All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVII: The Read A Book Edition

Is Mayonnaise An Instrument?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That’s fine, but it’s still a story from a non right wing source. Doctors told abc7 out there that and the right wing website didn’t skew their words.

Whats RT?

Couldn't care what doctors "say," anyone who studies statistics knows that random "hot spots" are inevitable in a large population.
You need good statistics to determine if you're observing a trend or a statistical fluke, and most doctors are ignorant of statistics (epidemiologists are an exception since that's a requirement, good medical researchers should be, but often aren't, trained in statistics).

Right now there is no evidence one way or another.

Though the rise in gun sales should lead to a rise in suicide, irregardless of the shutdown, b/c there's a strong correlation between gun ownership and suicide, probably because when you're depressed, you don't get second thoughts (they're not going to pump your stomach) when you use a gun to do the deed.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...wnership-and-Suicide-in-the-United-States.pdf

https://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(18)32383-3/fulltext

FIREARM AVAILABILITY AND SUICIDE - Suicide Prevention and Intervention - NCBI Bookshelf

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

They're going to find an effective vaccine by sometime this fall, but even when they do, it's a long way from a trial success to producing 300M doses (maybe 600 if you need two shots), vials, syringes, etc., then distribute the doses and get people inoculated.

In other words, don't expect the new normal to end before next summer.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
God bless people like you for getting shots like this so i can know what its like without the terrifying fear of doing it myself.

That said, I'd still rather do this then climb a 20ft ladder.

I’ll throw out one campfire story at ya.

My very first night dive and still pretty newish overall was off the Bahamas at the wreck of this intact old plane. You always dive in 2’s.

Anyway as I’m approach this thing, I shine the light under one of the wings and see a very mellow reef shark sitting under there. A big boy. I tried to signal over to my buddy, but he didn’t notice and started swimming from the other way - on top of the wing.

When he got to the end, he looked underneath and you could see him panic and start kicking away really quick. Big boy wakes up.

We stayed down there for another 10min maybe, and every once in a while you would turn and see it’s eyes. Thing was basically circling the area. It was prob one of the biggest I’ve seen.

The swim back to the boat I was shitting myself. Refused to look back behind me.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I’ll throw out one campfire story at ya.

My very first night dive and still pretty newish overall was off the Bahamas at the wreck of this intact old plane. You always dive in 2’s.

Anyway as I’m approach this thing, I shine the light under one of the wings and see a very mellow reef shark sitting under there. A big boy. I tried to signal over to my buddy, but he didn’t notice and started swimming from the other way - on top of the wing.

When he got to the end, he looked underneath and you could see him panic and start kicking away really quick. Big boy wakes up.

We stayed down there for another 10min maybe, and every once in a while you would turn and see it’s eyes. Thing was basically circling the area. It was prob one of the biggest I’ve seen.

The swim back to the boat I was shitting myself. Refused to look back behind me.

36iwpw.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

The virus hit first in the big cities with international airports and hubs for obvious reasons.
Then it spread into the suburbs,
Now it's moving into the exburbs and rural towns and cities.

It'll be interesting to see those attitudes in July, when the big Democratic cities have lower rates than the Red areas.

The delusional attitudes of Republicans almost guarantees that those areas will become the epicenter of the next wave, and it is in those areas that the hospitals will be quickly overwhelmed, because tracing won't exist (because it infringes on privacy), that people will refuse masks (because it's an attack on my liberty), and they will congregate in church, at weddings, honky tonks, bars and restaurants. They're being told by Fox News that it's time to open up the country, and they'll open themselves to infection.

You only need 10-20% of people in those areas to be stupid on a regular basis, b/c we know "superspreaders" can turn a social event into a regional hot spot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What is funny of course, is Trump was almost never been sighted in a church until he was elected and need to suck up to the Evangelicals , and of course, his personal behavior violates practically everyone of the Ten Commandments.

Trump deems houses of worship 'essential' amid pandemic, but has no power to force reopening - CNNPolitics

Donald Trump is not an active member, church says - CNNPolitics

Has Trump found religion in the Oval Office?
Doesn't he make fun of Pence in cabinet meetings for being a holy roller?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Alabama & Mississippi are honestly two states I feel bad for anybody that lives there unwillingly.

Like people joke about California, Texas, New Jersey, Florida etc. but I’d easily take all of them over that.

Yeah and most of their residents are stuck there due to a perpetual cycle of poverty that is difficult to break free from. Especially when lawmakers intentionally make it difficult to get a quality education because they know dumb voters are their ticket to staying in office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad