All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part V - Janitor in a Drum

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He’s a dictator!
Why doesn’t he issue a nationwide lockdown!
Let’s couch quarterback a psychological diagnosis some more. That’s always fun.
He’s got a hard on for Putin but cuts off a major pipeline for Russia to get oil from Germany.
it’s late, I’m tired, good night.

The pipeline is natural gas, and the reason Trump opposes it is not protecting NATO countries but keeping their markets open for US LNG exports to help his oil & gas company supporters.
Trump didn't care when Putin seized the Crimea and has helped kill 10,000 in the Ukraine, backing a separatist movement he helped create.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Interesting concept...

• The novel coronavirus excels at spreading because it's contagious when there are few or no symptoms.
  • That's why governments are resorting to lockdowns, travel bans, and other economy-crippling restrictions.
  • A team of 130 volunteer researchers just rolled out a technology framework that aims to help people return to work using an epidemiological principle called contact tracing.
  • Pan-European Privacy-Preserving Proximity Tracing would use Bluetooth low-energy (which nearly all smartphones have) to anonymously detect close encounters with infected users and warn those who were exposed.
  • The group says it built the framework with anonymity and privacy as a cardinal rule.

A new phone-tracing technology could tell if you've been exposed to the coronavirus — without sacrificing privacy. 130 researchers are offering it to countries for free.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There is definitely something about live music that will never translate to recordings for me. Going to New Orleans for the first time was musically transformative.

I liked jazz and I could appreciate some of the bigger names, but I didn't fully get it until we spent a long weekend working our way around the local clubs in New Orleans. The big name venues like Tipitina's and the Maple Leaf are great, but the ~4 block stretch of Frenchmen St just above Esplanade is a different animal entirely. You've got ~10 quality venues essentially lined up in a row away filled with locals and none of the wrong kind of tourists. We forego any itinerary and let our ears take over. It's a yearly trip for us and I think it will be forever.

Watching the Rebirth Brass Band at Maple Leaf Bar after eating dinner at Jacques Imo's on my first night in New Orleans was one of the best experiences of my life.

Can't wait to go back! Will definitely hit up that Frenchmen St strip.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
My first trip to NOLA was transformative for me too. Just in a much different way.

Going the discount route isn't always the way to do things.

lucy_stoole.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm pretty open to jazz, but most of it only serves as background music rather than something I actively listen to.

Country in particular is a genre that I often can't even stand recorded, but gimme a live show and I'm in. Well, depending on the act. "pop" country from the 90s on is pretty brutal even though the musicians involved aren't slouches.

Have you heard Orville Peck yet? He is reinventing what it means to be a country musician. His videos and overall vibe are David Lynchian but he sounds like young Elvis.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
The pipeline is natural gas, and the reason Trump opposes it is not protecting NATO countries but keeping their markets open for US LNG exports to help his oil & gas company supporters.
Trump didn't care when Putin seized the Crimea and has helped kill 10,000 in the Ukraine, backing a separatist movement he helped create.
Trump was not President when Russia took the Crimea.

Reactions: Defect

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There's a difference between "spin" and outright lying.
Spin is putting the best face on facts, it's basically what lawyers are taught, how to lie with the truth, by selectively omitting unpleasant facts.
Lying is just that, stating that something demonstrably false is true or something true is false.

Now at times people lie because they don't fact check and state something is true because they want to believe it's true.
So the claim that the Trump administration cut funding for the monitoring program was false, the Administration tried to cut funding but Congress re-instated it. People failed to check what actually happened so they went on a memory of intent, not result.

But a blatant like is Hannity saying he didn't call COVID a "hoax" when there's videotape of him doing just that.

One rule about lying is make sure you can't be caught, no video or audio recording, and only one or two witnesses of dubious character.
Problem is with cellphones, you can't tailor your message to subgroups anymore and pretend you didn't say that, as Mitt Romney discovered

We live in a world where lying has no consequence. And that is the sad brilliance of Trump. When you lie about everything including the minutia, you overwhelm an individual's ability to focus on any any particular lie to expose since there are just to many to focus on. Trump never admits to a lie or even bends his will to allow any wins to occur. And what is crazy is that his base is so partisan that lying to their faces has not deterred them at all. Their whole identity is not that Trump is right , but that liberals are wrong. And Trump pounds the left unnecessarily at all times. We live in a world of identity politics and we are reaping the consequences.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Lol so he did officially order 3M to not export any masks.

If any of you support this guy in any way. Do us both a favour and block me.

f***ing prick and morons for anyone that supports him. Disgusting.

Reactions: Tripod

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I’m not so sure a vaccine will as effective as many are hoping. It may not be like measles or rubella that you get one vaccine and there is no huge issue. It may be like the flu that we still can’t get a vaccine for even if that is still a massive threat every year. There is a flu in China that has a mortality rate of 40% FYI. We are going to have to rely on heard immunity and testing for antibodies. If 1/4 are asymptomatic then we may be in pretty good shape by next year.
I remember Dr. Fauci saying it doesn't mutate....that strains in China and Europe and America are the same. If that's the case hopefully those much smarter than I can nail down a reliable shot

Reactions: TheKingPin

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Lol so he did officially order 3M to not export any masks.

If any of you support this guy in any way. Do us both a favour and block me.

f***ing prick and morons for anyone that supports him. Disgusting.
I offer a deal:

Ryder, Halak, 2nd and Trudeau

for

Couts, Konecny, 1st and Trump

yay or nay

Reactions: Stizzle

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
f*** me, is today the day we get to 2000 deaths.

One prediction site using data suggests the US deaths will peak at around 2500 per day by April 16th and will then stay steady before tapering off and fizzling out by early July.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
One prediction site using data suggests the US deaths will peak at around 2500 per day by April 16th and will then stay steady before tapering off and fizzling out by early July.

right, but by all indicators, we are surging past that 2500 mark. We could be looking at 2500 by next week. if that is the case the curve gets thrown off completely and the numbers sadly may double.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad