the rear and pie off to a 30° angle to make sure the bag doesn’t shoot at him. Every time he picks up a bag. A cop does every single time he has to stop a car.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Remember when conservatives whined about "activist judges" who put their ideology before the law?

This should have been a 9-0 vote, because restrictions on gatherings do not discriminate against religion (I consider sports a religion, so if you're going to open the churches, open the stadiums!). It's a legal no-brainer, unless you're an "activist" judge who puts politics before the law.

Supreme Court rejects request from California church to block restrictions on in-person services - CNNPolitics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad