All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part V - Janitor in a Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
@Beef Invictus, coming back with another bass thang. You know Oteil Burbridge? In particular his work on Colonel Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit's live record? If not, you're welcome.

I am so glad you brought him up.

At Virginia Tech there is a Greek place called Souvlaki. It's an all-time-best hole in the wall restuarant with amazing food and 1995 prices. I was finishing dinner and looking across the street to an area that, at the time, was empty land. A stage was set up and a band was getting ready to perform. I hadn't seen any kind of notification anywhere about a concert so I was intrigued. I finished dinner and wandered over as they were starting. I was stunned to find Oteil Burbridge and the Peacemakers. Just...putting on a random, apparently unannounced free concert.

It was a great, absolutely top-notch show played for like ~50 people. My bass mentor at the time (who attended practically every concert in the area) had no idea the show was a thing and he was very bummed to have missed it.

Reactions: Audible Velvet

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Unfortunately I have a colleague who continues to say this is all exaggerated although he has moderated some after describing it as a hoax and attempt to soil Trump for the election. He has been just going out regularly even though he is 70 and said he thinks it is exaggerated bc the hospitals are not all full. I mean I just stayed quiet over the phone today and tried to stick to business....

A certain news channel kept saying it was a hoax weeks ago (they’ve since changed course) but the damage is already done

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
lol. have you looked at the conservative news sites the past few days. Notice the China headlines everywhere.

a Fantastic discussion to have when over 1300 Americans die in a single day. Let's not focus what is currently happening here.

Washington Post... noted conservative news outlet.

You’re allowed to talk about China and it not minimize what is going on in the United States. They’re separate issues and I’ve said that from the beginning of our conversation.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A certain news channel kept saying it was a hoax weeks ago (they’ve since changed course) but the damage is already done

An image that will live in infamy

5e59596efee23d0fb873eb46.jpg

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Welp you can now walk into a store with a bandana covering your face & not completely startle a clerk. :laugh:

You guys can even go full bore & cosplay as an Red Dead Redemption character with the matching cowboy hat.
I just got some custom made washable masks for my parents and I from my friend who is churning them out to donate to the hospitals. It'll feel weird going into a store like a robber.

EDIT: This is comfier that expected!

IMG_20200403_213603.jpg

Last edited:

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I just got some custom made washable masks for my parents and I from my friend who is churning them out to donate to the hospitals. It'll feel weird going into a store like a robber.

View attachment 340366

I really should get a mask...wonder if my job would mind if I went in with a plague doctor's mask on

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

View attachment 340366

The neck portion of that t shirt disturbs me :laugh:

Nice hat tho. Thank your friend for what he’s doing please.

Last edited:

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
In a slightly twisted tale of these strange times.

Buddy of mine in Toronto recently started dating some chick who is a pharmacist in one of the bigger hospitals.

She found out he had 2 boxes of N95s at home he bought back in December.

She wanted him to give her a box mainly for her family that doesn’t really like him. He said no. She dumped his ass.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Washington Post... noted conservative news outlet.

You’re allowed to talk about China and it not minimize what is going on in the United States. They’re separate issues and I’ve said that from the beginning of our conversation.
China definitely put the screws to the rest of the world and should be criticized. The amount of bandwidth spent on it 'right now' is the question.

A website I found useful when evaluating news organizations is mediabiasfactcheck.com. I've personally checked 50+ news outlets and have found the site accurate in its ratings.

I have no affiliation with said site and do not know anyone affiliated with the site. I'm posting the site as a reference for anyone to use since there is so much talk about the information out there. If it breaks this sites rules take it down and I will happily send it to anyone who wants it by PM except @JojoTheWhale as he would take over my computer and have Rachel Ray blaring on it 24/7.:thumbd:

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
China definitely put the screws to the rest of the world and should be criticized. The amount of bandwidth spent on it 'right now' is the question.

A website I found useful when evaluating news organizations is mediabiasfactcheck.com. I've personally checked 50+ news outlets and have found the site accurate in its ratings.

I have no affiliation with said site and do not know anyone affiliated with the site. I'm posting the site as a reference for anyone to use since there is so much talk about the information out there. If it breaks this sites rules take it down and I will happily send it to anyone who wants it by PM except @JojoTheWhale as he would take over my computer and have Rachel Ray blaring on it 24/7.:thumbd:

"Amateur attempts at such tools already exist, and have found plenty of fans. Google “media bias,” and you’ll find Media Bias/Fact Check, run by armchair media analyst Dave Van Zandt. The site’s methodology is simple: Van Zandt and his team rate each outlet from 0 to 10 on the categories of biased wording and headlines, factuality and sourcing, story choices (“does the source report news from both sides”), and political affiliation.

A similar effort is “The Media Bias Chart,” or simply, “The Chart.” Created by Colorado patent attorney Vanessa Otero, the chart has gone through several methodological iterations, but currently is based on her evaluation of outlets’ stories on dimensions of veracity, fairness, and expression.

Both efforts suffer from the very problem they’re trying to address: Their subjective assessments leave room for human biases, or even simple inconsistencies, to creep in. Compared to Gentzkow and Shapiro, the five to 20 stories typically judged on these sites represent but a drop of mainstream news outlets’ production.

Then there are the organizations with declared agendas. The Media Research Center and Media Matters for America scour the news for evidence of left-wing and right-wing bias, respectively.

We can probably measure media bias. But do we want to?

Third Eye Data: TV News Archive chyrons : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad