All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part V - Janitor in a Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Since this is basically just The Thread, I made pickled peppers yesterday. I might have done it wrong. I didn't really look up how to do it and some places say you should boil things and others say it doesn't matter. I didn't boil. I used mini sweet peppers, three jalapenos, and a Hungarian wax pepper. Slopped some jarred minced garlic on top, added salt and pepper, then filled 3/4 of the way with apple cider vinegar then topped off with water. I heated it under hot water and shook it all up to dissolve the salt.

upload_2020-3-31_19-10-31.png

I have no idea when they'll be done, or ready, or pickled, or whatever. Days? Weeks? Years?

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Since this is basically just The Thread, I made pickled peppers yesterday. I might have done it wrong. I didn't really look up how to do it and some places say you should boil things and others say it doesn't matter. I didn't boil. I used mini sweet peppers, three jalapenos, and a Hungarian wax pepper. Slopped some jarred minced garlic on top, added salt and pepper, then filled 3/4 of the way with apple cider vinegar then topped off with water. I heated it under hot water and shook it all up to dissolve the salt.

View attachment 339935

I have no idea when they'll be done, or ready, or pickled, or whatever. Days? Weeks? Years?
Well done. Boiling is mainly done to help dissolve the salt and distribute the flavor. I wouldn't say it is necessary and I only do it when making large batches and I let it cool first. If you add stuff to a hot brine it will cook a bit. It IS a good idea to boil your jars to sanitize them before pickling so it lasts. I've never pickled peppers, but for pickles they're usually good after about 3 days. Also, you should loosen the lid or at least open it a few times the first couple days.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well done. Boiling is mainly done to help dissolve the salt and distribute the flavor. I wouldn't say it is necessary and I only do it when making large batches and I let it cool first. If you add stuff to a hot brine it will cook a bit. It IS a good idea to boil your jars to sanitize them before pickling so it lasts. I've never pickled peppers, but for pickles they're usually good after about 3 days. Also, you should loosen the lid or at least open it a few times the first couple days.

This is all good info, thanks. I cleaned that jar, which had been a pepperoncini jar, but didn't boil it. I'll remember to do that in the future. I don't anticipate these lasting long enough for that to be a problem though. I'll get to opening and such.

I look forward to adding these to food, and when I make some pulled pork in the smoker this should be a bombad (RIP Jar Jar Binks) vinegar BBQ sauce.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Looking at the total death numbers in the US (regardless of reason) is wild. Just thinking someone could be or have been bunkered in their home could have otherwise been killed in like a car accident or something during this time is a wild thought.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Looking at the total death numbers in the US (regardless of reason) is wild. Just thinking someone could be or have been bunkered in their home could have otherwise been killed like a car accident or something during this time is wild thought.

What gets really bizarre is that car crashes really don't kill enough people per week to account for 7000-10,000 fewer deaths. The things kill about 35,000 a year, so that only accounts for less than a thousand per week. What the hell are all these apparently optional "choose your own adventure gone wrong" causes of death that are being avoided?

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Looking at the total death numbers in the US (regardless of reason) is wild. Just thinking someone could be or have been bunkered in their home could have otherwise been killed in like a car accident or something during this time is a wild thought.

less or more than average?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->