Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

What we should talk about ? or complain about ? - well it sure shouldn't be coaching we should complain about. We have a coach that has a very young team, and has this Jet's team in first place. Also finished second overall in the Nhl last year with 114 points, so the coach must be doing something right. Some people need to complain about something all the time, and we don't have a coaching problem. Anaheim does- they lost 15 of their last 17 games --then it's time to complain.

I wonder what a coach has to do, to satisfy some posters on here. We definitely don't have a coaching problem.

Are you pleased with Niku's and Laine's progress under Maurice?

Reactions: thegr8one66

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

What we should talk about ? or complain about ? - well it sure shouldn't be coaching we should complain about. We have a coach that has a very young team, and has this Jet's team in first place. Also finished second overall in the Nhl last year with 114 points, so the coach must be doing something right. Some people need to complain about something all the time, and we don't have a coaching problem. Anaheim does- they lost 15 of their last 17 games --then it's time to complain.

I wonder what a coach has to do, to satisfy some posters on here. We definitely don't have a coaching problem.
Talking about something is not complaining. What you are doing is complaining. Some of us want to understand why. I don't care if you don't. Why do you care if I do?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I don't think we have the worst coaching it the league - I think Maurice is an awesome inspiring communicator. But we want a Stanley Cup, not just 'make the playoffs' anymore, and to increase the odds of winning coaching strategy needs to be optimized, too. Everything can be analyzed and improved.

He needs to get past some old and incorrect narratives. He already said he used to never want to switch goalies after a win, but Rutherford finally convinced him otherwise and he sees now that he had been wrong - we just need him to get past more of his incorrect narratives that result in not playing Niku and other line optimization issues. I like hearing people's discussions about that.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Are you pleased with Niku's and Laine's progress under Maurice?

Legitimate (although I think Laine is the primary source of blame in his season since November).

Do you think that these things are holding this team back to a significant degree this season? Do you think they're fireable offences, as I've seen on here?

It's one thing to talk about how Niku isn't getting any ice time, it's another to say the team would be so much better with another coach and that the team is succeeding in spite of Maurice, etc etc.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Does he? I'm not convinced he's that much better a shooter than Wheels - especially from that spot without a lot of momentum. I could be wrong.
I know Rosie's scored a couple of nice one's recently but I don't see him taking Wheels spot.

Me neither. I see nothing special in Roslovic's shot. From what I can see when he's not fanning on them or flubbing them. Hey I like the guy, and I'm not saying Wheels has a special shot either, but Roslovic is not definitively better. Roslovic has never scored more than 15 goals in any season in any league he has ever played in. Blake Wheeler has scored 20+ goals every season since 2013.

Reactions: Ducky10

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Legitimate (although I think Laine is the primary source of blame in his season since November).

Do you think that these things are holding this team back to a significant degree this season? Do you think they're fireable offences, as I've seen on here?

It's one thing to talk about how Niku isn't getting any ice time, it's another to say the team would be so much better with another coach and that the team is succeeding in spite of Maurice, etc etc.

I am not talking about firing Maurice in my post. So the premise of your question is, um, questionable.

Back to the question that I posed to GNP - Are you pleased with Niku's and Laine's progress under Maurice?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Chevy is Maurices's boss. If Chevy didn't like the way Maurice is coaching the team .. them Chevy would fire Maurice. Doesn't look like he will be doing that anytime soon, so I would say management is perfectly happy ( at least today ) with the job their coach is doing.

JMO, but I would guess any decisions to do with whom is in the roster and how they are being used is discussed between the coaches and the GM. Maurice is not working in a bubble.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Chevy is Maurices's boss. If Chevy didn't like the way Maurice is coaching the team .. them Chevy would fire Maurice. Doesn't look like he will be doing that anytime soon, so I would say management is perfectly happy ( at least today ) with the job their coach is doing.

True, but unlike us, they don't have the luxury of being able to make personnel decisions that won't actually affect the team. So, we have a lot more flexibility to shape the team as we see fit. ;)

Reactions: Jets 31 and cbcwpg

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was and am still interested in how Maurice handles our skilled players moving from the development to contention phase.

I would say there has been a bit of a mixed bag to date. Players who have really progressed under him to date are players who had the defensive foundation and grew outwards.

Players like Morrissey, Trouba, Scheifele have all blossomed as they were easy to trust by Maurice.

The other complimentary pieces like Lowry, Copp etc have also been trusted to play key roles due to their foundation.

As for skilled forwards who showed a high degree of offensive prowess with limited defense the results have been a bit more muddied.

Ehlers has been up down through the lineup and has seen his minutes decline prior to this season. This season he looks like he now has the all around game to be trusted more by the coach so I think he picks back up were he left off.

Connor and Roslovic really haven't taken any steps this season as players and both still have trouble in their end.

Laine has had a miserable year all over the ice.

To me it's looking like the skilled players have stagnated a bit or regressed as Maurice has tightened things up as the team is trying to win.

I think moving to win has also affected roster composition. Maurice would now rather have perceived safer players who dump and grind to round out the roster over more talented players that might be more prone to mistakes by trying creative stuff like Niku/Petan.

I think a player who wants to break in now will need to exhibit a solid defensive foundation or play a safe game.

I also think development will be slow for our skilled forwards until they have the defensive foundation. I think a lot are having issues moving from a freelance offensive scheme where mistakes were tolerated to a more regimented system while backfilling their defensive game.

Ehlers looks to be the first graduate from this and I would expect Connor, Laine and Roslovic to follow in due time.

I don't really agree with not playing Niku due to perceived defensive short comings and the perceived risk in his games as the players he is competing with all have short comings.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I was and am still interested in how Maurice handles our skilled players moving from the development to contention phase.

I would say there has been a bit of a mixed bag to date. Players who have really progressed under him to date are players who had the defensive foundation and grew outwards.

Players like Morrissey, Trouba, Scheifele have all blossomed as they were easy to trust by Maurice.

The other complimentary pieces like Lowry, Copp etc have also been trusted to play key roles due to their foundation.

As for skilled forwards who showed a high degree of offensive prowess with limited defense the results have been a bit more muddied.

Ehlers has been up down through the lineup and has seen his minutes decline prior to this season. This season he looks like he now has the all around game to be trusted more by the coach so I think he picks back up were he left off.

Connor and Roslovic really haven't taken any steps this season as players and both still have trouble in their end.

Laine has had a miserable year all over the ice.

To me it's looking like the skilled players have stagnated a bit or regressed as Maurice has tightened things up as the team is trying to win.

I think moving to win has also affected roster composition. Maurice would now rather have perceived safer players who dump and grind to round out the roster over more talented players that might be more prone to mistakes by trying creative stuff like Niku/Petan.

I think a player who wants to break in now will need to exhibit a solid defensive foundation or play a safe game.

I also think development will be slow for our skilled forwards until they have the defensive foundation. I think a lot are having issues moving from a freelance offensive scheme where mistakes were tolerated to a more regimented system while backfilling their defensive game.

Ehlers looks to be the first graduate from this and I would expect Connor, Laine and Roslovic to follow in due time.

I don't really agree with not playing Niku due to perceived defensive short comings and the perceived risk in his games as the players he is competing with all have short comings.
All these things are big reasons the coach is lacking. You play to your strengths. Is Petan's offence worth more than Lemieux's defence? How about Niku vs Morrow? PoMo is choosing less players with less impact on purpose and riding the shit out of one line. We aren't a one line team, but we play like one.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
All these things are big reasons the coach is lacking. You play to your strengths. Is Petan's offence worth more than Lemieux's defence? How about Niku vs Morrow? PoMo is choosing less players with less impact on purpose and riding the **** out of one line. We aren't a one line team, but we play like one.
Personally I think he just misjudges what has more impact. Although I'm not entirely sure what impact he thinks Joe Morrow could possibly have at all.

Reactions: surixon

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Personally I think he just misjudges what has more impact. Although I'm not entirely sure what impact he thinks Joe Morrow could possibly have at all.
Of course. I don't think he is knowingly choosing worse players, but it's extremely concerning that he can't choose the correct players.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

One possibility is that Maurice is always trying to instill a particular work-ethic into the team, and sometimes chooses inferior players because he believes that their drive/attitude has a positive influence. He might be leery of letting guys in through the front door based on talent alone, fearing that might undermine the work ethic or drive to get better he's trying to get guys to buy into.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
One possibility is that Maurice is always trying to instill a particular work-ethic into the team, and sometimes chooses inferior players because he believes that their drive/attitude has a positive influence. He might be leery of letting guys in through the front door based on talent alone, fearing that might undermine the work ethic or drive to get better he's trying to get guys to buy into.
I would buy this if he didn't do things like Scheif/Wheeler

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
I'd say Ehler, Scheif and Wheeler are just as poor defensively as Connor or Rosco. None of them are great in the D zone at all. The coaches could do a much better job in this area.

I wish Wheeler was as defensive in our zone as he is when he talks to the media.

One thing that drives me nuts about Maurice is how much he pumps players tires. In Laine's rookie year he was talking about how he's never seen a shot like that and he regularly turns into a fan talking about how great our guys are. These guys end up believing his hype. Can't stand that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'd say Ehler, Scheif and Wheeler are just as poor defensively as Connor or Rosco. None of them are great in the D zone at all. The coaches could do a much better job in this area.

I wish Wheeler was as defensive in our zone as he is when he talks to the media.

One thing that drives me nuts about Maurice is how much he pumps players tires. In Laine's rookie year he was talking about how he's never seen a shot like that and he regularly turns into a fan talking about how great our guys are. These guys end up believing his hype. Can't stand that.

That’s simply not true. Connor and Roslovic still have a ton to learn outside of the offensive zone. There is still a big difference between those guys when it comes to defense. Ehlers is far better all over the ice then people give him credit for. There is a reason he tilts the ice so much for that top line as opposed to Connor.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Thats hilarious. He'd be a 5 time Selke winner by now. Although personally I think his D zone is very good when he's skating.....huge caveat

Reactions: KB1971 and Duke749

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Thats hilarious. He'd be a 5 time Selke winner by now. Although personally I think his D zone is very good when he's skating.....huge caveat

All he has to do is move his feet. Too much standing around. Idk if I’d say “very good” but a lot of issues would be fixed with that one simple adjustment.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
That’s simply not true. Connor and Roslovic still have a ton to learn outside of the offensive zone. There is still a big difference between those guys when it comes to defense. Ehlers is far better all over the ice then people give him credit for. There is a reason he tilts the ice so much for that top line as opposed to Connor.
and that reason isn't his defense lol. he is just that much better at offense. ehlers is really f***ing good at driving play and producing. mind you, ehlers IS having a pretty good year defensively which is kind of weird but he's always had this kind of success when he wasn't. it's his offensive impact that makes him what he is. it's the same for almost all highly skilled players with few exceptions.

Reactions: KB1971
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad