Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
No, I'm just saying they're playing quite poorly of late.

If our wins were coming from some masterful adjustments by the coaching staff then I might give some credence to the notion that they have a good coach, but from what I've seen, Maurice is just making things worse.
Maurice could be experimenting ... as long as the Jets keep winning he can do that.
Remember how lethal the PP was?
Teams scouted and adjusted .. its a chess match and we are still winning no reason to panic.
If the Jets were out of the playoff by all means circle the wagons ... I'm with you but the Jets are in first place.
Honestly I think people (HF) are more upset about Laine not scoring 50 goals and are blaming Maurice which is insane.
I refuse to bash Laine because hes just a kid but if you are a superstar you can carry any line and right now he is not ... some (HF only) are blaming his linemates and the coach ... lol.
You should hear what other hockey fans outside of the Jets HF say about the Jets ... I'm here in Vancouver and everyone tells me how good the Jets and quite a few say they hope and should win the Stanley Cup.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Greetings, it is I, the guy with the eye. (I think it is absolutely hilarious that I have an eye with a "tear" falling down it with this screen name [I misspelled greaves, bloody embarrassing], because I used to have a cow-avatar for a few years and I changed the avatar for another reason. I just realized one day that it's a pretty awesome joke from the universe.)

First of all, would playing Niku deplete his ELC years? If so, there is the reason for that. Stretching Niku's ELC years seems to make sense if that is what is going on because there's gonna be salary to pay in Winnipeg.

Second of all, it is clear there is no in-game reason for Laine's deployment. Maurice has said time and again that he wants his team to know how to win tight games. Laine had poor underlying metrics with Scheifele? The solution has this also. It's not a real answer. Unless they seriously are going with something like "o-zone time" which makes the coaching staff blind to using rush plays. And seriously, Laine's finishing ability is fairly ridiculous so just maximize his CF% (AKA shot attempts for) and forget about the rest. Laine is playing like crap but if you really would want to use him, you would use his incredible scoring skills while letting him suck in other parts (Laine and Chef were hemmed in a lot, but they scored a RIDICULOUS amount, and that wins hockey games). BUT I do accept that this might not be best for his development.

Maurice won't play Laine with Scheifele because he cannot reverse that decision without losing his head. It's not a move he can make just to see what will happen. It's not going to happen.

I am however eagerly anticipating what they are going to do at the TDL.

I want to say again, if the coaching staff is seriously using faulty metrics, such as o-zone-time when evaluating someone like Laine, then they are just out to lunch.

I challenge the coaching staff to forget everything they know, build the strongest case for doing things the other way, and then see what that would look like. It's good for everyone to do this for everything, at least once in their life btw. Either you reveal something illogical, or you become even more confident in what you believed in the first place. Steel-man your opponents.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I will say some of the Jets struggles this season , some not all , might be because teams are bringing their best against the Jets because the Jets are viewed as one of the real contenders to win the Cup . It wasn't so long ago that teams played their backup goalie alot against us , that rarely happens now .

Reactions: ERYX

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maurice could be experimenting ... as long as the Jets keep winning he can do that.
Remember how lethal the PP was?
Teams scouted and adjusted .. its a chess match and we are still winning no reason to panic.
If the Jets were out of the playoff by all means circle the wagons ... I'm with you but the Jets are in first place.
Honestly I think people (HF) are more upset about Laine not scoring 50 goals and are blaming Maurice which is insane.
I refuse to bash Laine because hes just a kid but if you are a superstar you can carry any line and right now he is not ... some (HF only) are blaming his linemates and the coach ... lol.
You should hear what other hockey fans outside of the Jets HF say about the Jets ... I'm here in Vancouver and everyone tells me how good the Jets and quite a few say they hope and should win the Stanley Cup.
I'd be happier with these "experiments" if they weren't making the team worse. And the coaches might draw the wrong conclusions if they win in spite of their bad decisions.

Joe Morrow over Niku? We're still winning so we must be doing something right! Both powerplay units now suck but we're still winning, so who cares? Scheifele's line has been getting caved in nearly every night...but look at the standings! I can count on one hand the number of games where the Jets have outplayed their opponents this season. So what? First in the Central, baby!

