Coach Discussion: All-purpose Coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You are making my point for me. Thank you.

You made no point. You asked a question....twice.

Are you pleased with Niku's and Laine's progress under Maurice?

Back to the question that I posed, are you pleased with Niku's and Laine's progress under Maurice?

Both inferring that you're not pleased with either players progress "under Maurice", but obviously ignorant of the fact that Niku has barely practiced under Maurice. He's likely appeared in more games than he's practiced with the Jets.

Further when Niku does become a permanent ficture on the Jets defence, his game will develop under Huddy.

As for Laine, the defensive aspects of his game has come a long way since he entered the league. Much of what his game is lacking is due to his 20 year old body. Once he physically matures these soft turnovers will go away.

On that note has he gained a pound since he entered the league? Drafted at 6'4", 206 pounds, he reported to camp this year at 6'5", 206 pounds. Perhaps he should begin taking notes of his teammates workout habits.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You made no point. You asked a question....twice.

Both inferring that you're not pleased with either players progress "under Maurice", but obviously ignorant of the fact that Niku has barely practiced under Maurice. He's likely appeared in more games than he's practiced with the Jets.

Further when Niku does become a permanent ficture on the Jets defence, his game will develop under Huddy.

As for Laine, the defensive aspects of his game has come a long way since he entered the league. Much of what his game is lacking is due to his 20 year old body. Once he physically matures these soft turnovers will go away.

On that note has he gained a pound since he entered the league? Drafted at 6'4", 206 pounds, he reported to camp this year at 6'5", 206 pounds. Perhaps he should begin taking notes of his teammates workout habits.

You stated that Maurice has had virtually nothing to do with Niku's progression as a player.

That's my point. I expect more from our coach, especially one who some people claim is great at player development. Niku is one of our most promissing and important assets. And Maurice has nothing to do with his progression in your view. That's not good coaching.

I would argue that Maurice has had a lot to do with Niku's progression as a player. He is in fact holding it back. And that's even worse.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You stated that Maurice has had virtually nothing to do with Niku's progression as a player.

That's my point. I expect more from our coach, especially one who some people claim is great at player development. Niku is one of our most promissing and important assets. And Maurice has nothing to do with his progression in your view. That's not good coaching.

I would argue that Maurice has had a lot to do with Niku's progression as a player. He is in fact holding it back. And that's even worse.

Maurice doesn't coach the Moose.:help:

Whatever issue you've invented is best taken up with Pascal Vincent. When doing so keep in mind he's the current AHL coach of the year.

Reactions: JetBlue420 and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Are you pleased with Niku's and Laine's progress under Maurice?

I have to say I'm not happy with Laine's progress, and that is due to Laine's effort, which has been sub par. You can't blame that on a coach when a player goes into a slump. Laine will figure it out, and start scoring again - I hope. This is really on Laine who is still maturing, gaining strength, and physically getting stronger, and playing with more effort. His "shot" is off right now, but that's not Maurice;s fault, and his shot will come back, when his confidence does. I think Ehler's return will help him here. Let's not forget, he was just a teenager last year. I do see him getting better with his skating and drive, but it's a work in progress.

As for Niku, he's a great skater, and a great playmaker, but I think he's vulnerable in the defensive end. ( a little small) He'll come into his own eventually, but I'd play him exactly the way Maurice has right now. I wouldn't fully trust him in the defensive zone right now. To bad he wasn't a bit bigger -- it would help a lot.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Maurice doesn't coach the Moose.:help:

Whatever issue you've invented is best taken up with Pascal Vincent. When doing so keep in mind he's the current AHL coach of the year.
That would be fine except he hasn't even played 20 games with the Moose. Maurice has had him flying around with the team so that he can watch Jets games and Joe Morrow from the press box. Solid player development there.:help:

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
That would be fine except he hasn't even played 20 games with the Moose. Maurice has had him flying around with the team so that he can watch Jets games and Joe Morrow from the press box. Solid player development there.:help:

Over the past two season there's been 318 days of NHL play. Niku has been part of just 74 days of that.

At 22 years old, I doubt 74 days of playing under Charlie Huddy have derailed his career when 77% of the past two seasons have had this 7th round pick playing under Pascal Vincent emerge as last years top AHL defensemen.

Before you get overly excited about those accolades, keep in mind Zach Redmond & Paul Postma were both AHL all stars.

Anyways, Niku is the 1st defensive call-up from the Moose. If you want to start laying blame you may as well point the finger at Byfuglien for getting injured. It's the only reason Niku was with the big club.

You're displaying a total lack of understanding how NHL rosters work. None of the Jets regular defensemen are waiver eligible.

Niku's on the Moose because the roster Chevy created necessitates this. Once the much anticipated trade deadline deal occurs, the cap space he's saved by running a 20-22 man roster will have landed us a player that will have a far more profound impact on the Jets playoff success than anything Niku could provide.

Last edited:

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
If the Jets don’t make it past the first round they need to make a coaching change, end of story, Mo’s been given all the tools and it’s beginning to look obvious that he can only fake using them for so long!

Didn’t have time to read all the recent posts so hope I’m not repeating what’s been posted. My biggest problem with Maurice is that he’s stubborn. How the heck do you go from a consummate line blending machine a couple of years back, to now refusing to make changes when it’s obvious that they need to be made?

A couple of years back I was livid that he didn’t give anyone a chance to develop chemistry. When he finally did we took off! Now things have gotten stale and have been since Vegas series and he refuses to fiddle with the 1st and 2nd lines? It’s so damn obvious that these guys need a change of scenery to spark something. Especially Laine! I’m sorry but he he sticks with this fest and second line and we exit the playoffs in the first or second round then he needs to go! With the talent we have a guy like Trotts or Quenville would have them flying!

Trotz got run outta Washington because of an impatient fan base and ownership.

knock against Trotz for the longest time is he didn't win.... Until he did.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Trotz got run outta Washington because of an impatient fan base and ownership.

knock against Trotz for the longest time is he didn't win.... Until he did.

Not saying you're wrong but remember there are also a lot more coaches who don't win and then go on to continue not winning. There can be some 'survivorship bias' in focusing on just someone like Trotz.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Over the past two season there's been 318 days of NHL play. Niku has been part of just 74 days of that.

At 22 years old, I doubt 74 days of playing under Charlie Huddy have derailed his career when 77% of the past two seasons have had this 7th round pick playing under Pascal Vincent emerge as last years top AHL defensemen.

Before you get overly excited about those accolades, keep in mind Zach Redmond & Paul Postma were both AHL all stars.

Anyways, Niku is the 1st defensive call-up from the Moose. If you want to start laying blame you may as well point the finger at Byfuglien for getting injured. It's the only reason Niku was with the big club.

You're displaying a total lack of understanding how NHL rosters work. None of the Jets regular defensemen are waiver eligible.

Niku's on the Moose because the roster Chevy created necessitates this. Once the much anticipated trade deadline deal occurs, the cap space he's saved by running a 20-22 man roster will have landed us a player that will have a far more profound impact on the Jets playoff success than anything Niku could provide.

Before you get overly excited about whatever you get overly excited about, this appears to be a very long winded way for you to say that you think it's great for Niku to get minimal game ice time this year (Moose or Jets) and instead to watch hockey from the press box. We simply have a difference of opinion, that's all.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Seems incredible to me that this thread has nearly left the front page after the recent run of games.

Interested in posters' thoughts on the coaching staff's response since the ASB to:

1) The PP
2) The PK
3) Team defense (see also "details)
4) The Laine Conundrum
5) In-game coaching, adjustments, readiness for opposing teams' game plans
6) Readying the team for the playoffs
7) ?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Jets are 1st place in the central and are heading for the playoffs in back-to-back years . I'll wait to say fire Maurice until the summer , hopefully sometime near the end of June . :naughty:

Reactions: 10Ducky10
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
So in your view, spending about 1/2 the season watching games instead of playing is solid player dev for a 22 year old top prospect. Not sitting and actually playing is being short sighted.

Ok then.

He can't spend "1/2 his season" watching from the press box, when he's spent over 1/2 his season in the AHL.

He's been up in the NHL a total of 71 days, appearing in 12 games.

"1/2 the season in the press box" is more like 10 games.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
He can't spend "1/2 his season" watching from the press box, when he's spent over 1/2 his season in the AHL.

He's been up in the NHL a total of 71 days, appearing in 12 games.

"1/2 the season in the press box" is more like 10 games.
In his first call-up (Nov 18/18 to Dec 14/18), Niku missed 12 AHL games, played in 5 NHL games, and sat in the box for the other 10. He only got his first NHL games after 19 calendar days of last playing a AHL game.

In his second (Dec 31/18 to Jan 20/19), he missed 9 AHL, played 5 NHL, press box for another 5. Again, he only got to play after 12 calendar days between his last AHL game to his next NHL game.

Last call-up (Jan 27/19 to Feb 12/19), he missed 5 AHL games, play 1 NHL, sat in box for 7.

So, Niku could've played in a maximum of 22 33 NHL games, but played only 11 - missing 26 games in the AHL. There's been 51 games in the AHL, but he could have only played a possible ~25 of them but has only played 20 (injury and travel). So, Niku's played 31 out of a possible 47 58 games. Seems fine, but for a prospect that could easily be in your lineup next season depending on Trouba and Myers (and however the left-side shakes out too even though he prefers playing on the RHD), I would much rather see him play a consistent amount of games.

EDIT: I can't count. He could've played a max of 33 NHL games, not 22.

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
In his first call-up (Nov 18/18 to Dec 14/18), Niku missed 12 AHL games, played in 5 NHL games, and sat in the box for the other 10. He only got his first NHL games after 19 calendar days of last playing a AHL game.

In his second (Dec 31/18 to Jan 20/19), he missed 9 AHL, played 5 NHL, press box for another 5. Again, he only got to play after 12 calendar days between his last AHL game to his next NHL game.

Last call-up (Jan 27/19 to Feb 12/19), he missed 5 AHL games, play 1 NHL, sat in box for 7.

So, Niku could've played in a maximum of 22 NHL games, but played only 11 - missing 26 games in the AHL. There's been 51 games in the AHL, but he could have only played a possible ~25 of them but has only played 20 (injury and travel). So, Niku's played 31 out of a possible 47 games. Seems fine, but for a prospect that could easily be in your lineup next season depending on Trouba and Myers (and however the left-side shakes out too even though he prefers playing on the RHD), I would much rather see him play a consistent amount of games.
Let's talk about Petan sitting now.. Wtf.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

So, Niku could've played in a maximum of 22 NHL games, but played only 11 - missing 26 games in the AHL. There's been 51 games in the AHL, but he could have only played a possible ~25 of them but has only played 20 (injury and travel). So, Niku's played 31 out of a possible 47 games. Seems fine, but for a prospect that could easily be in your lineup next season depending on Trouba and Myers (and however the left-side shakes out too even though he prefers playing on the RHD), I would much rather see him play a consistent amount of games.

Thanks for sharing. I based my post off of cap friendly data, which only lists total days, not games missed or press box sittings. Glad to see my rough estimate is backed up by real data. Where did you source it?

I too want Niku to play as much as possible. He can certainly compete with with both Chiarot & Morrow, but the situation from a depth necessitates those two playing in the NHL & Niku gaining valuable minutes in the AHL. It could be argued that had he'd Poolman not been concussed in the first place, that Niku wouldn't have been called up in the first place.

The poster blaming Maurice for Niku's development has given no consideration as to how to handle the roster of a contending team, hasn't considered the waiver scenario and has no regard to the injuries that precipitated his recall.

Apparently the most important thing for Maurice & the Jets in the 2018-2019 season is making sure Sami Niku plays 82 games in the NHL.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Thanks for sharing. I based my post off of cap friendly data, which only lists total days, not games missed or press box sittings. Glad to see my rough estimate is backed up by real data. Where did you source it?

I too want Niku to play as much as possible. He can certainly compete with with both Chiarot & Morrow, but the situation from a depth necessitates those two playing in the NHL & Niku gaining valuable minutes in the AHL. It could be argued that had he'd Poolman not been concussed in the first place, that Niku wouldn't have been called up in the first place.

The poster blaming Maurice for Niku's development has given no consideration as to how to handle the roster of a contending team, hasn't considered the waiver scenario and has no regard to the injuries that precipitated his recall.

Apparently the most important thing for Maurice & the Jets in the 2018-2019 season is making sure Sami Niku plays 82 games in the NHL.

I disagree with your post. If you are referring to me, don't state bull about what's important to me.

You are happy with the Jets development of Niku. I am not. Bye

Reactions: thegr8one66

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am okay with Niku sitting in the pressbox if that's what it takes. The only way he's going to get opportunities in the NHL this season is if he's the 7th d-man sitting in the pressbox when a dman goes down. If instead the Jets had called up Stoyekovich or Schilling to sit in the pressbox so that "Niku could get some games at the AHL level" then those guys not Niku would have played against the Sens (and earlier in the season) and it would have taken away opportunities from him to establish himself.

I know many want that pressbox spot to be given to vet who should just be keeping the spot warm and filling a hole in practices but never be in the lineup but that never happens, the "pressbox seat warmer" is never the "pressbox seat warmer" that guy gets the first shot at the lineup when someone goes down. That's just the reality of how NHL teams operate.

This is not like a Petan/Dano situation yet and he has played in pro leagues his entire career so I'll take the trade-off of him sitting in the PB and getting looks in games in case of injuries as opposed to playing with the Moose consistently and having no shot at the NHL lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->