Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Thanks for sharing. I based my post off of cap friendly data, which only lists total days, not games missed or press box sittings. Glad to see my rough estimate is backed up by real data. Where did you source it?

I too want Niku to play as much as possible. He can certainly compete with with both Chiarot & Morrow, but the situation from a depth necessitates those two playing in the NHL & Niku gaining valuable minutes in the AHL. It could be argued that had he'd Poolman not been concussed in the first place, that Niku wouldn't have been called up in the first place.

The poster blaming Maurice for Niku's development has given no consideration as to how to handle the roster of a contending team, hasn't considered the waiver scenario and has no regard to the injuries that precipitated his recall.

Apparently the most important thing for Maurice & the Jets in the 2018-2019 season is making sure Sami Niku plays 82 games in the NHL.
Manual counting based on call-up and send-down dates according to eliteprospects.com.

I'd rather the Jets spend more valuable time having Chiarot and Morrow as your 7th D and call-up defenceman (either, or), rather than having Niku spend too much time in the press box. Someone like a Schlemko, while a bit expensive, would have done very well, so that Niku could have been given time to actually play in the AHL if that's the Jets' Management plan all along.

Separate note - IMO, it was a huge slap in the face when neither Niku or Vesalainen got to travel with the Jets to Finland for the two games against Florida. I'm not sure how all three of 'no consideration of handling the roster of a contending team' and 'considered the waiver scenario' along with 'no regard to injuries that precipitated his recall', leads into leaving quite literally the last Finnish players other than Laine behind in North America while the rest of the team goes across the Atlantic. If your argument here is because of development and waiver considerations, then surely you don't want Niku sitting in the press box for half of his possible games either, right?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Maurice has faults but what frigging coach doesn't , you ever take a peek at the Leafs board . They have the highest paid and apparently the highest rated coach and many posters say he's a idiot and needs to go . I will say this we are first in our division and 4th in the league and Helly still isn't in the top 15 for goals against average or save percentage . Helly was in the top 5 most of last season , Helly gets playing like last season and Laine starts putting the puck in the net and this is a contending team .:thumbu:

Reactions: GNP

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Manual counting based on call-up and send-down dates according to eliteprospects.com.

I'd rather the Jets spend more valuable time having Chiarot and Morrow as your 7th D and call-up defenceman (either, or), rather than having Niku spend too much time in the press box. Someone like a Schlemko, while a bit expensive, would have done very well, so that Niku could have been given time to actually play in the AHL if that's the Jets' Management plan all along.

Separate note - IMO, it was a huge slap in the face when neither Niku or Vesalainen got to travel with the Jets to Finland for the two games against Florida. I'm not sure how all three of 'no consideration of handling the roster of a contending team' and 'considered the waiver scenario' along with 'no regard to injuries that precipitated his recall', leads into leaving quite literally the last Finnish players other than Laine behind in North America while the rest of the team goes across the Atlantic. If your argument here is because of development and waiver considerations, then surely you don't want Niku sitting in the press box for half of his possible games either, right?

KVes I could give a shit less about he hadn’t earned anything and has allot to prove. Niku should have gone with the team he is a Fin and he earned the trip with his great year in the AHL the season before.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So, Niku's played 31 out of a possible 47 games.

So, Niku could've played in a maximum of 22 NHL games

Interesting way to significantly shorten the season, your math. When I posted the '1/2 the season' expression, the Jets had played 58 or 59 games. Niku played in 30 games between the Jets and the Moose. Pretty close to 1/2.

What rule was preventing Niku from playing more that 22 NHL games? Oh yeah, the guys in charge of his development.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well we now know that Maurice isn't happy with the teams play and hasn't been for a bit. So we will now see how he is able to handle it. Can he get them back on track and playing like last year's team down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Separate note - IMO, it was a huge slap in the face when neither Niku or Vesalainen got to travel with the Jets to Finland for the two games against Florida.

It was a slap in the face for the fans in Finland, too who I'm sure would have preferred seeing all their home grown talent on display. Hell, take them along for the trip even if they weren't going to dress. At least Niku should have gone. Maybe KV got left behind because the team was already aware he was planning on playing his Get Out of Winnipeg Free card in the coming days and felt a reward was uncalled for. In any case, this is the sort of thing that can strain relations between player and team. Somewhere along the way, some underlying resentment could come out in contract talks.

Reactions: thegr8one66

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
He has and will never be a good fit for a contending team. He has to go. But Chevy's shown how incompetent he is by extending him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt Maurice has been blind too the issues plagging this team but he seemingly has taken a hands off approach to most of them. Instead opting to leave it to the room and bets to work it out. That has seemingly failed spectacularly so far. As mentioned we will see just how good a coach he is now. Can he turn a contending team around and quickly.

Reactions: Mbraunm and blues10

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I doubt Maurice has been blind too the issues plagging this team but he seemingly has taken a hands off approach to most of them. Instead opting to leave it to the room and bets to work it out. That has seemingly failed spectacularly so far. As mentioned we will see just how good a coach he is now. Can he turn a contending team around and quickly.

Many will be taking shots on Maurice but this on the players. He deserves some blame for his static lines but even then they shouldn't be this bad. I feel bad for him actually.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Many will be taking shots on Maurice but this on the players. He deserves some blame for his static lines but even then they shouldn't be this bad. I feel bad for him actually.

Completely disagree. We saw this storm coming since early December by the eye test and the underlying metrics always supported what we witnessed. Yet, all that time the coaching staff made no intelligent or significant adjustments accordingly.

I feel we’ll be okay as long as the coaching staff starts to actually coach...you know, make adjustments and hold the vets visibly accountable.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
This year's performance is on Maurice, it seems. Who carries the responsibility for last year's, then?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Of course a lot of it is on the players but Maurice as coach is supposed to identify and correct problem areas. He let things fester for too long instead of taking a proactive approach. He elected to allow his vets to have as much rope as they wanted for a long time when it was clear there was a lot of laziness and cheating in their game. Maurice even has cone out and said that certain players aren't coached on this roster, I can maybe name one player who for the most part doesn't need coaching (Even his game has been poor lately). He seemingly only is able to make an example of the teams youngest player. Discipline has also been a major concern and he hasn't held any one accountable especially as it has been the vets taking most of the penalties.

In my opinion he has been part of the problem as he has enabled the poor play and bad habits to continue likely because the team was winning in spite of them.

Last edited:

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
Of course a lot of it is on the players but Maurice as coach is supposed to identify and correct problem areas. He let things fester for too long instead of taking a proactive approach. He elected to allow his vets to have as much rope as they wanted for a long time when it was clear there was a lot of laziness and cheating in their game. He seemingly only is able to make an example of the teams you get player. Discipline has also been a major concern and he hasn't held any one accountable especially as it has been the vets taking most of the penalties.

In my opinion he has been part of the problem as he has enabled the poor play and bad habits to continue likely because the team was win ing in spite of them.

I don't think Maurice is a poor coach as such but he is the number one problem with the team and has been all season. He seems like an average coach who has good communications with players. The problem is he's not a very good or great coach and somebody who can make Jets a true Stanley cup contender. He is quite capable running the team when everything is going fine but he can't adapt and the problems with him remain these:

1. He doesn't have the balls to separate Wheeler and Scheifele when it's obvious this should have been done quite some time ago
2. He's running his veterans (see point 1) into the ground before the play offs by overplaying them... and the veterans are now starting to show signs of this.
3. He's letting the veterans run the team instead of running it by himself and just trusting the veterans to show leadership
4. He is not able to adapt to obvious problems like you stated.. like for example playing Little and Laine together for more or less last 1,5 year when overwhelming evidence (presented often in this forum ... too lazy to search for it now) is that both players suffer from this as they are poorest possible fit you can find in the Jets team. I'm not talking about the last 20 games or such when Laine has been in a slump but the last two years. Yes Laine has a lot blame on himself but the coach is also a moron if he doesn't do his best to get his team's best goalscorer going again...especially when evidence shows that Laine has had better production with every other center in the team.
5. He is not able to react within the game fast enough and this is the main reason I don't believe Maurice can ever make the Jets the stanley cup winner

Saying that Chevy should fire Maurice immediately and let the guy from Moose coach jets or possibly to get someone like Joel Quenneville for the playoff run.

Yes, I'm sure team will start showing improvements soon enough anyways but they will not win the cup with Maurice.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think Maurice is a poor coach as such but he is the number one problem with the team and has been all season. He seems like an average coach who has good communications with players. The problem is he's not a very good or great coach and somebody who can make Jets a true Stanley cup contender. He is quite capable running the team when everything is going fine but he can't adapt and the problems with him remain these:

1. He doesn't have the balls to separate Wheeler and Scheifele when it's obvious this should have been done quite some time ago
2. He's running his veterans (see point 1) into the ground before the play offs by overplaying them... and the veterans are now starting to show signs of this.
3. He's letting the veterans run the team instead of running it by himself and just trusting the veterans to show leadership
4. He is not able to adapt to obvious problems like you stated.. like for example playing Little and Laine together for more or less last 1,5 year when overwhelming evidence (presented often in this forum ... too lazy to search for it now) is that both players suffer from this as they are poorest possible fit you can find in the Jets team. I'm not talking about the last 20 games or such when Laine has been in a slump but the last two years. Yes Laine has a lot blame on himself but the coach is also a moron if he doesn't do his best to get his team's best goalscorer going again...especially when evidence shows that Laine has had better production with every other center in the team.
5. He is not able to react within the game fast enough and this is the main reason I don't believe Maurice can ever make the Jets the stanley cup winner

Saying that Chevy should fire Maurice immediately and let the guy from Moose coach jets or possibly to get someone like Joel Quenneville for the playoff run.

Yes, I'm sure team will start showing improvements soon enough anyways but they will not win the cup with Maurice.

I agree with a lot of this but he deserves a lot of credit for turning the team around last year. He did a lot of summer prep and devised a great scheme for the team. He got buy in and the team performed exceptionally well.

It appears teams have prescouted us and it doesn't appear that he has added nuances to the system to stay ahead of the adjustments. That and there doesn't appear to be full buy in by the players and there is terrible execution.

A lot of it is problems by his own design like playing Chariot in the top 4 (Hurts our defensive game).

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I wouldn't say all of our struggles are on Maurice, but his lack of action to correct what has clearly been a struggling team for months is inexcusable.

How in God's name can you continue to roll out Laine-Little when it has been proven over and over again not to work? How can you keep playing Joe Morrow over Niku? How did you think it was a good idea to move the guy who was leading the league in PP goals over the last 2 years to PP2 and give him a fraction of the PP time.

The players need to be better, but so does the coach.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
From what I understand there are different rules within the team for Wheeler, Scheifele, Buff and Little. When those guys are coasting, the other players see that, and it can cause issues within the team. I also understand that Wheeler/Scheifele do not want to play with Laine, which can also cause a divide in the locker room. The leadership group needs to step up fast here, and I think Maurice needs to split up Wheeler and Scheifele for a period of time, to help the locker room.

I seem to recall last year, the Jets went through a bit of a lull around this time of year, and Wheeler picked a fight in practice, which got the guys fired up. Since that moment, the intensity in games really picked up as well. Maybe Wheeler needs to start another fight in practice. Trading for Stone could light fire as well.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
From what I understand there are different rules within the team for Wheeler, Scheifele, Buff and Little. When those guys are coasting, the other players see that, and it can cause issues within the team. I also understand that Wheeler/Scheifele do not want to play with Laine, which can also cause a divide in the locker room. The leadership group needs to step up fast here, and I think Maurice needs to split up Wheeler and Scheifele for a period of time, to help the locker room.

I seem to recall last year, the Jets went through a bit of a lull around this time of year, and Wheeler picked a fight in practice, which got the guys fired up. Since that moment, the intensity in games really picked up as well. Maybe Wheeler needs to start another fight in practice. Trading for Stone could light fire as well.
I don't think you should lump little in with the others. I don't think I've ever seen him coast.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I don't think you should lump little in with the others. I don't think I've ever seen him coast.
Please read my post and do not put words in my mouth. I never said Little is coasting. I said there are different rules for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->