Anyway, I hope the Jets are just biding their time, or fighting the flu, or playing some chess game...but this team is not as good as its record suggests and I think it's a cause for concern.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Greetings, it is I, the guy with the eye.

First of all, would playing Niku deplete his ELC years? If so, there is the reason for that. Stretching Niku's ELC years seems to make sense if that is what is going on because there's gonna be salary to pay in Winnipeg.

Second of all, it is clear there is no in-game reason for Laine's deployment. Maurice has said time and again that he wants his team to know how to win tight games. Laine had poor underlying metrics with Scheifele? The solution has this also. It's not a real answer. Unless they seriously are going with something like "o-zone time" which makes the coaching staff blind to using rush plays. And seriously, Laine's finishing ability is fairly ridiculous so just maximize his CF% (AKA shot attempts for) and forget about the rest. Laine is playing like crap but if you really would want to use him, you would use his incredible scoring skills while letting him suck in other parts (Laine and Chef were hemmed in a lot, but they scored a RIDICULOUS amount, and that wins hockey games). BUT I do accept that this might not be best for his development.

Maurice won't play Laine with Scheifele because he cannot reverse that decision without losing his head. It's not a move he can make just to see what will happen. It's not going to happen.

I am however eagerly anticipating what they are going to do at the TDL.

I want to say again, if the coaching staff is seriously using faulty metrics, such as o-zone-time when evaluating someone like Laine, then they are just out to lunch.

I challenge the coaching staff to forget everything they know, build the strongest case for doing things the other way, and then see what that would look like. It's good for everyone to do this for everything, at least once in their life btw. Either you reveal something illogical, or you become even more confident in what you believed in the first place. Steel-man your opponents.

Playing Niku or not has no bearing on his ELC. It's used no matter what.

Secondly, I feel as though Maurice is leaning more to winning now than developing long term. If a player isn't going to be able to do what he wants them to do, he won't play them as much.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I haven't had an issue with Laine's deployment ever, however it is now a problem. If you are not gonna play the guy on the top unit PP (which means he's barely going to get any PP time considering that unit stays out for 90-100secs) and only play him 2B line minutes at 5 on 5 in a contract year, they are risking souring the relationship with the player. It has to stop before too much damage is done.

I am now also convinced that Laine being removed from the #1 PP is Maurice using the stick on him. Two things I have learned about Maurice in his time here are

1. He loaths to change something that works- whether it's a line, a d pairing, a PP unit or a goalie.
2. He never changes anything about a winning lineup.

He has violated both 1 and 2 of his tendencies with this PP change. He broke up a working PP2 which I can never see him doing and continues to keep it that way as the new configurations fail, the only logical thing to assume here is that he is using PP time as stick to get Laine to improve his play (regardless of what he says in the media). I am not sure it's the smartest thing to do.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
If Maurice wanted to experiment - and actually learn anything from it - there are a lot more things I'd try before swapping Roslo and Laine on the powerplay. Really don't think that's what this is.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Playing Niku or not has no bearing on his ELC. It's used no matter what.

Secondly, I feel as though Maurice is leaning more to winning now than developing long term. If a player isn't going to be able to do what he wants them to do, he won't play them as much.

What, playing Niku has no bearing on his ELC? That's pretty bad optics. I hope there is a good reason for it. Anti-showcasing Niku for TDL reasons? That has to be it because I'm damn sure that the Jets like to develop their young players.

That's not what Maurice said. He said he wants the team to win and to develop at the same time. Before that he said he wants the team to learn how to win tight games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd be happier with these "experiments" if they weren't making the team worse. And the coaches might draw the wrong conclusions if they win in spite of their bad decisions.

Joe Morrow over Niku? We're still winning so we must be doing something right! Both powerplay units now suck but we're still winning, so who cares? Scheifele's line has been getting caved in nearly every night...but look at the standings! I can count on one hand the number of games where the Jets have outplayed their opponents this season. So what? First in the Central, baby!

Anyway, I hope the Jets are just biding their time, or fighting the flu, or playing some chess game...but this team is not as good as its record suggests and I think it's a cause for concern.
The Jets aren't as good 5v5 as they were last season. There might be a number of reasons. Clearly one issue is that their top line (CSW) has really struggled in shot metrics and xGF% and GF%. That line is a lot better with Ehlers on it, so I hope that when he returns they replace Connor on the top unit and mix things around in the other three lines accordingly.

So, how are they staying competitive? Well, it's not purely through PDO, since they are sort of middle of the pack at 100.68.

The answer lies more in special teams, but not just their performance per se. The Jets have also been much better in terms of penalty differential this season than last.

2017/18 ... -16 (24th in the NHL)
2018/19 ... +25 (3rd in the NHL)

That's a big turnaround in a positive direction.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
What, playing Niku has no bearing on his ELC? That's pretty bad optics. I hope there is a good reason for it. Anti-showcasing Niku for TDL reasons? That has to be it because I'm damn sure that the Jets like to develop their young players.

That's not what Maurice said. He said he wants the team to win and to develop at the same time. Before that he said he wants the team to learn how to win tight games.

Rookies have much less of a leash than vets do with Maurice. Niku has had some issues in his own zone, none that any rookie defenceman with a focus on offence wouldn't have, but some, so he's benched for Morrow. I think he'd be better suited to play on the AHL than in the press box, since Morrow was signed to be the PB, play a few games guy.

What any coach says in the media (unless it's Torts), and what he does are usually two different things. I don't think Maurice is a bad coach, but I think he's struggling with the win now but also develop the youth mix. The Carolina team he took to the final was not young, and the young teams he's had before were not very good. He needs to find that balance.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Rookies have much less of a leash than vets do with Maurice. Niku has had some issues in his own zone, none that any rookie defenceman with a focus on offence wouldn't have, but some, so he's benched for Morrow. I think he'd be better suited to play on the AHL than in the press box, since Morrow was signed to be the PB, play a few games guy.

What any coach says in the media (unless it's Torts), and what he does are usually two different things. I don't think Maurice is a bad coach, but I think he's struggling with the win now but also develop the youth mix. The Carolina team he took to the final was not young, and the young teams he's had before were not very good. He needs to find that balance.

You have a point in that I shouldn't take his word for it because that's just the nature of things.

If Maurice is forgetting the individual, and relying on group thinking (vets vs. rookies), then that puts the Jets at a disadvantage. I hope that is not the case, and if it is, they figure out something to extinguish it.

Then again, I don't know much about developing, but I would train everyone to be a cohesive part of this particular team which is the Winnipeg Jets. Just make everyone part of it and value their ABILITIES to have the best machine you can have. Treat everyone as an individual, not as a rookie or a vet. I don't see the logic doing otherwise. I am happy to learn though.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't had an issue with Laine's deployment ever, however it is now a problem. If you are not gonna play the guy on the top unit PP (which means he's barely going to get any PP time considering that unit stays out for 90-100secs) and only play him 2B line minutes at 5 on 5 in a contract year, they are risking souring the relationship with the player. It has to stop before too much damage is done.

I am now also convinced that Laine being removed from the #1 PP is Maurice using the stick on him. Two things I have learned about Maurice in his time here are

1. He loaths to change something that works- whether it's a line, a d pairing, a PP unit or a goalie.
2. He never changes anything about a winning lineup.

He has violated both 1 and 2 of his tendencies with this PP change. He broke up a working PP2 which I can never see him doing and continues to keep it that way as the new configurations fail, the only logical thing to assume here is that he is using PP time as stick to get Laine to improve his play (regardless of what he says in the media). I am not sure it's the smartest thing to do.
It's strange isn't it? When the 1st unit was struggling, the 2nd started scoring. The tinkering gave us 2 struggling units. Laine wasn't even the cause for the 1st units struggles - the problem was/is that the whole league seems to have figured out that every play goes through Wheeler on the half wall, and putting pressure on him and sealing the wall will kill his options and neuter the the PP.

The only changes that should have been made to the PP units is putting Buff back on the 1st unit and try some other set plays than get-the-puck-to-Wheeler-on-the-half-wall-and-let-him-pass-it-to-the-shooter play.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It's strange isn't it? When the 1st unit was struggling, the 2nd started scoring. The tinkering gave us 2 struggling units. Laine wasn't even the cause for the 1st units struggles - the problem was/is that the whole league seems to have figured out that every play goes through Wheeler on the half wall, and putting pressure on him and sealing the wall will kill his options and neuter the the PP.

The only changes that should have been made to the PP units is putting Buff back on the 1st unit and try some other set plays than get-the-puck-to-Wheeler-on-the-half-wall-and-let-him-pass-it-to-the-shooter play.
I think Connor was the biggest problem on PP1. He just gives it back to Wheeler. Perreault or even Little would be a better choice there. Connor has a great skill set.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

That power play stuff is quite embarrassing. Laine is an aircraft carrier, you don't put him in the close quarters stuff. Laine's forte is scoring from afar. If you want to try something new, then fine, but if you don't build your #1 PP around Laine, then you are quite frankly a complete moron. Slump or no slump. And for crying out loud don't they think Laine potting one on the PP is a good idea? What kind of strategy is this. I don't believe for a second that this coaching effort is the best they can come up with.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think Connor was the biggest problem on PP1. He just gives it back to Wheeler. Perreault or even Little would be a better choice there. Connor has a great skill set.
Agreed, I mentioned when Laine was pulled off the 1st pp that if Maurice felt the need to make a change, why not Connor? He's done far less on the PP than Laine. Perreault, Little, Roslo could all do as well or better, but instead he pulls off the one guy that really nobody could do as well or better than.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I know this is heresy to some, but I wonder whether Roslovic might be a better choice for right half wall, instead of Wheeler. Wheeler is a good passer, but perhaps not exceptional, and Roslovic is a very good passer. The main difference is that Roslovic has a much better shot than Wheeler, who is not really a threat. With Wheeler there, teams can sag and cut off Scheifele and Laine and give Wheeler the shot. Adding a shooting threat in that position might loosen up the D a bit.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...oh, and the other problem with Connor is that neither he nor Scheifele will go to the front of the net when the puck goes back to the point. As a result, there really are no screened shots from Buff, which takes away another threat. I think that Perreault would be a better choice there, because he can handle the puck and wouldn't be afraid to take away the goalie's eyes when the puck goes back to Buff. This won't just help with creating a screen for the point shot, but will also take the goalie's vision away if Buff is moving the puck to Laine for the one-timer. It would create a bit of hesitancy in fully committing to the Laine one-timer.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed, I mentioned when Laine was pulled off the 1st pp that if Maurice felt the need to make a change, why not Connor? He's done far less on the PP than Laine. Perreault, Little, Roslo could all do as well or better, but instead he pulls off the one guy that really nobody could do as well or better than.

Why was he pulled? Probably had something to do with this accuracy - he missed a bunch of shots wide last time they had him on #1.

Connor sits down low and has more of a passing role than shooting - he' not Wheelers go to guy on the PP when he has Scheif and Laine (or Rosie) shooting from prime time.
I haven't seen an issue with Connor on the PP considering his usage.

Laine will be back soon - I'd assume that experiment has run it's course. Even when he isn't scoring, everyone else has more room when he's out there.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
...oh, and the other problem with Connor is that neither he nor Scheifele will go to the front of the net when the puck goes back to the point. As a result, there really are no screened shots from Buff, which takes away another threat. I think that Perreault would be a better choice there, because he can handle the puck and wouldn't be afraid to take away the goalie's eyes when the puck goes back to Buff. This won't just help with creating a screen for the point shot, but will also take the goalie's vision away if Buff is moving the puck to Laine for the one-timer. It would create a bit of hesitancy in fully committing to the Laine one-timer.

Connor does go to the front on point shots - he doesn't get in anyone's face but he's there much the same as you would see Matty - they are usually looking for tips or just getting in the line of sight.
Lemmy would be a true net front presence with major disruption - if you wanted to go that route.

Reactions: raideralex99

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I know this is heresy to some, but I wonder whether Roslovic might be a better choice for right half wall, instead of Wheeler. Wheeler is a good passer, but perhaps not exceptional, and Roslovic is a very good passer. The main difference is that Roslovic has a much better shot than Wheeler, who is not really a threat. With Wheeler there, teams can sag and cut off Scheifele and Laine and give Wheeler the shot. Adding a shooting threat in that position might loosen up the D a bit.

The problem with shooting from that spot is it's not a one timer and lacks the velocity the guys on the dots get.
I like Rosie's shot but I don't see it being much better than Wheels when stationary - and I see Wheels as the better passer and better guy to have in traffic when time and space tightens up.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad