All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part V - Janitor in a Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Infotainment mostly....it's sad that we have liberal or conservative news and not just news......
I rely on the BBC almost exclusively just for that fact.

1 Their reliability for fact based reporting is right there with the AP and Reuters. The latter two's whole business model relies on quality reporting that can be sold onto other organizations.

2 They limit the number of politicians who they invite on and will not hesitate to cut off a guest who starts going off on a partisan tirade.

3 It was created by a Queens/Royal Charter so that requires the Govt to fund it but can not influence its coverage.

Which leads me to what I would like to see the US do which is set up a news organization, PBS or a new one, and set it up similar to Reuters with a Board of Governors that are independent from the Fed/Congress and whose sole job is to ensure quality fact based news for all Americans.

End rant.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Yeah he shouldn't be boasting necessarily about that...he's met with others as well. But in reality ....we've had a lot of Presidents meet defacto dictators....but they were our bastard.
Why is it bad to meet with a dictator? It’s ok to meet and try to work something out. It’s better than signing a check over and hoping they agree to be nice.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
The difference is most Presidents went through the motions of being polite, even with those leaders they detested, but never fawned effusively over dictators.
Fawned? He was calling him little rocket man for months among other things.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I don’t watch any news other than local channel 6 mainly for the weather.
You should read up on Sinclair Broadcasting. Especially entertaining is the video going around about fake news from Sinclair stations.

It's just one example and I'm sure there's some the other way.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fawned? He was calling him little rocket man for months among other things.

He's got a man crush on Putin.
Trump tends to go to extremes both ways, he's either denigrating China or fawning over Xi.

I think a lot of it is his intense insecurity combined with his narcissism, he expects to be lauded, envies dictators who can throw their media critics in jail (or kill them) and doesn't understand that being President is a political post, and not one of authority.

He's always been confused between his fantasy TV persona ("you're fired") and the reality of the business world where he's a nobody (minor real estate firm built on daddy's money, never created anything, never ran a major firm, doesn't have "real" money). As president, he has no clue how things actually work and wants to be dictator and just order people around and destroy his enemies. It's the same confusion, he has a fantasy of Presidential power and no concept of the reality - so "it's a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Ironically, if he was ever in position to be dictator, he'd be dead within a year, he's not smart enough to seize and maintain power.
Men like Putin and Xi would chew him up and spit him out.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
You should read up on Sinclair Broadcasting. Especially entertaining is the video going around about fake news from Sinclair stations.

It's just one example and I'm sure there's some the other way.
I saw the compilation video a while back. They definitely get marching orders, and all I only pay attention for is the weather.

Reactions: Asnito

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with cable news, other than bias, is they have to fill a 24 hour news cycle.
Now they could do real investigative reporting, but talking heads are a lot cheaper.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, it's good to know upstate PA is living up to its reputation:

National Guard being requested in Hazleton, Pennsylvania. On Friday afternoon, Luzerne County Manager David Pedri wrote a letter to Gov. Tom Wolf requesting the National Guard to be activated in Hazleton. The city accounts for more than 300 of the 484 cases reported in the county. One reason Hazleton is becoming a local hot spot in northeastern Pennsylvania is due to people ignoring the state guidelines. Only 18% of the community is practicing social distancing, the Citizens’ Voice reported. “I am fearful that if more aggressive steps are not taken to curb certain travel to and from the city, to enforce social distancing and ‘stay at home’ orders then our health system will be overwhelmed and our community will suffer catastrophic losses,” Pedri said.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/heal...y-country-and-other-daily-news-updates/709250

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
He's got a man crush on Putin.
Trump tends to go to extremes both ways, he's either denigrating China or fawning over Xi.

I think a lot of it is his intense insecurity combined with his narcissism, he expects to be lauded, envies dictators who can throw their media critics in jail (or kill them) and doesn't understand that being President is a political post, and not one of authority.

He's always been confused between his fantasy TV persona ("you're fired") and the reality of the business world where he's a nobody (minor real estate firm built on daddy's money, never created anything, never ran a major firm, doesn't have "real" money). As president, he has no clue how things actually work and wants to be dictator and just order people around and destroy his enemies. It's the same confusion, he has a fantasy of Presidential power and no concept of the reality - so "it's a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing."

Ironically, if he was ever in position to be dictator, he'd be dead within a year, he's not smart enough to seize and maintain power.
Men like Putin and Xi would chew him up and spit him out.
He’s a dictator!
Why doesn’t he issue a nationwide lockdown!
Let’s couch quarterback a psychological diagnosis some more. That’s always fun.
He’s got a hard on for Putin but cuts off a major pipeline for Russia to get oil from Germany.
it’s late, I’m tired, good night.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
The neck portion of that t shirt disturbs me :laugh:

Nice hat tho. Thank your friend for what he’s doing please.

Dude get a new shirt :eek:

As long as the armpits aren't ripped out, it's fine to wear as a nightshirt. And an all day after because you're not leaving the house shirt.

As for my friend, I think I would've gotten a kick out of the looks I got in public if she actually gave me the hot pink leopard print she was down to before she made the three for me and the folks.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
No matter what they did or didn't do (neither of us know what was actually done or what was going to be done) he still can't do that. End of story.

You don't get to choose when you follow the rules in the military. The whole structure is dependent on people following orders in all situations. Especially someone of his rank and position. They had no choice but to remove him after he did that, otherwise others would think they can get away with the same thing in different situations, and that simply can't happen. Someone disobeying orders or leaking things to the press during wartime could cause an unimaginable amount of damage.

The situation sucks, I'm not defending the reaction to his calls for help, and there's plenty of issues all around, but him getting fired after he did that was perfectly acceptable and had to be done. Like I said, he's lucky that's all they did and that he gets to keeps his rank and he's still in the Navy.

How far are you willing to extrapolate that statement?

Its amazing the difference in attitude American citizens have toward the military now compared to before WWII.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
As long as the armpits aren't ripped out, it's fine to wear as a nightshirt. And an all day after because you're not leaving the house shirt.

As for my friend, I think I would've gotten a kick out of the looks I got in public if she actually gave me the hot pink leopard print she was down to before she made the three for me and the folks.
I'm definitely saving on laundry....

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Yeah, just doesn’t do anything for me. Never has, for whatever reason.

Yeah, I understand GB, different strokes.

If you ever get a chance to hear good live jazz, in a good club, check it out.

Sadly, Roy Hargrove passed away a little more than a year ago from kidney failure at 49. I got to see Roy and his big band at Yoshi's in Oakland a few years ago and was mesmerized. The talent level was extraordinary, which is one of the things that makes jazz interesting to me.

Here's Roy and his quintet with a song that sorta fits the current mood:

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
so yeah...from the frontlines as it were...people still are coming out in droves to the store..like it was super packed for the most part..i wanted to punch one dude in the face who pretty much just sat in the middle of the aisle and had a whole conversation about nothing on his phone. We have still no paper products and oddly, to me at least, lack of ...flour. Milk is still in short supply, meat though, for the time being, is plentiful, save the chicken. Pasta is also scarce. Our 1500 piece order for the store was cut by like 600 pieces so the warehouses are it seems...rationing what gets sent out.

People still are dropping off recycling and now just leaving it where they want when there are huge signs saying we are not collecting it. A new sign was put up asking people if they have a bunch of different things, cough, and other such things not to come in and rumor is they may be taking staff temperatures when we come in, but they are not limiting the number of people and only reduced the store hours by 1 nightly. But the main issue i have seen is people come in..day in day out..same people. Or we see too many people just taking their sweet time shopping like it was a normal day. That and all the people out on my way in again at Washington Square, or yesterday walking down Pine St. Its amazing in a ridiculous way

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
4/4/64. One of my favorite days

HOoPy1m.jpg

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I rely on the BBC almost exclusively just for that fact.

1 Their reliability for fact based reporting is right there with the AP and Reuters. The latter two's whole business model relies on quality reporting that can be sold onto other organizations.

2 They limit the number of politicians who they invite on and will not hesitate to cut off a guest who starts going off on a partisan tirade.

3 It was created by a Queens/Royal Charter so that requires the Govt to fund it but can not influence its coverage.

Which leads me to what I would like to see the US do which is set up a news organization, PBS or a new one, and set it up similar to Reuters with a Board of Governors that are independent from the Fed/Congress and whose sole job is to ensure quality fact based news for all Americans.

End rant.

Id love that. CNN is absolute garbage.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not so sure a vaccine will as effective as many are hoping. It may not be like measles or rubella that you get one vaccine and there is no huge issue. It may be like the flu that we still can’t get a vaccine for even if that is still a massive threat every year. There is a flu in China that has a mortality rate of 40% FYI. We are going to have to rely on heard immunity and testing for antibodies. If 1/4 are asymptomatic then we may be in pretty good shape by next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Hollywood Couturier

Update on the situation with the PPP SBA Loans:

The SBA has not provided the final borrower or lender application forms we need to process PPP loans, so we are not yet accepting applications.

All we can do is give the customer a digital portal to fill out their contact information and they are contacted when the application goes live.

And I work for one of the larger banks in the country.

:facepalm:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yeah, I understand GB, different strokes.

If you ever get a chance to hear good live jazz, in a good club, check it out.

Sadly, Roy Hargrove passed away a little more than a year ago from kidney failure at 49. I got to see Roy and his big band at Yoshi's in Oakland a few years ago and was mesmerized. The talent level was extraordinary, which is one of the things that makes jazz interesting to me.

Here's Roy and his quintet with a song that sorta fits the current mood:

There is definitely something about live music that will never translate to recordings for me. Going to New Orleans for the first time was musically transformative.

I liked jazz and I could appreciate some of the bigger names, but I didn't fully get it until we spent a long weekend working our way around the local clubs in New Orleans. The big name venues like Tipitina's and the Maple Leaf are great, but the ~4 block stretch of Frenchmen St just above Esplanade is a different animal entirely. You've got ~10 quality venues essentially lined up in a row away filled with locals and none of the wrong kind of tourists. We forego any itinerary and let our ears take over. It's a yearly trip for us and I think it will be forever.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
There is definitely something about live music that will never translate to recordings for me. Going to New Orleans for the first time was musically transformative.

I liked jazz and I could appreciate some of the bigger names, but I didn't fully get it until we spent a long weekend working our way around the local clubs in New Orleans. The big name venues like Tipitina's and the Maple Leaf are great, but the ~4 block stretch of Frenchmen St just above Esplanade is a different animal entirely. You've got ~10 quality venues essentially lined up in a row away filled with locals and none of the wrong kind of tourists. We forego any itinerary and let our ears take over. It's a yearly trip for us and I think it will be forever.

My first trip to NOLA was transformative for me too. Just in a much different way.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm pretty open to jazz, but most of it only serves as background music rather than something I actively listen to.

Country in particular is a genre that I often can't even stand recorded, but gimme a live show and I'm in. Well, depending on the act. "pop" country from the 90s on is pretty brutal even though the musicians involved aren't slouches.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad