All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XIV: Enjoy Every Sandwich

Which is greatest and best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Mustard: pretzels, most deli meat sandwiches, egg rolls, hot dogs, burgers, various cooking uses

ketchup: French fries and onion rings

mustard wins easily for me
giphy.gif

Reactions: Amorgus and BigToe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
i think it's quite possible that there have already been 100,000 Americans who have died from Coronavirus. This article is reporting on data from January 1st to April 16th.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...833548-8a68-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

At that time there had been 66,000 MORE deaths than expected for the period of January 1st to April 16th. About half (33, 756 were listed as Coronavirus) the other half were listed for things other than Coronavirus.

Just from March 1st to April 4th the US had over 15,000 unexpected deaths and less than half of those were attributed to Coronavirus.

There has been a very massive undercount and it's not all just a conspiracy. It's not doctors being deceitful. Much of that is standard medical practice. As someone else posted you often have people die of something CAUSED by a disease they had or treatment to a disease they had without the actual disease listed as the cause of death.

A lot of it is due to people dying from symptoms of COVID, blood clots leading to strokes and heart attacks, COVID listed as pneumonia, etc.
If someone dies outside a hospital, how many coroners are going to go to the trouble of ordering a COVID test?
When you get out of big cities, medical examiners and coroners are often unsophisticated.

"In the US, there are two death investigation systems, the coroner system based on English law, and the medical examiner system, which evolved from the coroner system during the latter half of the 19th century. The type of system varies from municipality to municipality and from state to state, with over 2,000 separate jurisdictions for investigating unnatural deaths. In 2002, 22 states had a medical examiner system, 11 states had a coroner system, and 18 states had a mixed system. Since the 1940s, the medical examiner system has gradually replaced the coroner system, and serves about 48% of the US population.[3][4]"

"The coroner is not necessarily a medical doctor, but a lawyer, or even a layperson."

Qualifications for medical examiners in the US vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In Wisconsin, for example, some counties do not require individuals to have any special educational or medical training to hold this office.[8] In most jurisdictions, a medical examiner is required to have a medical degree, although in many this need not be in pathology. Other jurisdictions have stricter requirements, including additional education in pathology, law, and forensic pathology. Medical examiners are typically appointed officers.[9]

Medical examiner - Wikipedia

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A lot of it is due to people dying from symptoms of COVID, blood clots leading to strokes and heart attacks, COVID listed as pneumonia, etc.
If someone dies outside a hospital, how many coroners are going to go to the trouble of ordering a COVID test?
When you get out of big cities, medical examiners and coroners are often unsophisticated.

"In the US, there are two death investigation systems, the coroner system based on English law, and the medical examiner system, which evolved from the coroner system during the latter half of the 19th century. The type of system varies from municipality to municipality and from state to state, with over 2,000 separate jurisdictions for investigating unnatural deaths. In 2002, 22 states had a medical examiner system, 11 states had a coroner system, and 18 states had a mixed system. Since the 1940s, the medical examiner system has gradually replaced the coroner system, and serves about 48% of the US population.[3][4]"

"The coroner is not necessarily a medical doctor, but a lawyer, or even a layperson."

Qualifications for medical examiners in the US vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In Wisconsin, for example, some counties do not require individuals to have any special educational or medical training to hold this office.[8] In most jurisdictions, a medical examiner is required to have a medical degree, although in many this need not be in pathology. Other jurisdictions have stricter requirements, including additional education in pathology, law, and forensic pathology. Medical examiners are typically appointed officers.[9]

Medical examiner - Wikipedia

There are areas in the country where "coroner" is an elected political position which is nuts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ocean City MD reopened their beaches for locals only, but I'm sitting here staring at traffic patterns showing a hell of a lot of non-locals rushing to the beach. What a bunch of idiots.

The problem isn't people using beaches, or even sitting in outdoor restaurants, it's the stupidity of people who fail to practice social distancing or wear masks in crowded areas.

The virus is primarily (and maybe almost exclusively, I'm still waiting for confirmed cases of contact transmission from infected surfaces outside of hospitals) spread by droplets exhaled (not necessarily coughing, just talking will do the job).
Outdoors, these droplets are rapidly dispersed and UV also kills the virus fairly quickly.

So as long as you keep social distance and use a mask when you're in closer proximity to people, the probability of transmission is pretty low.

But hang out in a crowd, drinking and talking, new couples sharing spit, and I guarantee you'll have hot pockets of infection.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The problem isn't people using beaches, or even sitting in outdoor restaurants, it's the stupidity of people who fail to practice social distancing or wear masks in crowded areas.

The virus is primarily (and maybe almost exclusively, I'm still waiting for confirmed cases of contact transmission from infected surfaces outside of hospitals) spread by droplets exhaled (not necessarily coughing, just talking will do the job).
Outdoors, these droplets are rapidly dispersed and UV also kills the virus fairly quickly.

So as long as you keep social distance and use a mask when you in closer proximity to people, the probability of transmission is pretty low.

But hang out in a crowd, drinking and talking, new couples sharing spit, and I guarantee you'll have hot pockets of infection.

The beach won't be the problem, it's gonna be the boardwalk

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Where I live, they had to ask 100+ groups of people to leave the boardwalk last weekend and that's only counting those that didn't move on their own upon seeing police. It's going to be a nightmare.

Wildwood is gonna need to change the tramcar message from "Watch the tramcar please" to "get the **** off the boardwalk" complete with automated pepper spray sprayers.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It's a little more complex than that.

Markets don't move much off expected news, such as a current jump in unemployment, that has already been factored into prices.
Markets do move off new information that changes fundamentals, but not necessarily media news.

So for example, a company announcing it's developing a COVID vaccine will have little impact, news of a reliable positive trial (i.e., not by a quack French doctor) of a vaccine's efficacy would have a tremendous impact, especially if the vaccine seems amendable to quick production ramp-up.

Now a media announcement of a trial will fool novice investors, the real money will have hired consultants to look at the medical literature and judge whether the study is trustworthy and the potential for rapid ramp-up. Journalists rarely have the expertise to judge the validity of a trial, they'll just quote the researchers and pump it up as click bait.

of course, nobody 100% understands the markets. I’ve managed over $250,000,000 of outside capital doing exactly opposite of the bolded. That’s a fool’s paradise in my opinion. Fundamental and technical analysis - while I do use it - should never be the basis behind an investment decision. I will argue til the day I die that accounting is NOT synonymous with fundamental analysis... they are not the same.
What I underlined is exactly correct, however, if you have to hire a consultant to make an investment decision, you probably shouldn’t be investing your money in that- this conversation I’m assuming it’s the retail investors money and not in the hands of a firms or so. If it is the firms money then I 100% agree with the underlined statement.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ocean City MD reopened their beaches for locals only, but I'm sitting here staring at traffic patterns showing a hell of a lot of non-locals rushing to the beach. What a bunch of idiots.

Delaware's State Parks have been open the whole time to DE residents, and have actually been free entry up until tomorrow. But of course they aren't nearly as popular as the beaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad